Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
If what you mean is living in a state that does not recognize gay marriage but traveling to and marrying in a state that does, unfortunately will not mean you would get all the Federal benefits. Fed benefits that are based on place of celebration are Veterans and Immigration. Tax benefits are tied to the state of residence. However the President could issue an executive order to change that.
If DOMA is struck down, Federal benefits will be granted to all states. State benefits, however, will not unless that state has legal same-sex marriage.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
"winning this" - I never completed with anyone in my life- I just don't believe that competition brings about the best in us. There is nothing to oppose when it comes to gay marriage..you know and I know that it is not a marriage but a legal civil union...Let them have their fantasy...and pretend they are just like their mother and father- people love tradition..gays are no different. YOU don't have to believe in gay marriage...no one is forcing you- I don't believe in it..but people are entitled to dream...We all dream

Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
If DOMA is struck down, Federal benefits will be granted to all states. State benefits, however, will not unless that state has legal same-sex marriage.
To me this is the big question, assuming SCOTUS kills DOMA but punts on Prop 8.

So here you have a very undesirable situation. What if a couple crosses the border for 20 minutes to marry, but continues living in their home state where same-sex marriage isn't allowed? You say that couple will get federal benefits, but the state won't recognize anything. You could conceivably have a scenario in which two gay neighbors (one couple married in another state, the other did not) who are being treated differently under the law only because one of them hasn't yet crossed the border and signed a piece of paper. What if a couple living (and married) in an equality state MOVES to a state with no equality?

How does this not completely violate equal protection? I don't see how SCOTUS or any other governing body can continue to sanction the states making their own laws about marriage. The patchwork of marriage across the country would become even more glaring.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post

So here you have a very undesirable situation. What if a couple crosses the border for 20 minutes to marry, but continues living in their home state where same-sex marriage isn't allowed? You say that couple will get federal benefits, but the state won't recognize anything. You could conceivably have a scenario in which two gay neighbors (one couple married in another state, the other did not) who are being treated differently under the law only because one of them hasn't yet crossed the border and signed a piece of paper. What if a couple living (and married) in an equality state MOVES to a state with no equality?

How does this not completely violate equal protection? I don't see how SCOTUS or any other governing body can continue to sanction the states making their own laws about marriage. The patchwork of marriage across the country would become even more glaring.
There will be many cases taken to court regarding this. I will be getting married in DC, but my home state doesn't recognize SSM. I can not move due to my partners job (we transferred here 2 years ago). When she retires, we will be moving to a friendlier area.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
"winning this" - I never completed with anyone in my life- I just don't believe that competition brings about the best in us. There is nothing to oppose when it comes to gay marriage..you know and I know that it is not a marriage but a legal civil union...Let them have their fantasy...and pretend they are just like their mother and father- people love tradition..gays are no different. YOU don't have to believe in gay marriage...no one is forcing you- I don't believe in it..but people are entitled to dream...We all dream

You're the dreamer, because you've got your eyes closed and fingers in your ears going, "lalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you or see you! lalalalalalala!"

Meanwhile, your country just passed a milestone on the issue:

10th anniversary of same-sex marriage highlights progress, equality - The Globe and Mail

Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There will be many cases taken to court regarding this. I will be getting married in DC, but my home state doesn't recognize SSM. I can not move due to my partners job (we transferred here 2 years ago). When she retires, we will be moving to a friendlier area.
OK, so in your case, we have a situation you might describe as "federal marriage." Right now, it's counties that issue marriage licenses (a city in your case). Perhaps that practice needs to end.

A couple gets married out-of-state. Their home state government says, "That marriage license is not valid here." The federal government, however, says, "It's valid as far as we're concerned!"

So how does this allow states to continue dictating who can marry? Do you see what I'm driving at? I believe the federal government needs to revoke the states' authority on marriage and begin issuing their own federal marriage licenses.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
OK, so in your case, we have a situation you might describe as "federal marriage." Right now, it's counties that issue marriage licenses (a city in your case). Perhaps that practice needs to end.

A couple gets married out-of-state. Their home state government says, "That marriage license is not valid here." The federal government, however, says, "It's valid as far as we're concerned!"

So how does this allow states to continue dictating who can marry? Do you see what I'm driving at? I believe the federal government needs to revoke the states' authority on marriage and begin issuing their own federal marriage licenses.
I agree. the laws should be uniform across the country. People move a lot more today than they did in the past. Then there are military families, what do they do when transferred to a new base? They have no say at all in the move.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 PM

[]

Last edited by Globe199; 06-19-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 12:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
marriage isn't a right my little sugar pie, it's a tax. stop being pathetic. gays want to marry for financial reasons, because they are super greedy. they want that money and the benefits that comes with their state contract. you do know that this is city-data.com, and not city-data.ca right?
Actually gay marriage is about their relationships being declared by the government as being fully equal to heterosexual relationships. If it was just about the tax breaks, gays would be satisfied with civil unions but if you mention you support civil unions and not marriage you are considered almost as bad as Fred Phelps.

As for the OP's question, there is no way conservatives can win this without something apocalyptic happening causing society to return to more traditional values.

Republicans need to give up on this issue. It's THE make or break issue for many young voters so as long as they continue to campaign against this, I don't see the GOP ever winning another national election.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:

That is what happened to the couple, Loving, they were a black woman and a white man who married outside of their state of Virginia and were arrested in Virginia for cohabiting interracially which was against the law in Virginia and so was interracial marriage, only marriage to ones own race was legal.

This arbitrary discrimination against gay people needs to stop, we have no more choice in who we fall in love with or are attracted to than any of you straight people, we cannot choose to be attracted to the same sex. Can any truly straight person make that physical and mental choice to find the same sex sexually attractive and do it? I can tell if a woman is beautiful or physically attractive, but that does not mean that I am physically attracted to women.

I was born in 1960 and after Loving verses Virginia when I was going on 8, interracial marriage became legal nationwide. I still remember hearing older people saying things when they saw a black man with a white woman, like "aren't there enough black women for them, leave our white women alone" "why can't they be happy with someone of their own race" and a lot harsher words, much of it coming from my horrible step dad. He hated anyone that was not white and god fearing. Would be polite, smile at them and say thank you, but count his change when he left, saying, "can't trust those [ put any race, creed, color here], have to count my change, can't trust a $%^&*( ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies