Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,853 times

Advertisements

$170,000 isn't even in the ball park of being considered rich. It's comfortable at most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:06 AM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
It is SO relative. To me it is not rich but it certainly is comfortable. I will never forget bringing home a new friend when I was in college. She wasn't at college but we met at a restaurant where we were both waiting tables. This was in the early 90s and while I have no idea how much my dad made, probably around 200K, my parents did have a very nice, large house, about 4500 square feet with a pool, on two acres etc. although they built the house in the early 80s and I know he didn't make that much when they built the house, so it wasn't that nice. Anyway, she walked into the house and her eyes were huge. She met my dad, was all big eyed was like OMG you are rich (she actually said that to my dad) and your house is beautiful. He chuckled and said thank you. But her parents, whole family probably, lived in trailers or rented old mill houses. She had probably never had a friend in even the middle class, she came from lower class, never graduated high school, etc.

So, politics aside, in most corners of the world making 170K/year really does make you rich. It makes you richer than like 90% of the world (ok don't quote me on that figure, I am jst pulling it out of a hat, might be less but might be more too but you get my point). No you aren't filthy rich, no you are not millionaire rich, no you wouldn't be able to afford 5 $2Million houses, or go to $5K/night hotels, but you are certainly rich to most people.

And it doesn't matter how much you can spend, anyone can be irresponsible with their money. Lottery winners do it quite frequently and I don't think anyone would argue that someone that wins 150Mill isn't rich, no matter how fast they blow through that money. That arguement just doesn't fly. Yes someone who is responsible and invests well will be richer that someone who isn't/doesn't. Even in NYC 170K will leave you reasonably more comfortable than most.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
OK. I'm the northeast and I not quite making that much money (20 min outside of NYC). But I know even if I did I really nothing up here even. Even if I made 3 times that amount I would not be rich. I would be comfortable but definitely not rich.
So let me ask you guys. In your area (and please give us a general idea where you are.) do you think making a $170,000 makes you rich? If so what the level of income would make you below rich? If the answer is no what is the income level that would make you rich there?

Where-Do-You-Stand-on-America's-Wealth-Spectrum: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
well, you can easily buy a house in my home town and probably have it paid off in 2-3 years if you're smart about it. I'd consider that to be pretty rich. Maybe not by the definition rich, but you are definitely well off. You at least have enough money to eliminate a lot of debt/burdens and you can take care of your parents when they get to old and you can pay for your kids education with no problem.

You're better off than most of us will ever be.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:48 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
$170k/yr is not rich. But a family could live a comfortable life in most parts of the country on $170k. It's a very comfortable living for a single person. But not rich.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
In my opinion, if you have to work for your money, your still working class. When you have enough money that the money works for you (as in it earns enough interest that you don't have to work) thats when you call yourself rich.

That theory is courtesy of Bill Cosby.
I like that quote. I think it makes a lot of sense. Of course its still quite relative.

Personally I think if you have half a million in the bank and you have a house paid off, you are set for life if you want to be and you can do something for your enjoyment, not because you need an income. At the very least you'd only need to work part time.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:02 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I always think of rich as a life style. I know Some Dr.'s who make $250,000 a year but rarely have any time off. But on the other hand I know a guy who owns a business who makes less but comes and goes as he wishes, seem rich to me. he's got a plane a boat and lots of toys,

I have also known a few successful visual artist who make a lot less but seem like they never work, their entire life every day seem to be at leisure.

In the Midwest a married couple who are both High school educated , blue collar, teamsters could conceivably make upward toward $200,000 but they would have hardly any time off and if you saw them at the mall would not see a rich couple.

my financial plan consist of finding out what I want to do after 5:00 pm and on weekends, and find a job that is conducive to that activity

Old 11-08-2009, 08:06 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
On my side of town it's considered rich...

Old 11-08-2009, 08:14 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
$170,000 per year looks to be about the 90th percentile. I don't know if you consider that to be rich, but you are richer than 90% of the people.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 AM

272 posts, read 215,726 times
Rich is when you can live off your investments comfortably and they still grow. No one who has to work is rich

Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post
Rich is when you can live off your investments comfortably and they still grow. No one who has to work is rich
I concur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies