Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Isn't that chicken pot pie essentially chicken w/ dumplings?

Pierogi and Kielbasa are awesome!

In NJ, (Linden specifically) they still have a few polish specialty stores where you can get the genuine article.
I'm in coastal NC and the seafood is wonderful, barbecue a staple, and we have a specialty store selling Polish meats from Chicago & NY , a deli selling the aforementioned 'beef on weck', and a pretty darn good pizzeria manned by ex-Brooklynites.

On trips back to NJ it's Polish in Wallington, Cuban in Union City, and ya just can't beat Rutt's Hut (Clifton) for classic road house hot dogs and onion rings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You know, I like cheesesteaks, but I'm at a loss to understand why the authentic philly cheese steak has that Cheez Whiz on it.
because when the philly cheesesteak was first created, they only had cheesewhiz to put on the sandwich. however cheezewhiz is different today than when it was first used.

Quote:
well.. let's see. I'm from SC, our specialities are:

A) Shrimp and Grits / Breakfast shrimp (my personal speciality.)
B) Frogmore stew (a type of shrimp boil.)
C) Wood-smoked whole-hog BBQ (with vinegar sauce)
D) fire-roasted Oysters
E) Peach moonshine liquor
F) Muscadine wine
G) She-Crab Soup (a creamy bisque made with blue crab and sherry)

Other mentionables are:

H) Chicken pontalba (fried boneless chicken, mushrooms, sausage, etc., atop hominy grits.)
I) Chicken bog (a stew with whole chicken and rice)
J) Red Chicken Stew (a stew with whole chicken, tomatoes, okra, and hardboiled eggs)
K) Shrimp burgers (a Beaufort speciality)
L) Catfish stew (Catfish, bacon, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cooked over a propane burner.)
M) Hash and rice (Stew cooked with pig offal -- not the same as "Hash" in other areas.)
N) Hush puppies
O) Fried flounder
P) grilled Wahoo
all good stuff, and similar items can be found in louisana and other parts of the south, and are just as good.

Quote:
If you haven't tried the southeastern foods I mentioned, then you're missing out. I can only assume that fried twinkies are something hillbillies would eat, because I've never heard of that.
actually the fried twinkie is popular around the country, most noteably in the northeast. i have never had one, far too much sugar for a diabetic unless you have a pint of insulin at the ready(lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When I travel I always try to go local for food.
The local food is perfection over time.

TX..BBQ
you will get an argument from people in north caroline, memphis, and kansas city in that regard.

but all this just proves my point that the food you tend to like best, is the food you grew up on.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM

[quote=rbohm;30056981]
Quote:
You know, I like cheesesteaks, but I'm at a loss to understand why the authentic philly cheese steak has that Cheez Whiz on it.
Because they wouldn't be authentic if they didn't.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm in coastal NC and the seafood is wonderful, barbecue a staple, and we have a specialty store selling Polish meats from Chicago & NY , a deli selling the aforementioned 'beef on weck', and a pretty darn good pizzeria manned by ex-Brooklynites.

On trips back to NJ it's Polish in Wallington, Cuban in Union City, and ya just can't beat Rutt's Hut (Clifton) for classic road house hot dogs and onion rings.
i'm guessing we live in the same town.

are you talking about, A) Tatyana's , B) South College Deli , and C) Brooklyn Pizza?

Quote:
Because they wouldn't be authentic if they didn't.
ha.. yeah.. i have a difficult time using "authentic" and "cheez whiz" in the same sentence.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,096,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I think its widley recognized that Louisiana has some of the best regional food.

However...from the thread header...

Yeah, Ive had both of these...at the Anchor (home of the wings) and Ulrichs or wherver that old place was called, the oldest tavern in Buffalo...Beef on Weck has a cousin in Chicago, called the Italian Beef sandwhich. Not well known outside of the Chicagoland (vs the Chicago hot dogs, which are better known to the outside world).

Another New York State local food is from Syracuse. Syracuse Salt Potatos. Never heard of ths until I overnighted in Syracuse. Damn good, got a recipe online, and now these are a staple of my personal home cooking. Highly recommended as a good cooking treatment for something pretty humble (a potato).
I currently live about 6 hours south of Chicago and id forgotten about thos Italian beef sandwiches..there was an old man who moved down here from Chicago years ago and opened a dive that served nothing but Italian beef and Italian sausage s on a type of roll that would make a puppy pull a freight train...you could get either or a combo of both...he didn't even sell soda or anything else for the longest time,but these hillbillies would almost fistfight over one..he went on to his reward about 15 years ago and I miss him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When I travel I always try to go local for food.
The local food is perfection over time.

From the places I've been that I remember:
NYC..bagels, pizza and a trip to Long Island to a seafood restaurant
Maine...lobster
New Orleans..creole, gumbo, po'boy, crawfish, jambalaya,beignets
TX..BBQ, beef, chicken fried steak slathered in white gravy, biscuits, tex-mex
FL..cuban food, seafood, citrus
Georgia...corn bread, fried chicken, sweet potatoe anything, chess pie
Ohhhh those po'boys...my belly just growled thinking about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama1787 View Post
I'm most familiar with the Southeastern U.S, but live in So Cal now.

What I miss more than anything is the local restaurants along the Gulf Coast from New Orleans through the Florida Panhandle. Raw oysters (appalachicola mainly), gulf shrimp, and a wide range of fish.

A close 2nd would be the countless family owned "meat & 3" restaurants across the South.

The IE portion of southern CA has been a huge dissapointment. Chains, Chains, Chains
yes...those Gulf joints are the cat's ass...I can damn near eat my weight in seafood () and LOVE those places...I have to go there inNov. This year and that's all that's on my mind...not the business I have to attend to,but the food

Last edited by Swampmonster; 06-17-2013 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: posting from a pos android

Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
i'm guessing we live in the same town.

are you talking about, A) Tatyana's , B) South College Deli , and C) Brooklyn Pizza?

Shrimp fresh off the boat and 'real deal' kielbasa from NY & Chicago?

Life is good.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,919,450 times
Quote:

I'm in the triad, and the offerings are pretty dreadful out here with a handful of exceptions. I do enjoy Lexington style BBQ on occasion but I still long for St.Louis style when I have that itch..

I haven't found any polish delicatessens..I did find "acceptable" pizza locally from one place but for something close to the real deal NYC style, I have to go to Charlotte.

The rippers from Rutts Hut are

Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,956,570 times
Quote:
Actually, the authentic cheesesteak would be provolone cheese and fried onions but whiz and American are definitely popular options.

IMO, the best sandwhich in Philly is not the cheesesteak but the roast pork with broccoli rabe and provolone.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,357,186 times
New England seafood. End of story. For what other local food would people pay ridiculous prices for it to be shipped to them?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,919,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Actually, the authentic cheesesteak would be provolone cheese and fried onions but whiz and American are definitely popular options.

IMO, the best sandwhich in Philly is not the cheesesteak but the roast pork with broccoli rabe and provolone.
My last trip back to NJ I stopped @ DiNic's for one

Awesome stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies