Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
RTW is freedom of association. It should be the law in all 50 states. If your unions didn't stink, they would thrive anyway..instead they are becoming microscopic in size.
Then please always exercise your right to not be associated as a worker in a unionized workplace. Then it doesn't matter if you work in a right to work state, or not, as difficult as it is to run into a unionized workplace.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-16-2013 at 02:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Your point is why right to work has been so slow to spread to the other states since Okalahoma voted it down in 1964. Surely, a lot of companies don't want to bring right to work in and make the unions work harder to convince workers to give them money. The main purpose for bringing right to work to a state is not to try to keep unions out. Rather it is to weaken and eventually throw out well established unions who have been around in plants for many years.
Is Oklahoma not a RTW state?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
RTW is excellent. It allows people the choice to join or not join a union. The union never hired them, an employer did. So they should be free to decide on any 3rd party relationship at any time.
So to listen you, labor unions severely need to figure out to represent all workers free of charge. Maybe there is such a thing as arbitrators who work for free.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Is Oklahoma not a RTW state?
Only since 2001 when it voted to adopt right to work. Back in 1964, though, Oklahoma voted not to accept right to work and so brought to a halt the momentum right to work once had in spreading to the states since the 1940s. Only in recent years has right to work been trying to make a comeback, mostly as a way to weaken or get rid of government labor unions.

Adopting right to work has done Oklahoma very little good. Not even the GM plant wanted to stay in Okahoma after right to work was passed. It's good economy is due to the energy industry doing well, not right to work. While a number of major oil companies moved out of Oklahoma in favor of Houston after right to work passed, smaller ones, like Devon and Chesapeake, stayed and prospered.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-16-2013 at 02:22 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Can you please condense these post together? It's a headache to see multiple posts by one poster take over an entire page.
Oh, please, if you got something highly intelligent and informative to add, then please, by all means, put me on IGNORE.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Oh, please, if you got something highly intelligent and informative to add, then please, by all means, put me on IGNORE.
You okay? You seem to be on a war-path here, I'm only making a suggestion that could benefit both you and I. You could get a infraction because of this, or you could have all the work you put into those posts deleted. I don't ignore anyone here, I appreciate any and everyone's input including yours but the manor in which you present it is going to lead to many people ignoring your work.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post

Unions shot themselves in the foot when the spent the 60s 70s and 80s killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
Would you have expected American NON unionized workers during the 60s to 80s to take a pay cut in response to all the cheap stuff Japan was sending to this country, such as steel?

Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
You okay? You seem to be on a war-path here, I'm only making a suggestion that could benefit both you and I. You could get a infraction because of this, or you could have all the work you put into those posts deleted. I don't ignore anyone here, I appreciate any and everyone's input including yours but the manor in which you present it is going to lead to many people ignoring your work.
I'm on no warpath. I'm merely respecting as well as reminding people of the right to put people on ignore whose contributions they don't like, or agree with.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
I am quite sure I am on dozens of peoples ignore list here... LOL

Old 06-16-2013, 02:37 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
You're showing your ignorance, because it's been a fact ever since the 1940s that it's against the law to first be required to join a labor union as a condition for securing a job.

Not in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies