Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,742,731 times

Advertisements

I have been trapped for a couple of weeks because I'm about to have surgery. Hubby wanted to take a ride to one of my favorite places this past weekend. He talked me into going. He made me get a motor cart so I didn't hurt so bad. I didn't like the idea because the only people you ever see in them are the obese.

I gave in. There was a couple that were in the carts there that were both at least 100 lbs overweight. When outside, you cannot have the carts. The two of them were walking just fine.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life. If I don't do things correctly I gain weight. Even with this hip surgery coming, I am still working out my upper body and core.

People have to want a different life. Labeling obesity as a disease now gives them an excuse.

I do not believe in being mean to people for any physical qualities. I may disapprove but am not mean. I completely disapprove of the label that obesity will be given.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,903,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There's not many men left like you Mac. You're from another era when more was expected of men. Good for you, keep it up. I have to try that sit up routine you have going LOL.
I have a tip up for my bad back and can do 25 sit up upside down that's a work out. Wicked hard for me to do. i don't know a day with out pain, but if i stop I freeze, and if i freeze i die. This freeze has nothing to do with cold. I love the dry cold 0 degrees and colder. I have nerve damage in my legs which acts up when i am relaxed. If i didn't have that i could probably run miles, but i can't. I can hike miles though, and i do with my wife. She will winter camp with me too.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
What? You actually MOVE and try to stay fit? Next you are going to tell us that you eat healthy food. That's unheard of! Shouldn't you be able to just sprinkle some Sensa on your daily grease burger and swallow a bunch of weight loss pills instead?

I hear you, though. If I sat around on my duff all day, I'd quickly gain a lot of weight. Unfortunately, I also LOVE Bacon-Cheeseburgers that I would, ideally, scarf down every single day. Along with a Strawberry shake and an unhealthy serving of chocolate (I love Milka).

You know what I do instead? I go to the gym several times a week, I ride a bike, I walk up stairs instead of taking an elevator (five floors or less is easy), I cook healthy food, I don't snack, I don't drive from store to store but walk across the parking lot, and I allow myself one can of Coke a day (water at ALL other times).

And because I do all of that, I don't have to feel bad if I eat my burger or drink my shake - although I certainly don't do so every day.

It's called personal responsibility and exerting control over your caloric intake.

I am NOT young, my stomach is flat, my blood pressure is optimal, I have zero health issues, my BMI is normal, my heart rate is perfect.

Alas, it takes work, dedication, self-control, and battling my lazy side.

My best friend is much younger than I am - he exerts no control over his unhealthy habits. His doctor has given him lecture after lecture that he is headed straight for a heart attack if he doesn't improve his lifestyle.

I guess he is just "ill" - it's not that he eats like a glutton and never moves. Even he doesn't think his obesity is an illness - he thinks he's fat because of the way he eats and lives.
Yup I am a mover..... grow my own food harvest to harvest

one way and only one way to get here 2 seasons same year this year.

No stinking pills.... last time I saw doc was in 2006

wife 11 years my jr

wasn't BSing about winter camping either

I am just about the only one on CD that uses pics as proof. The PC say i am scared.. LOL

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 06-18-2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,257,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I have been trapped for a couple of weeks because I'm about to have surgery. Hubby wanted to take a ride to one of my favorite places this past weekend. He talked me into going. He made me get a motor cart so I didn't hurt so bad. I didn't like the idea because the only people you ever see in them are the obese.

I gave in. There was a couple that were in the carts there that were both at least 100 lbs overweight. When outside, you cannot have the carts. The two of them were walking just fine.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life. If I don't do things correctly I gain weight. Even with this hip surgery coming, I am still working out my upper body and core.

People have to want a different life. Labeling obesity as a disease now gives them an excuse.

I do not believe in being mean to people for any physical qualities. I may disapprove but am not mean. I completely disapprove of the label that obesity will be given.
I'm probably a couple of years away from hip replacement due to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobility Type). We go out several times a week so that I can take the manual wheelchair around for exercise. It's really hard to control your weight when you're ordered not to walk. Mine's stable, but I'm trying to drop a few pounds with the wheelchair. When I do use a motorized cart, like in Costco, I have my cane with me, so it's obvious I have a problem. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a lady on one of their carts who could only fit one cheek on the seat. She was buying healthy food, so I did wonder what cause her overweight condition. Hopefully, she's under treatment.

Good luck with your surgery.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,742,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I'm probably a couple of years away from hip replacement due to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobility Type). We go out several times a week so that I can take the manual wheelchair around for exercise. It's really hard to control your weight when you're ordered not to walk. Mine's stable, but I'm trying to drop a few pounds with the wheelchair. When I do use a motorized cart, like in Costco, I have my cane with me, so it's obvious I have a problem. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a lady on one of their carts who could only fit one cheek on the seat. She was buying healthy food, so I did wonder what cause her overweight condition. Hopefully, she's under treatment.

Thank you. It is and will be temporary for my mobility challenges. I'm sure it is very hard to control weight when wheelchair bound.

I'm glad the woman had healthy choices with her. Maybe she has made a decision to change. Who knows.

This would be the reason I do not make fun of physical characteristics. You never know what someone is going through at any given time.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,707,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Who exactly decides where that "line" is? Maybe the government should step in and just jail people who cross the "line" as they see fit so nobody gets offended? I mean saying somebody is a bit chubby is gonna offend some loon somewhere. NSA has all the data they can just go through it and send out the po po and be done with it.
oh please, most of the time a little ribbing is no big deal. in fact most of the time i just consider the source and shrug it off. but what you and a number of others on this thread have posted is CLEARLY across the line, crap like farming fat people to make fuel is far beyond the line. and no i dont want some government type who thinks they know better than everyone else where the line is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua84 View Post
If more people were mean about others being fat, it wouldn't be so comfortable to be fat that they would do something about it.
you would think, but put yourself in the fat persons shoes for once. you might think that making fat people uncomfortable being fat would make them decide to change and lose the weight, but the reality is, like alcoholics, it only drives them further into obesity. hurting someones feelings doesnt help a situation it makes it worse.

i am in the process of losing weight myself, and it is tough. so unless you have been there, you have NO clue.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,707,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Thank you. It is and will be temporary for my mobility challenges. I'm sure it is very hard to control weight when wheelchair bound.

I'm glad the woman had healthy choices with her. Maybe she has made a decision to change. Who knows.

This would be the reason I do not make fun of physical characteristics. You never know what someone is going through at any given time.
i have been losing weight recently due to medical issues i have. i recently went on dialysis and i have to control my sodium, potassium, and phosphorus intake, as well as my liquid intake. its a radical change in diet and it isnt easy as there are many foods that are now essentially off limits to me, including a lot of healthy foods, like tomatos, potatos, corn, bread, milk, cheese, etc. so until you walk a mile in someones shoes, you dont really know what is going on.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post

Instead of setting about waiting for surgery why don't you work out real hard and drop your weight below what ever the stupid line is set by some govt idiot?

What is it with people who feel sorry for themselves? And yet do nothing about it? I have set broken bones because just learned how.

16 weeks since I moved here i didn't do the sit ups. That was because 2 times I fell at work and broke ribs. I still worked. That works out to no sit up for 8 weeks each time i broke ribs. I didn't see any doctors for that either. It hurts so what. I have broken ribs more than that so far.

I broke my left pinky finger and the bone in my hand behind it and I set that too in 2010. I lost a battle with a 1 inch think steel plate that weighed 54 pounds. Still worked and that job was outdoors in winter.

My dad dies in 97 of double lung cancer and was never a smoker of any kind.. That was his first time in life to be sick and he was given 3 months to live. He went 9, but he said he had the cancer one time and that was it. He didn't want anyone to feel sorrow for him about it. That was just his way.

In some ways it is my way but i repeat things in the hopes that modern people will harden up... I must admit i am not having any success.

Seems to me each day and modern people just grow softer than the day before. That isn't ever going to be my way.

So while you may feel softer and wring your hands of refusal to take care of your self i will still remain harder than rocks and if it comes to be legal i will farm you for fuel.If you don't like that get fit.

That boat was a great idea... You can be boat fuel and fuel my trucks too..

God help this nation........

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,332,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Instead of setting about waiting for surgery why don't you work out real hard and drop your weight below what ever the stupid line is set by some govt idiot?

What is it with people who feel sorry for themselves? And yet do nothing about it? I have set broken bones because just learned how.

16 weeks since I moved here i didn't do the sit ups. That was because 2 times I fell at work and broke ribs. I still worked. That works out to no sit up for 8 weeks each time i broke ribs. I didn't see any doctors for that either. It hurts so what. I have broken ribs more than that so far.

I broke my left pinky finger and the bone in my hand behind it and I set that too in 2010. I lost a battle with a 1 inch think steel plate that weighed 54 pounds. Still worked and that job was outdoors in winter.

My dad dies in 97 of double lung cancer and was never a smoker of any kind.. That was his first time in life to be sick and he was given 3 months to live. He went 9, but he said he had the cancer one time and that was it. He didn't want anyone to feel sorrow for him about it. That was just his way.

In some ways it is my way but i repeat things in the hopes that modern people will harden up... I must admit i am not having any success.

Seems to me each day and modern people just grow softer than the day before. That isn't ever going to be my way.

So while you may feel softer and wring your hands of refusal to take care of your self i will still remain harder than rocks and if it comes to be legal i will farm you for fuel.If you don't like that get fit.

That boat was a great idea... You can be boat fuel and fuel my trucks too..

God help this nation........
We get it, you're amazing, you're better than everyone, you're even smarter than your physician apparently. I applaud your amazing feats, and the fact that you can do them parallel to posting on CD regularly from early in the morning to late at night. What I don't get is what all of your self aggrandizement has to do with obesity being declared a disease, can you explain the correlation?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have been losing weight recently due to medical issues i have. i recently went on dialysis and i have to control my sodium, potassium, and phosphorus intake, as well as my liquid intake. its a radical change in diet and it isnt easy as there are many foods that are now essentially off limits to me, including a lot of healthy foods, like tomatos, potatos, corn, bread, milk, cheese, etc. so until you walk a mile in someones shoes, you dont really know what is going on.
I hope you spend a lot of time researching foods... You will find fast rising breads and that sort of thing probably have caused your poor health. GMO foods are for sure not going to be your friends. There is BS in milk now from fast growth BS man made to feed the masses, and about the only milk left fit to eat is almond milk.

It's 1am in my morning so i am not getting into foods too deep and it really isn't my bee's wax anyway, but I eat the right stuff of i would be sick like a lot of people are because they are just too lazy to care and eat total crap all the time.

That life style will catch up with people and it will kill them. For many and maybe you it's too late and you have caused your own life to be shorter and contain less quality than it had too. It is what it is ...

On the other hand a space rock might hit me in the head as i sleep.... All bets are off .... I just don't trust or depend on anyone else for a damned thing excluding my Bride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies