Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,641,614 times

Advertisements

With several countries now having nuclear weapons, and more countries aspiring to have them along with terrorist groups, nuclear tensions are seemingly returning to coldwar levels. The only problem now is that more countries have them, and combined tensions seem to be greater now than ever before.

I truly beleive it is inevitable that someone will attack another with a nuclear weapon, the only question is, how long will it be till it happens?

I'm thinking we are less than 10 years from seeing a nuclear attack. Anybody else think the time is near?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,449,408 times
I agree and think it will happen within 10 years. I am hoping I will be WRONG!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 AM

238 posts, read 1,145,244 times
I expect a huge terror attack and world wide chaos within the next five years that will cause a huge economic crisis. Our comfortable life will end suddenly. It was good while it lasted.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:48 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,929,491 times
Countries having and using them is not really the issue. I don't see any country, Korea or Iran even, of being crazy enough to use one, it would mean their own destruction.

The danger is terrorist groups having one (and thus, in turn, that is the danger of Iran possesing a nuclear capability as they use and supply terrorists groups as a matter of foreign policy).

The delivery system is the factor here. Fortunetly terrorists don't have handy missile silo's or ballistic cababilities, so it would be in the form of a "suitcase bomb" or dirty bomb, or like a bomb in a shipping container at the most extreme. I see it happening in the next 10 years cetainly, not something that will "wipe out New York City" but could kill a few thousand in a metropolitian area and certainly cause widespread panic.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,397,436 times
Maybe a dirty bomb will be used, but that causes more panic than damage. I don't see nuclear weapons being used by anyone other than the US (and those would be small scale nuclear weapons). Iran is more than ten years away from the technology, and even if they develop it, they have little to no means of delivering it. I also believe Iran will likely become far more progressive and friendly so long as we don't attack it. Massive floods and ensuing economic crisis caused by global warming are a far bigger threat (at least according to pentagon officials). People are always anticipating a terrible crisis right around the corner.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times
There are nuclear weapons being used at this very moment in Iraq. While not in the traditional sense, the use of depleted Uranium will have lasting effects for generations to come. So far the United States is the only nation to have used nuclear weapons against another population and the way Dick and George are talking, they would like to use them again and soon.

Because its victims look like this

Instead of this

http://students.umf.maine.edu/~donoghtp/hiroshima1.gif (broken link)

Only the victims seem to care anymore.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 AM

13,666 posts, read 20,807,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Countries having and using them is not really the issue. I don't see any country, Korea or Iran even, of being crazy enough to use one, it would mean their own destruction.

The danger is terrorist groups having one (and thus, in turn, that is the danger of Iran possesing a nuclear capability as they use and supply terrorists groups as a matter of foreign policy).

The delivery system is the factor here. Fortunetly terrorists don't have handy missile silo's or ballistic cababilities, so it would be in the form of a "suitcase bomb" or dirty bomb, or like a bomb in a shipping container at the most extreme. I see it happening in the next 10 years cetainly, not something that will "wipe out New York City" but could kill a few thousand in a metropolitian area and certainly cause widespread panic.
Agreed. I would say 10-15 years.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:20 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,929,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
There are nuclear weapons being used at this very moment in Iraq. While not in the traditional sense, the use of depleted Uranium will have lasting effects for generations to come. So far the United States is the only nation to have used nuclear weapons against another population and the way Dick and George are talking, they would like to use them again and soon.
Oh come on, that's like saying Proctor & Gamble is using chemical warfare on the U.S. because it's factories produce noxious fumes.

Please provide a link that shows "dick and george" and the evil U.S. would like to use nuclear weapons again and again.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
Very possibly before Novenber 2008. Just the excuse needed to postpone the election indefinitely.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Oh come on, that's like saying Proctor & Gamble is using chemical warfare on the U.S. because it's factories produce noxious fumes.

Please provide a link that shows "dick and george" and the evil U.S. would like to use nuclear weapons again and again.
It is no secret that Cheney order the Pentagon to draw up plans to attack Iran and one of the options were the use of bunker busting tactical nukes. This is old news from earlier in the summer, back when they were repealing the Posse Comitatus in case the locals in America objected.

Last month, in a paper given at a conference on Middle East security in Berlin, Colonel Sam Gardiner, a military analyst who taught at the National War College before retiring from the Air Force, in 1987, provided an estimate of what would be needed to destroy Iran's nuclear program. Working from satellite photographs of the known facilities, Gardiner estimated that at least four hundred targets would have to be hit. He added

I don't think a US military planner would want to stop there. Iran probably has two chemical-production plants. We would hit those. We would want to hit the medium-range ballistic missiles that have just recently been moved closer to Iraq. There are fourteen airfields with sheltered aircraft. . . . We'd want to get rid of that threat. We would want to hit the assets that could be used to threaten Gulf shipping. That means targeting the cruise-missile sites and the Iranian diesel submarines. . . . Some of the facilities may be too difficult to target even with penetrating weapons. The US will have to use Special Operations units.

One of the military's initial option plans, as presented to the White House by the Pentagon this winter, calls for the use of a bunker-buster tactical nuclear weapon, such as the B61-11, against underground nuclear sites.

Seymour M. Hersh | The Iran Plans (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies