Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times

Advertisements

I wish parents like the father in this story understood the damage they do to their kids when they coddle them and teach them that they are on the same standing as adults and that they may disrespect adults because daddy will side with them. I wish they understood the disadvantage they put their precious little boys and girls in when the little guys and girls finally leave the cocoon. I'll bet those of us who are bosses or teach at the college level see this all the time. You don't really blame these kids, as obnoxious as they are, you blame their idiotic, misguided parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Cycle of ignorance.
Another mouthy punk kid to disrupt the learning process for many,
cuz mouthy punk parents want to be on that therr real TV thang . . .

derp.
Would there have been any disruption had the teacher not started one? Was there a mass class uprising due to this shirt or, more likely did it just offend the teacher?

Looks to me to be the usual left leaning liberal teacher forcing an opinion on the helpless students.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I wish parents like the father in this story understood the damage they do to their kids when they coddle them and teach them that they are on the same standing as adults and that they may disrespect adults because daddy will side with them. I wish they understood the disadvantage they put their precious little boys and girls in when the little guys and girls finally leave the cocoon. I'll bet those of us who are bosses or teach at the college level see this all the time. You don't really blame these kids, as obnoxious as they are, you blame their idiotic, misguided parents.
I'll yield some of my harshness to this. A lot could be by proxy but it isn't worth the risk. I doubt the kid came up with an interpretation of the Bill of Rights on his own.

I'm all for fighting/shaming the school in civil matters just the line should have been backed up from.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Would there have been any disruption had the teacher not started one? Was there a mass class uprising due to this shirt or, more likely did it just offend the teacher?

Looks to me to be the usual left leaning liberal teacher forcing an opinion on the helpless students.
We don't know. Schools are a place of power and government and we know the latter often abuses the former with a great deal of arrogance.

The problem is, unless the parents file a lawsuit how will we find out? The escalation bought the teacher a pass. It became background and not the issue to be decided. Unless a lawsuit is filed.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'll yield some of my harshness to this. A lot could be by proxy but it isn't worth the risk. I doubt the kid came up with an interpretation of the Bill of Rights on his own.

I'm all for fighting/shaming the school in civil matters just the line should have been backed up from.
Bratty parents tend to have bratty kids.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
#1) He was given and order by a teacher and refused. That alone should have been sufficient reason for discipline, and his parents should have been called as soon as he refused.

#2) Why are students (and I use the word loosely) allowed to wear tee shirts to school in the first place excet for P.E. classes? There should be a MUCH more stringent dress code in place for the student body.

#3) Obviously he was not smart enough to shut up when ordered to by the officer. That is clearly obstruction of justice.

Someone taught this miscreant that rules were made for other people. I would imagine the judge will straighten him out on this point.
I appears to me you don't really have much of a grasp of how the laws in the US work. I agree with you there should be a dress code in school, but when there is not I see nothing wrong with a tee shirt and the writing on it unless that writing is profanity. Your #3 argument gives the rest of us readers what insight you have into our system of laws. In my years as a law enforcement officer, I've never found any law against talking as long as you are not causing some kind of alarm to the bystanders around you. In other words, they cop has no right to tell this kid to shut up. This is a case of a cop trying to stop something that he thinks is against the law, when in fact it is not. No body likes a loud mouth kid, but it isn't against the law, and while you would like to punish for it, you simply can not. This cop will probably face some sort of discipline before this case is over. Being prosecuted for false arrest is expensive for a cities insurance company.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
In my years as a law enforcement officer, I've never found any law against talking as long as you are not causing some kind of alarm to the bystanders around you. In other words, they cop has no right to tell this kid to shut up. This is a case of a cop trying to stop something that he thinks is against the law, when in fact it is not. No body likes a loud mouth kid, but it isn't against the law, and while you would like to punish for it, you simply can not. This cop will probably face some sort of discipline before this case is over. Being prosecuted for false arrest is expensive for a cities insurance company.
I'm guessing "2" since you said "years". If you've never told a kid to shut up and you think that under no circumstances does a cop have that right then you had to be pretty lousy at it.

Your "this is a case" statement shows that deep down inside you have contempt for the criminal justice system.

No real cop would convict someone based on a one-sided internet story. Real cops have read the 14th amendment. Real cops know that sometimes to do their job it is necessary to ask questions and if the person you need to ask questions of won't stop talking then they are obstructing justice. Real cops know that they if they had a room of 5 people that wouldn't shut up and there was a property or other crime that needed to be investigated they wouldn't just shrug their shoulders and say "oh well it's their right" and just walk away and write it up as "citizen kept talking so unable to investigate crime. Citizen was in full right to keep talking while I questioned him so I had to let him go instead of serving justice.

Real cops know that taking a fighting stance against an officer is also an obstruction of justice. Real cops that knew how to pay attention to current events and didn't just ignore the parts they want to believe would know that was part of the reason the kid was charged.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Move here to California - we don't call Governor Brown "Moonbeam" for nothing.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
#1)

#3) Obviously he was not smart enough to shut up when ordered to by the officer. That is clearly obstruction of justice.

Someone taught this miscreant that rules were made for other people. I would imagine the judge will straighten him out on this point.
Clearly? Really?

Please peruse the following applicable section of the West Virginia code and state which part of it clearly was violated by the boy?

WV Code 17

The prosecutor will have to prove the elements of the charge beyond a reasonable doubt, and after reading Section 17, Harrier believes that a jury will clearly find the boy not guilty.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:24 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Hahaaa...well, you know what's funny, is that most of you who are bitching about this kids standing up for his right, are probaly the same ones who say, sure....it just fine for a 15 year old girl to buy the "day after" pill.....

Pretty damn pathetic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies