Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Why do we intervene in that country's affairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,941 times
It is not about caring, it is about wagging the dog.

Wag the Syrian Dog

Wag the Dog” is a political strategy in which a national leader starts a military operation to divert negative attention away from himself. In 1997, Hollywood produced a Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman movie by the same name about an American President caught up in a sex scandal that decides to start a war in the Balkans to distract the public. Eighteen months later with President Bill Clinton facing a sex scandal, he started a war in the Balkans.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Obama has resisted the war mongers on this one thank goodness. I believe that even arming the opposition is a BIG mistake. The rebels are full of folks the USA is supposedly at war with in the war against terror. It's Sunni vs Shia Islam and the USA will obviously side with the Sunni side seeing Saudi Arabia is Sunni and joined at the hip to Washington.

Even Israel will support the Sunnis in a battle between the sects. The thing that I find most perplexing is that, in these Arab revolts, if the Shia side wins then the Christians in that country will be persecuted severely. The American Christian right is strangely silent on this fact!

Old 06-15-2013, 04:19 PM

515 posts, read 716,715 times
I'm curious as to why no one seems to know to which sect of Islam Barak HUSSEIN Obama belongs or belonged.

Is/was he a Sunni or a Shia? Could he be influenced by some existing or lingering religious loyalty?

Either way, I vote we stay the he'll out of Syria! Completely out of it.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:02 PM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
My question is why the idea to intervene in Syria has been hushed down until now. I would have expected them to act almost quickly like in Libya. It's been over two years now since the Syrian Civil War started. What does the Government have to gain there? Did they discover new oil reserves or is it something far more valuable (or dangerous)?

~never-more

Old 06-15-2013, 05:35 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
My question is why the idea to intervene in Syria has been hushed down until now. I would have expected them to act almost quickly like in Libya. It's been over two years now since the Syrian Civil War started. What does the Government have to gain there? Did they discover new oil reserves or is it something far more valuable (or dangerous)?

~never-more
See post #2.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't think there is an easy answer ..... more likely to be a combination of factors.

1. News of the Syria intervention might turn the Sunday shows away from the IRS & NSA Scandals (Benghazi is always mostly ignored).

2. Susan Rice (the new 'incoming' National Security Advisor and Samantha Power (the yet to be confirmed 'incoming' United States Ambassador to the United Nations) were the main push behind the Libya intervention, based on the Responsibility to Protect Doctrine .... they were aided by Hillary Clinton. Power and Rice have a lot of power and influence with Obama ...... the UN Human Rights group is now saying that 93,000 people have been killed in the last 2 years.

3. Bill Clinton was widely reported (calling Obama a "wuss" and "embarrassing", the day before Obama's spokesman made the Intervention Announcement on Syria ..... Obama typically responds to that type of thing.

Bill Clinton: Obama Risks Looking Like A 'Wuss,' 'A Total Fool' If He Doesn't Act On Syria - 6/13/13, Huffington Post

4. One of the "insider" reports says that the Obama Administration has known for a month that Syria was using Sarin Gas, but that it was the recent information (a couple of weeks ago) about Hezbollah moving their fighters into Syria that caused them to make this decision.

WOW .... I'm sure they do hope this gets the discussion off of the IRS (which has to bother them the most) and the Super Spying on Americas (which is just as bad as the IRS Targeting political opponents). I think both Rice and Power have influence, I think what Bill Clinton says has more influence ..... the press loves former President Clinton. The Hezbollah thing doesn't fly at all ... even I knew that Hezbollah and Iranian fighters have been in Syria for at least a year.

Final thought ..... we actually might have been able to do something in Syria two years ago, al-Assad was easily cowed when the Israelis buzzed all his residences and Damascus in 2006 to keep him from even thinking about getting involved in the Hezbollah/Israel war of 2006. He is a coward, most Bullies are cowards ..... hard for us to 'suddenly' decide that 93,000 slaughtered Syrians is now something we have to "fix". What began as a 'revolution', morphed into a Civil War and is now a full blown Sectarian Religious War.

Some early intervention with Superior Air Power to war al-Assad to play nice with his Non Violent protestors - is now a Sunni VS Shia Sectarian Religious Regional War . We have no business in that.

Unfortunately .... Obama bet the Bank on Turkey and the Islamist party ( that Erdogan leads there - the AKP Party), The Washington Post is reporting that Turkey and Jordan will "lead" this US Intervention and Arming of the Syrian Rebels..

Erdogan and the AKP are now fighting their own people who are protesting against the Erdogan Policy. Things are about to go from Bad to Worse.

Delayer in Chief
The United States hoped to build Turkey into a model democracy in the Middle East, and to wait out the turmoil of the Arab Spring. Both policies have failed.

Bottom Line ...... the "Lead from Behind" Obama Doctrine is no joke (this is literally what they do), I've also read that Obama sets great store by his internal polling apparatus, he may be trying to distract the Leftists away from the NSA thing to Syria ...... I think that's a bad move - Read Andrew Sullivan (Big Obama supporter) in the Dish - Obama’s Betrayal On Syria

I suspect none of the "real" decision makers in Washington have a clue about what's going on in the Mid-East, North Africa, the Levant or even in Turkey. I think they are all in a Panic Mode and willing to try anything to "Fix it".

We are in for a Bumpy Ride and so are the areas mentioned above.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
I'm curious as to why no one seems to know to which sect of Islam Barak HUSSEIN Obama belongs or belonged.

Is/was he a Sunni or a Shia? Could he be influenced by some existing or lingering religious loyalty?

You are joking with this post, right?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post

lol, yep... and stay out unless of course you want to take everyone's mind off the IRS scandal.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I don't think this is to divert attention from current scandals. Syria has the potential to draw a negative reaction 1000 times larger than any of these internal scandals, the US is war exhausted, extremely low approval rating for entering Syria and he is a second term president. This could literally lead to a world war. Much more serious than the Benghazi scandal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies