Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Poll: Most Americans Cheering For Spurs In Finals « CBS Miami
This is the kind of thing I find fascinating. PPP did a poll to find out who favors which team in the current NBA finals. While Americans overall like the Spurs, Obama supporters favor them by a scant 28-25 margin. Romney voters favor the Spurs by a 37-15 margin, while 'very conservative' people favor the Spurs by an even more lopsided 42-15. Numbers are less than 100%--presumably the rest had no opinion. 42-15 is just under a 3-1 margin.

Speaking for myself, I would call myself very conservative, and am rooting for the Spurs. Part of it goes back to David Robinson, former Spur, former Navy officer, patriot, and all around good guy. Part of it is the idea that the Heat 'jumped the queue' to build their team. I don't know if jumping the queue is a liberal value, but the fact is that for some reason, libs have warmed up to the Heat much more than cons. Anybody have any theories as to why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 06:31 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Only a boring drip would inject politics into a non political entertainment event.

Reminds me of a co-worker who had the personality of a wet mop

Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Miami is seen as a liberal mecca of hedonism and decadence.

San Antonio is in Texas.

That solves that one.

Me personally, as much as I detest Miami for the reasons you describe, historically as a Lakers fan, I despise the Spurs more. I'm rooting for Miami.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Miami is seen as a liberal mecca of hedonism and decadence.

San Antonio is in Texas.

That solves that one.

Me personally, as much as I detest Miami for the reasons you describe, historically as a Lakers fan, I despise the Spurs more. I'm rooting for Miami.
Miami is also home to Cuban immigrants, approx. 60% Republican. And Dallas is in Texas too, and I don't see any conservatives rooting for Mark Cuban's Mavs. I believe there is something more to it than your hedonism/Texas theory.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
San Antone is a very "salt of the earth", unpretentious city. It is a very historic city and beloved by Texans and non-Texans alike. It is known for having very excellent ethnic relations. Its diversity is natural and not forced. You don't hear of ethnic conflicts there. Maybe that's what conservatives admire.

Miami may have a lot of Repubs but it is definitely a blue city in a blue region of a purple state. SA is a purple city in a red state.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i root for the spurs because sean elliot played for them during his pro career, as did steve kerr and a few other arizona wildcat stars.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
We are Military town USA. More Retired Generals and Good Military folk live here. We still have Brooks Aerospace Medicine, Ft. Sam Houston, Lackland and Randolph AFBs.

We love our Military folk.

Brooke Army Medical Center Burn Ward and Wounded Warrior Project

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
San Antonio has Tejanos. aka 7 th to 8th generation Hispanics who are as American as anyone.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Miami is no more hedonistic than San Antonio. It's simply more glamorous because it's on an ocean, has more international flavor and appeal, which means there's a lot more to do. They also have the most beautiful women in America with the exception of NYC.

San Antonio is provincial and land locked. That doesn't mean it's a town full of saints...just that the hedonism goes further under the radar.

That aside, I just don't get how people get so deep into politics that they even apply it to sports. Personally, I love the teams I grew up loving (Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings, Arizona St. Sun Devils), and I hate all teams that aren't mine and wish them the worst. I don't root for any individual players that aren't on my squad.

All that political hogwash is laughable. Can't be a real sportsfan if you think like that. Go hang out with fantasy geeks. (another group I hate)

Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Poll: Most Americans Cheering For Spurs In Finals « CBS Miami
This is the kind of thing I find fascinating. PPP did a poll to find out who favors which team in the current NBA finals. While Americans overall like the Spurs, Obama supporters favor them by a scant 28-25 margin. Romney voters favor the Spurs by a 37-15 margin, while 'very conservative' people favor the Spurs by an even more lopsided 42-15. Numbers are less than 100%--presumably the rest had no opinion. 42-15 is just under a 3-1 margin.

Speaking for myself, I would call myself very conservative, and am rooting for the Spurs. Part of it goes back to David Robinson, former Spur, former Navy officer, patriot, and all around good guy. Part of it is the idea that the Heat 'jumped the queue' to build their team. I don't know if jumping the queue is a liberal value, but the fact is that for some reason, libs have warmed up to the Heat much more than cons. Anybody have any theories as to why?

It must have been a real slow Saturday for you.

I cannot imagine there is ANY scientific basis to this poll or its results. What a waste of money, human effort, air and other natural resources... and besides, who even cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies