Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,902,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Yep. Be careful how you use the word "female" because many tend to think its offensive. Shaming femininity and masculinity leads to more feminine men and more masculine women than ever before. Does anyone still wonder why dating has become so complex for so many?
Can you explain what you mean by that? There has always been masculine women and feminine men.

Much of what we consider feminine are things imposed by men...whether it be Hugh Hefner's ideas about what sort of women appear in his magazine, or the guy who starts a religion with strict rules about dress for women.

I watched a fascinating program on PBS about gender in Navajo culture the other night. Navajo culture allows for just more than the two gender system, including a place for the feminine man.

You seem to suggest in your post that the existence of people who don't conform to traditional gender norms is something new, when it is not.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,232,508 times
Quote:
Yep. Be careful how you use the word "female" because many tend to think its offensive. Shaming femininity and masculinity leads to more feminine men and more masculine women than ever before. Does anyone still wonder why dating has become so complex for so many?

Men and women, or males and females. Pick one. It's really not that difficult. To use "men" and then "females" reeks of sexism in the same way as "man and wife," like the man is the main entity and the woman is ancillary.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,620,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Men and women, or males and females. Pick one. It's really not that difficult. To use "men" and then "females" reeks of sexism in the same way as "man and wife," like the man is the main entity and the woman is ancillary.
Or youre just overly sensitive, which seems to be perfectly welcome in todays world. Its kinda of like trying to explain to someone how a movement called "feminist movement" could never possibly benefit both genders, by its very definition.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,643,488 times
Quote:
Or youre just overly sensitive, which seems to be perfectly welcome in todays world. Its kinda of like trying to explain to someone how a movement called "feminist movement" could never possibly benefit both genders, by its very definition.
It could possibly benefit both genders if those of the male gender saw it as beneficial that the opposite gender got equality where it was lacking. However I do agree that feminist couldn't possibly benefit both genders as in my opinion guys generallly abhor gals gaining equality and would rather gals be subservients/inferiors/lessers.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,643,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Agreed. Personally, I think it's much, much easier to date in a world where both men and women can do what they want when they want in terms of asking someone out, suggesting an activity, paying, making sexual advances, etc. without worrying about B.S. rules about which person is supposed to do what and when. It's less confusing, not more, IMO.
Egh those rules have likely always existed since courtship was established likely the only 'worry-free' time was back in caveman eras where male on female rape was rampagnt and it'd only be the males that could do what they want when they want. People can do what they want when they want now I'm unsure why you think otherwise. (?)

Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,612,606 times
Quote:
Also, male/female refers to sex while man/woman refers to gender, so it leads to even more people confusing those things, which happens more than enough as it is.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,902,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
It could possibly benefit both genders if those of the male gender saw it as beneficial that the opposite gender got equality where it was lacking. However I do agree that feminist couldn't possibly benefit both genders as in my opinion guys generallly abhor gals gaining equality and would rather gals be subservients/inferiors/lessers.
I think it really depends on the vantage point. A healthy well adjusted father wants his daughters to have the same opportunities in the workplace that a male has. It benefits him by not having to support his daughter as an adult if he does not wish to. Years ago women who didn't marry were often forced to live at home because of disparities in pay.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,612,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
Egh those rules have likely always existed since courtship was established likely the only 'worry-free' time was back in caveman eras where male on female rape was rampagnt and it'd only be the males that could do what they want when they want. People can do what they want when they want now I'm unsure why you think otherwise. (?)
I don't. Re-read my post. I was agreeing with you, as indicated by the first word of the post.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,849,169 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. We are all MEN....there are men and there are fe men - or fe males...What's the big deal? What is sexism anyway? I don't think it ever existed...Human nature and the trait of human need for dominance occurs in all sexes...Do you think that a man would dare to oppress or insult a highly intelligent and assertive female? Not likely...Those who seek dominance don't care what sex you are - The size up men AND woman and calculate who is weak enough to oppress or dominate...It's just like so called racism...those that will oppress another human being don't care what color you are. Don't tolerate disrespect...respect is the empowerment of another- If someone attempts to dis-empower you..Stand up and put a stop to it...Forget about parroting slogans and rhetoric mentioning sexism or racism...stand tall.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,864,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Also, male/female refers to sex while man/woman refers to gender, so it leads to even more people confusing those things, which happens more than enough as it is.
Thanks. I was just going to post this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.