Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:51 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Yeah whatever, like that has anything to do with my statement.

The Russian military is a joke, their air force included. I have no clue what that has to do with 1941.
It has everything to do with it. Russia was not prepared in 1941 either but when you attack a sleepy bear he wakes up FAST.

The stupidity, ineffectiveness and futility of American foreign policy never ceases to amaze me but even the stupidist idiot of an American war hawk would NEVER want to start a war with Russia.

You Americans always talk like you are invincible but the truth of the matter is that you got your azzes handed to you in Vietman, Only a deaf, dumb and blind man could think Iraq was and is any kind of victory. There is a dinky little nation 50 miles off your shore who has been thumbing it's nose at you for 60 years and you can't do a freakin thing about it. You are slinking away from Afghanistan with your tails between your legs and you think a war with Russia would be a piece of cake. : smack:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Intellektuelle View Post
Are you agreeing that the National Guard of Rhode Island can take on the Russians all by itself? That's what he's saying and while I'm not sure if their National Guard even features fighter jets, Russia has the numbers, the tanks, the anti-aircraft weapons, and whatever else could defeat a Airforce. Take note that the Soviets actually had air superiority for a while, and still lost to the Afghans because of anti-aircraft missiles. Add in the fact that Russia is militarizing quick as it can and actually wants to go back into Afghanistan, it obviously intends on becoming a super power yet again.

Russia is already creating a new aircraft that certain critics are saying will be superior to the F-35, therefore I'll give Russia about 10 years until its completely armed, and ready to take on any military on the globe. Of course the US and UK will have made advancements by them as well, but Russia actually has China backing it right now meaning they have plenty of cash to fight. In fact, if Russia alone wanted throw the US off track it could, maybe everyone is undermining that is also one of our largest FOREX creditors and one of the largest holders of debt in the world.

Putin doesn't want us to fight, but he is willing to flex Russia's muscles to show the West that it still is a threat. People such as Hillary Clinton have laughed at Russia for years now, but that soon is going to change as we are gradually going to need them more and more rather it's through buying our bonds, trading intelligence, or building our economies. So do yourself a favor, and don't undermine the Russians because in the near future they will be back competiting with us directly.
I think the Rhode Island comment was obvious hyperbole. That said, his point that American air power is much greater than Russian air power is definitely correct. Yes, the Afghans beat Soviet air power, but remember that they were using American made Stinger missiles, and the helicopters being targeted had high heat signatures and essentially no countermeasures, making them easy targets. On the flip side, modern American attack helicopters (AH-64D Longbow and the AH-1W and AH-1Z Cobras) give off very little heat signature and have excellent countermeasures. Even if they can make a superior fighter to the F-35 (doubtful, but not impossible) they still have to overcome the issue of inferior and under trained pilots.

While you're correct that the Russian military has the numbers, they still don't have the capability to take on the United States. I'd also prefer to have good relations with Russia and realize that would be much easier if Putin was not in power.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Only a deaf, dumb and blind man could think Iraq was and is any kind of victory.
Admittedly, we should not have got involved there but you have to understand that the failing of the critically inept Bush administration on a strategic and tactical level. The actual initial combat phase saw us roll right over the Iraqi military in short order, in both 1991 and 2002.

Quote:
There is a dinky little nation 50 miles off your shore who has been thumbing it's nose at you for 60 years and you can't do a freakin thing about it
What is Cuba going to do? They're a minor annoyance and nothing more.

Quote:
You are slinking away from Afghanistan with your tails between your legs
Not true at all. We rolled in there and kicked ass until Bush decided to get into Iraq and diverted resources and attention, but then Obama took office, got us back on track and killed Bin Laden.

We won. We accomplished our mission. Now, we're making a gradual withdrawal while returning responsibility to Afghan nationals.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 PM

131 posts, read 209,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I think the Rhode Island comment was obvious hyperbole. That said, his point that American air power is much greater than Russian air power is definitely correct. Yes, the Afghans beat Soviet air power, but remember that they were using American made Stinger missiles, and the helicopters being targeted had high heat signatures and essentially no countermeasures, making them easy targets. On the flip side, modern American attack helicopters (AH-64D Longbow and the AH-1W and AH-1Z Cobras) give off very little heat signature and have excellent countermeasures. Even if they can make a superior fighter to the F-35 (doubtful, but not impossible) they still have to overcome the issue of inferior and under trained pilots.

While you're correct that the Russian military has the numbers, they still don't have the capability to take on the United States. I'd also prefer to have good relations with Russia and realize that would be much easier if Putin was not in power.
I agree whole heartily agree that the American military has the capabilities to fend off any military that doesn't use guerrilla tactics, but it wouldn't be an easy war that's all I'm stating. We've greatly undermined Russia for years, and have only threw dirt on our relationship solely off the belief that once the USSR deteriorated, the Russians could never come back. Now today Russia is back, yes a great deal of its equipment has been deteriorated and barely operational but nonethless it's being replaced quickly. They've made a jet that other nations may trust over the F-35 which is the Su-35 which has been proven more reliable; but that's not the one that critics are saying may surpass ours on, the one they're talking about is the T-50 which I would suggest you do research on.

America has the best military on the world, with the best equipment but I really have a fear that Russia may come back and I really suggest for us to change our foreign policy by the time they do fully reach their militaries maximized potential.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Intellektuelle View Post
I agree whole heartily agree that the American military has the capabilities to fend off any military that doesn't use guerrilla tactics, but it wouldn't be an easy war that's all I'm stating. We've greatly undermined Russia for years, and have only threw dirt on our relationship solely off the belief that once the USSR deteriorated, the Russians could never come back. Now today Russia is back, yes a great deal of its equipment has been deteriorated and barely operational but nonethless it's being replaced quickly. They've made a jet that other nations may trust over the F-35 which is the Su-35 which has been proven more reliable; but that's not the one that critics are saying may surpass ours on, the one they're talking about is the T-50 which I would suggest you do research on.

America has the best military on the world, with the best equipment but I really have a fear that Russia may come back and I really suggest for us to change our foreign policy by the time they do fully reach their militaries maximized potential.
I'm aware of the T-50. Nice aircraft, and might be comparable to the F-35 but still lagging far, far behind the F-22. I don't think a hypothetical war with Russia would be a cake walk, but the air war would be pretty close.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
The stupidity, ineffectiveness and futility of American foreign policy never ceases to amaze me but even the stupidist idiot of an American war hawk would NEVER want to start a war with Russia.
Yeah, but do you really think Obama could be restrained with Putin? It's thin-skinned egomaniac vs condescending macho-macho man.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Admittedly, we should not have got involved there but you have to understand that the failing of the critically inept Bush administration on a strategic and tactical level. The actual initial combat phase saw us roll right over the Iraqi military in short order, in both 1991 and 2002.

Not true at all. We rolled in there and kicked ass until Bush decided to get into Iraq and diverted resources and attention, but then Obama took office, got us back on track and killed Bin Laden.

We won. We accomplished our mission. Now, we're making a gradual withdrawal while returning responsibility to Afghan nationals.
Have you got anything but lame excuses for the almost total failure of American foreign policy?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It has everything to do with it. Russia was not prepared in 1941 either but when you attack a sleepy bear he wakes up FAST.

You Americans always talk like you are invincible but the truth of the matter is that you got your azzes handed to you in Vietman, Only a deaf, dumb and blind man could think Iraq was and is any kind of victory. There is a dinky little nation 50 miles off your shore who has been thumbing it's nose at you for 60 years and you can't do a freakin thing about it. You are slinking away from Afghanistan with your tails between your legs and you think a war with Russia would be a piece of cake. : smack:
It's been a tradition here since the 90s that every conflict we get into is going to be a "cakewalk" that we'll get in and out pretty quick. Fast forward years later....

Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:

You did not accomplish your mission in the least. I remember the mission statement was, To bring FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY" to these countries. You may have won a battle or two but that does not qualify as winning a war. You have managed to create far more deadly enemies than you had before these so called wars. You have frittered away trillions of dollars, sacrificed another generation of warriors in vain and are left in a worse position than when you began on these epic failures. Now, since you have totally screwed up the middle east you now talk about taking on the Russians!!!!!!!!

Anyone who would suggest such insanity is beyond crazy. So, if you start to defeat them and you wake up one morning and NY city, DC, Miami, Huston, LA and other cities have been vaporized, there are hundred million dead Americans, will it matter much who won?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It isn't for us to control Syria's air space.
How would we like another country imposing a no fly zone here?
Once again we are supporting the wrong side.

We supported the wrong side in the 1980's when we sided against Russia regarding Afghanistan.

We supported the wrong side in 1992 in Kuwait by siding against Saddam.

Afghanistan and Iraq once again after 911.

Tunisia, Libya and Egypt all on the wrong side.

And now Syria Special Report: Syria's Islamists seize control as moderates dither
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies