Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I have that very same decision to make. It's hard.
yes it is. i occasionally second-guess my own decision...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 02:19 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Most aren't making enough to pay their bills and wondering "Is this supposed to be life??"

I enjoy what I ventured out to do. But it still bothers me to see other good people struggle and be unhappy.

You "ventured", as in made a conscience effort to obtain a field of employment to which you find appealing and rewarding.

Those who work crap jobs they hate, do so because they settle for such.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't think this is anything new. Fred Flintstone and George Jetson complained about their jobs all the time.

Yes, these were cartoons but they were representative of the times.

huh? that is absurd. fred flintstone lived during the jurassic period. george jetson has yet to be born.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You "ventured", as in made a conscience effort to obtain a field of employment to which you find appealing and rewarding.

Those who work crap jobs they hate, do so because they settle for such.
I took a huge financial risk to start a business and become self employed. I worked my ass off, sacrificed, and completely left my comfort zone in order to make it happen. Even went hungry at a point.

To be quite honest, after what I had to do to make a living, it upsets me when some are arrogant about their job title when they didn't start the business or do anything out of the ordinary to earn the position. Starting a business is one of the hardest things I've done and if you start at the bottom, you work for free a lot in the beginning and have to make huge financial sacrifices.

With that said, I support fair wages and a good work environment. I do believe we have "corporate culture" issues in this country and serious wage issues.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,698 times
It's too bad, I think most any job can be enjoyable (it's less about the work, and more about the work environment - treated fairly, good pay, good coworkers, etc).

Unfortunately, it seems to be at the point where businesses for the most part are more interested in grinding a worker to the greatest extent possible - unless you have in demand skills, most workers are as easily replaced as a computer, and therefore businesses don't care.

Which is bad, I've read about how well Costco treats its employees, and the company is doing great - they believe that happy employees are more loyal and hard working - I tend to agree... And besides, it's just the right thing to do.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Same type complain of boredom on one job then stress on a job that isn't.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
It's too bad, I think most any job can be enjoyable (it's less about the work, and more about the work environment - treated fairly, good pay, good coworkers, etc).

Unfortunately, it seems to be at the point where businesses for the most part are more interested in grinding a worker to the greatest extent possible - unless you have in demand skills, most workers are as easily replaced as a computer, and therefore businesses don't care.

Which is bad, I've read about how well Costco treats its employees, and the company is doing great - they believe that happy employees are more loyal and hard working - I tend to agree... And besides, it's just the right thing to do.
You've read correctly. I've known some of the workers at Costco. They're not complaining.

That company has a great business model going.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
I think that being able to make decisions about work and being self regulated leads to more job satisfaction. Too many jobs today are subject to micro-management, and therefore...low satisfaction.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post

Great point.

What you described is the big shift I hope we're headed in. We've gotta do better business. It can't be ALL about the bottom line.

I pay my customers' share of the state sales tax. It comes out of MY pay. I do it because I wanted to provide quality affordable meals. I take pride in treating my customers great and looking after my help both financially and emotionally when I can. I treat them like family.

There's multiple things wrong with our business culture IMO.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,394 times
I love my job. I work in IT, I love computers. I work with computers all day, come home, and play on computers. Pay me to play with computers all day? Sure!

I also have a great employer, great benefits, , great pay, vacation, holidays, sick time, short and long term disability, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, AND.... I get all the coffee I can drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies