Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Unions drive businesses bankrupt all the time,we were union carpenters here in southwest CO till about 1980 when the wages couldn't compete anymore and now I make more than a union Carp in NY cause all the money goes in my pocket not to union dues funneled to the dem party,we are way better off now
So you say but where are the stats on this. And how much were your dues. Did it make that much a difference in your pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
idk... anyone can drive a truck. If the private market is dictating a higher wage and better benefits than unions negiotiate for work anybody could do I would be srsly shocked. I don't think you realize how good the insurance/vacation/salary is for union workers in non-right to work states.
I have been in this industry for over 40 years.. You don't think I know what a union truck driver gets in wages and salary? Anyone can't do the kind of driving I do.... Especially union drivers... They don't have the skill sets.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you say but where are the stats on this. And how much were your dues. Did it make that much a difference in your pocket.
My stats are my little brother is a union Carp in NY and makes 45 an hour but mostly sits on the bench hoping for a job and pay's 60 a month in union dues. Me if you follow my CD posts have been working 60 to 70 hours a week and turning down work I cant do. I am in my 60's and the last of my breed. The young children all dream of college degrees that will start them off at 150 grand as a new employee. jokes on them.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I have been in this industry for over 40 years.. You don't think I know what a union truck driver gets in wages and salary? Anyone can't do the kind of driving I do.... Especially union drivers... They don't have the skill sets.
Surely not. They are lazy surly ****s who have their union negotiating way more for them than the market says they "deserve." You have a job that requires training, but not a degree. Not everyone could do it because of the traveling, but plenty of people could. You're not getting better than the people who negotiated better, because if you were, your company would lay you off and have some 18 year old kid do it.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
In the same breath you are saying unions pay less for the same work than non-union companies. Make up your mind bro. This situation should not theoretically happen in your world.
You weren't talking to me...but he can be correct...

I worked 2 jobs of the same vocation, one union and one non-union.

Fact of the matter is that my salary was actually slightly higher in the non-union job, but it cost my employer more to employ me in the union job.

Consider this...in the Union job there were roughly $1,000 in Union Dues...a union owned health insurance company that we bought through that did provide a slightly better service, but at a cost of over $20K a year versus $13K a year for health insurance at the non-union...the Union job put more money into my gov. pension versus the free 10% into my 401K in the non-union job etc...

The non-Union job also had some benefits that the Union job didn't 1) Bonus Pay based on Merit, 2) Bonus Pay based on not taking days off, 3) Flexible spending account

P.S. great coworkers in both spots, but certainly the average coworker is much more hard working in the non-union job - you get evaluated every year and poor performers get laid off...also the merit bonus pay is desired in the non-union job.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Surely not. They are lazy surly ****s who have their union negotiating way more for them than the market says they "deserve." You have a job that requires training, but not a degree. Not everyone could do it because of the traveling, but plenty of people could. You're not getting better than the people who negotiated better, because if you were, your company would lay you off and have some 18 year old kid do it.
I am my company... My company is not going to lay me off... At least not until I'm ready to be laid off... Not too familiar with the trucking industry are you.... What I do, union drivers can't do...What I do, very few drivers in this country can do... What you know about my occupation wouldn't fill a thimble...

Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I am my company... My company is not going to lay me off... At least not until I'm ready to be laid off... Not too familiar with the trucking industry are you.... What I do, union drivers can't do...What I do, very few drivers in this country can do... What you know about my occupation wouldn't fill a thimble...
You ARE your company -- so as I said before you are management, lol. Most people never will be as I said before. Moot argument.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
You ARE your company -- so as I said before you are management, lol. Most people never will be as I said before. Moot argument.
I am ALSO my labor force.....

Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Why the hatred of unions in the USA ? unions fought for and won all the rights that people take for granted at work. I employed an American in Australia for my post stressing team, but there is no way he wanted to join a union so I ended up doing his contract myself. But here is the kicker, I told him no union no profit share, would the average American give up income not to join a union ? But the hypocrisy is this, he was happy to take the six weeks of holiday time that had been won by the union.
Much of it is jealously, there was a study that showed poor white trash often wanted those doing better economically to lose their economic standing and be on the same level as they were.

Also, in this country, much of the propaganda put forth on FOX News and other conservative outlets all pound the message into their low information listeners heads that unions are bad and evil. And this one-two punch has been very successful.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I am ALSO my labor force.....
You own your business. Most people never will. You MIGHT earn more in a non-union position. You WILL PROBABLY earn more in a union position. For 95% of people, the union position is the better option. The sure thing vs. the possible. You earn more than Teamsters, but most people in your field wouldn't. Congratulations on your success, but 95% of people wouldn't have that success.

The logical choice for 95% of people is the sure thing union job over the POSSIBLE more money. The exceptional will go on to do well without the union. News at 11.

This doesn't contradict anything I've said in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies