Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times

Advertisements

When you have a economy that is in the dumps and inflation at 6.5% eventually some is going to cause protest driven by the basics once a target is seen that sends it over the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,465,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think we are beginning to see the reasons for the outrage with more clarity now. I'd be protesting too.
LOL.

The Brazilian state governments could at least hire more janitorial and maintenance crews to clean those health care facilities like the ones in the first video of post #59.

This looks like a better hospital in Rio though: Hospital Copa D'Or | Copacabana

This one too from what I googled: Hospital Samaritano - Homepage

Samarintano in Sao Paulo.

Hospital Samaritano de São Paulo - Vídeo Institucional 2013 - YouTube

Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,465,005 times
Images of the protest: Brazilian Military Police Officer Pepper-Sprays Woman During Rio De Janeiro Protests (PHOTO)

Aren't these the Occupy Wall Street and London masks, taken from that popular movie, or no?

Like this one: http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slides...?1371543486260

How does this bring resolution to Brazil's infrastructural problems, and does this reduce costs incurred by tax payers? http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slides...?1371575286668

That might be one of a several minor cases out of what was a peaceful protest carried out by the majority. But I don't know how looting and destruction of property helps, or even helps your fellow protestors?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,189,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, now that they are givers instead of takers they care.
Isn't it funny how things work out ?
Takers? I take it you haven't EVER been to Brazil. I spent a big chunk of time there around 1990-92, and there was almost no middle class then--you were either wealthy, or you were living in a corrugated tin shack and carrying your drinking water in. The government didn't give those people squat--they weren't "taking" anything. The Samba schools--local community groups in the favelas or slums--used the money they raised from the big carnival parades to operate local schools for the children and medical clinics. The government provided zero to those people--if they couldn't raise the money for it in the slums it didn't happen, and people lived in abject poverty there. When I was there, you'd see homeless orphans--little 5 and 6 year olds--sleeping in groups under horse carts at night on the streets in Rio, and the police were murdering them and dumping the bodies because the kids were surviving by pick-pocketing tourists in the shopping areas. It was a mess, and it's about time that things change.

The big change isn't that they care more now because they're paying taxes--the people in the favelas have ALWAYS cared and fought to try to help themselves--it's that they have some political power now. An increase in jobs in areas like manufacturing and agriculture has given more people an opportunity to have an education and livable income, and they're in a position to finally fight back. Before they were just trying to survive from day to day, and had no say.

Last edited by mb1547; 06-18-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 03:46 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Takers? I take it you haven't EVER been to Brazil. I spent a big chunk of time there around 1990-92, and there was almost no middle class then--you were either wealthy, or you were living in a corrugated tin shack and carrying your drinking water in. The government didn't give those people squat--they weren't "taking" anything. The Samba schools--local community groups in the favelas or slums--used the money they raised from the big carnival parades to operate local schools for the children and medical clinics. The government provided zero to those people--if they couldn't raise the money for it in the slums it didn't happen, and people lived in abject poverty there. When I was there, you'd see homeless orphans--little 5 and 6 year olds--sleeping in groups under horse carts at night on the streets in Rio, and the police were murdering them and dumping the bodies because the kids were surviving by pick-pocketing tourists in the shopping areas. It was a mess, and it's about time that things change.

The big change isn't that they care more now because they're paying taxes--the people in the favelas have ALWAYS cared and fought to try to help themselves--it's that they have some political power now. An increase in jobs in areas like manufacturing and agriculture has given more people an opportunity to have an education and livable income, and they're in a position to finally fight back. Before they were just trying to survive from day to day, and had no say.
Don't let facts get in their way mb. They will forever & always blame all on the poor. That's just how they are. Pity them.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,189,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Don't let facts get in their way mb. They will forever & always blame all on the poor. That's just how they are. Pity them.
I just shake my head, and it's a great example of how little many Americans know about the rest of the world. Sorry I can't rep you.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,100,383 times
Americans should take note.

Everybody's complaining but nobody's doing anything about it.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,620,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, now that they are givers instead of takers they care.
Isn't it funny how things work out ?
Boy, did you hit the nail on the head with that one!

Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,620,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

You are implying that, when they were poor, that fact prevented them from marching in the streets?

Nonsensical.

Their new-found political power will be exercised in a quiet voting booth. There is a difference now, attributable to societal contributions and nothing else.

Last edited by irishvanguard; 06-18-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies