Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I've thought about this controversial issue for quite sometime.

I'm a black American woman that simply can not understand why so many poor urban women continue to have children, without any male support. Obviously, the overall rapid decay of vast urban communities, seem to prove that single parent homes are ineffective. Sadly, the children almost always end up either dead or in jail.

Given the grim circumstances, why do urban women continue to have out of wedlock children, without any male assistance or help from their male partners?
Welfare handouts make it easy and profitable. The birth costs them nothing, then they're given free housing, free food, free health care, even free cash. For many it beats having to work for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Y'all want to close all of the planned parenthoods, right?
They've lost lots of funding because of your type. R's are closing clinics every chance that they get.
Don't you whine and moan about supporting the poor?
Pay a little up front or for 18 years.
Try a little fiscal responsibility...

One day of the cost of war would pay for birth control for all people wanting it for years.
Planned Parenthood is nothing but an abortion clinic.

I don't think the goal is to have these women never have babies but instead marry the fathers and have two parents for their children. It's fine for them to want babies.

Then there would be no poor to support, everyone would be supporting their own kids.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
There's a reason the left encourages single parent households: they get to control the kids in those homes.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:56 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Obviously, the overall rapid decay of vast urban communities, seem to prove that single parent homes are ineffective.
I'm not saying it couldn't be a factor, but do you have anything concrete to show what percentage of urban decay is due to single-parent households?

Quote:
Sadly, the children almost always end up either dead or in jail.
"Almost always?" Do you have some actual stats to support this?

Quote:
Given the grim circumstances, why do urban women continue to have out of wedlock children, without any male assistance or help from their male partners?
Sometimes they may feel secure that their male partners will be responsible and help them emotionally and financially rear the child, but then the male splits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Believe me, there have been several topics on SNAP benefits, and many of the RWNJs all claim to have seen people buy luxurious food with SNAP benefits, as if SNAP is some kind of bottomless pit
I have worked social services for over a quarter century. That has included recent work determining eligibility for SNAP and other programs (LIHEAP, TANF, day care assistance, etc.)

In my state, the average SNAP benefit comes out to $1.42 per meal.

I am sure there are people who get their SNAP benefits and go out and spend it all in one big grocery shopping spree buying things they can't afford and not budgeting or planning meals well. When that happens, they will just run out of SNAP benefits (and likely food) before the month is out.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:59 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Welfare handouts make it easy and profitable. The birth costs them nothing, then they're given free housing, free food, free health care, even free cash. For many it beats having to work for a living.
Our present day welfare system has promoted this lifestyle.
Its called playing house.
And what female with low maturation skills wouldn't love that.
We've created a game for these folks where it doesn't matter
to them where the money comes from.
We've created a treasury of monopoly money.

The don't pass go, go to jail for the guys, well it just guarantees the cycle continues.
Or should I say excuse for.....

Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Not really. Welfare reform put an end to the increases. Most impoverished women can not simply collect welfare, without agreeing to partake in the welfare to work/menial job program.
You haven't heard of SSDI?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
You DO realize that a huge percentage of people recieiving SNAP and other benefits actually work, right?

Quote:
Planned Parenthood is nothing but an abortion clinic.
What complete uninformed nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
There's a reason the left encourages single parent households: they get to control the kids in those homes.
How does "the left" encourage this? Benefit distribution has grown, but not in an unexpected way. Hell, Clinton eviscerated welfare, making it far more difficult to obtain benefits, strengthening the efforts recipients have to go through to get them, making them disburse on a more temporary basis, increasing the number af times a person must re-apply or verify their eligibility, etc.

It's too overused, and there ARE people who abuse the system, but it's not a left or right issue at base.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I'm not saying it couldn't be a factor, but do you have anything concrete to show what percentage of urban decay is due to single-parent households?

"Almost always?" Do you have some actual stats to support this?

Sometimes they may feel secure that their male partners will be responsible and help them emotionally and financially rear the child, but then the male splits.

I have worked social services for over a quarter century. That has included recent work determining eligibility for SNAP and other programs (LIHEAP, TANF, day care assistance, etc.)

In my state, the average SNAP benefit comes out to $1.42 per meal.

I am sure there are people who get their SNAP benefits and go out and spend it all in one big grocery shopping spree buying things they can't afford and not budgeting or planning meals well. When that happens, they will just run out of SNAP benefits (and likely food) before the month is out.
Maybe you should read the mountains of data out there.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Y'all want to close all of the planned parenthoods, right?
They've lost lots of funding because of your type. R's are closing clinics every chance that they get.
Don't you whine and moan about supporting the poor?
Pay a little up front or for 18 years.
Try a little fiscal responsibility...

One day of the cost of war would pay for birth control for all people wanting it for years.
I have always thought the reason republicans and conservatives wanted to invade a woman's privacy and deny birth control and abortions was so they could over populate America, which would fit into their plans at a later time to have more boots to put on the ground for the wars they wanted to start and not finish.

The republican machine needs boots for wars, and any body will do because America will never run out of body bags.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,079,792 times
70% of the youth in the city of Detroit belong to single mother homes...seems to not help with the city's problems.

A single mom, especially if she is working doesn't have time to properly guide her kids, which leaves them too often to nefarious influences.

Single mothers should not be attacked, but single motherhood should be discouraged.

But, if a conservative points this out, we are hate filled and liberals attack and glorify single motherhood: 20 years later, it turns out Dan Quayle was right about Murphy Brown and unmarried moms - Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies