Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 05:13 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Subway rider robbed and thrown onto tracks in Manhattan - Man robbed and thrown onto subway tracks on East Side of Manhattan | 7online.com

Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria - NYPD searching for subway performers who attacked man on F train in Astoria | 7online.com

Video released in violent Brooklyn subway attack - NYPD releases surveillance video in violent Brooklyn subway attack | 7online.com

Shooting in a crowded subway car would violate gun safety law 3 - 4 Laws of Gun Safety If I were violently attacked like in the news reports above, then I would protect myself with every means necessary.
It's much easier to assume you can make a difference on the internet, real life is quite a different story. I don't want any vigilantes firing away because they think they can save the day. Here is a real life example where a cop was hot in the head and survived. There have been many cases where pulling a gun out in defense does more harm than good.

Quote:

Burke asked Brennan if he had his finger on the trigger while pursuing
Ortiz.

"No," the sergeant replied. "You don't put your finger on the trigger unless
you intend to fire." He said he refrained from firing his sidearm to avoid
wounding bystanders

NYPD Sgt. Kevin Brennan testifies of being shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So if you have a registered gun, or even a non-registered gun and it is stolen, do you just say "oh well, guess I need to buy another gun." or do you report it being stolen? Seriously, sometime the gun lovers act like they are the most helpless bunch in the world.
So what if you report it stolen? It's still gone. Tell me, is reporting it stolen going to stop someone from using it in criminal activities? And just so you know, I don't own a handgun. lol

Quote:
So you have no interest in knowing where criminals get their guns, and want to cut off those routes of gun trafficking? Now that is talking naive.
I live in Illinois, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. Somehow, there are still guns everywhere. There are 13 year old kids in Chicago that have guns. Having more strict laws won't change anything.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
So what if you report it stolen? It's still gone. Tell me, is reporting it stolen going to stop someone from using it in criminal activities? And just so you know, I don't own a handgun. lol

I live in Illinois, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. Somehow, there are still guns everywhere. There are 13 year old kids in Chicago that have guns. Having more strict laws won't change anything.
Would you report your car if it were stolen or do you simply throw your hands up in the air and say "oh well?"

The strict gun laws of Illinois doesn't matter if one can simply drive over to Indiana with lax gun laws and get a hold of any weapon they want. Having a universal background check that is applied to all sales of guns, including private sales would go beyond our current state by state law and would make it harder for someone to simply go to a state with less gun laws and purchase a gun to be used in a crime in another state.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Isn't it funny that it is harder to get a legal gun than it is to vote...

Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Would you report your car if it were stolen or do you simply throw your hands up in the air and say "oh well?"

The strict gun laws of Illinois doesn't matter if one can simply drive over to Indiana with lax gun laws and get a hold of any weapon they want. Having a universal background check that is applied to all sales of guns, including private sales would go beyond our current state by state law and would make it harder for someone to simply go to a state with less gun laws and purchase a gun to be used in a crime in another state .
No it wouldn't, not at all. All they would have to do is find someone willing to sell them a gun without doing a background check. It wouldn't make it any more "hard" for a criminal to get a gun, all it would do is add one more law to the already long list of laws they would be breaking.....

That is what those who push for Universal Background Checks just can't seem to understand..... There is no firewall between a private seller and a buyer, and therefore, there would be nothing to ensure that the seller actually does the background check before selling the gun. You seem to think that if a Universal Background Check law were enacted, then suddenly it wouldn't be possible to buy a gun without going though the check. Not so.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:35 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
No it wouldn't, not at all. All they would have to do is find someone willing to sell them a gun without doing a background check. It wouldn't make it any more "hard" for a criminal to get a gun, all it would do is add one more law to the already long list of laws they would be breaking.....

That is what those who push for Universal Background Checks just can't seem to understand..... There is no firewall between a private seller and a buyer, and therefore, there would be nothing to ensure that the seller actually does the background check before selling the gun. You seem to think that if a Universal Background Check law were enacted, then suddenly it wouldn't be possible to buy a gun without going though the check. Not so.
That's just it. Enforceability. Which is the subject at hand. A UB R is a worthless proposal. all around. First, it requires central registration, like we would all the comply with that. Then, folks have to call in the checks. again, non compliance, and who's to know?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

You must of missed where I said something like this wouldn't just happen overnight, it would take time, if not years before it could go into full effect, not something that could happen overnight.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That's just it. Enforceability. Which is the subject at hand. A UB R is a worthless proposal. all around. First, it requires central registration, like we would all the comply with that. Then, folks have to call in the checks. again, non compliance, and who's to know?
Even if there were such a thing as a UB STILL it won't count the Mentally Ill with out vast changes in the LAW.

There is no mentally Ill Data base and if there is the Feds are somehow keeping it a secret as if these feds could keep a secret. LOL

And then most of the Admin we have now would be on the list! You just know Obama is certifiable as are the 8, and gun grabbers! Every last one of them is a nut case!

What a joke.

I am not worried a bit..... In fact i welcome them to just try..

Old 06-23-2013, 05:11 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
You must of missed where I said something like this wouldn't just happen overnight, it would take time, if not years before it could go into full effect, not something that could happen overnight.
Whats going to change between now and ten or even fifty years from now? There is still no firewall between a private seller and a buyer, and still no way to ensure the seller will actually conduct the background check.

You guys are long on promises and short on explanations. You all want to push for background checks, but never want to give an answer as to just how it would work and be effective at it's intended purpose. All you say is "it will work, just give it time"

You tell me how?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 06-23-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's much easier to assume you can make a difference on the internet, real life is quite a different story. I don't want any vigilantes firing away because they think they can save the day. Here is a real life example where a cop was hot in the head and survived. There have been many cases where pulling a gun out in defense does more harm than good.

NYPD Sgt. Kevin Brennan testifies of being shot
LOL...you say real life is a different story, yet you talk about "Vigilantes firing away to save the day."

You need to step into real life....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies