Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,444,846 times

Advertisements

So, how high do you think the oil prices will go this winter and how low will the US$ go?

Oil Prices Soar Nearly $2 a Barrel
Tuesday November 6, 9:37 am ET
By Pablo Gorondi, Associated Press Writer
Oil Prices Rise $2 a Barrel on Supply Concerns, Drop Seen in US Inventories

Moderator cut: copyrighted article

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 03:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,636,056 times
$100 per barrel will be this year easily, and possibly even $110. People thought that was impossible about 5 years ago, at least within the next 25 years.

I'm all for MPG standards from Congress. I'm a free market supporter, until the very infrastructure of our country is all being dictated by a foreign, volatile market. We need alternatives to gasoline/diesel like 20 years ago. We are really looking more and more screwed each day that goes by. And unfortunately Hillary or the mainstream Republican candidates are a vote for more of the same. Selling our country to China and the Middle East, as well as to the war industry. It will take massive changes to turn the US around, and if we don't turn it around soon, we will fall from power and be subject to other countries directly controlling us and telling us how to run our country, much the way we have them for the last few decades.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM

We are really looking more and more screwed each day that goes by.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I live in MA and the heating season here will mean deciding between putting gas in your car, eating or having a house that is not freezing cold for a LOT of people. 40% of the houses are heated with oil over 40% are heated with gas. Personally I just cut down on my driving, lower my thermostat. But we are moving soon, and the first investment we will make is a pellet stove or wood stove with a high efficiency rating and investing into insulating the house. I drive a car that gets good gas mileage and only use about 30 gallons of gas a month, but my next car will be a hybrid.
The falling US$ will only contribute to higher oil prices, we are so scr**ed.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Watching an empire collapse can be interesting. Living in the empire while it collapses is another matter. We have destroyed ourselves with the combined mistakes of deindustrialization driven by a "free' market and deficit spending to avoid taxing our militarists to pay for a contrived war.

Maybe we should let King George stay in power so we have a clear idea of who to blame.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:49 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,061,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
So, how high do you think the oil prices will go this winter and how low will the US$ go?

Oil Prices Soar Nearly $2 a Barrel
Tuesday November 6, 9:37 am ET
By Pablo Gorondi, Associated Press Writer
Oil Prices Rise $2 a Barrel on Supply Concerns, Drop Seen in US Inventories

Moderator cut: copyrighted article
Don't you listen to what this admistration is claiming!
every thing is going well. We are stronger than ever.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 02:59 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM

Maybe we should let King George stay in power so we have a clear idea of who to blame.

Yes, I'd hate to be the one that follows him, he/she will have to deal with the fall out...

Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
Don't you listen to what this admistration is claiming!
every thing is going well. We are stronger than ever.
LOL. I am sure the stock holders of oil companies are "going stronger than ever"!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,513,707 times
Default gullotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Watching an empire collapse can be interesting. Living in the empire while it collapses is another matter. We have destroyed ourselves with the combined mistakes of deindustrialization driven by a "free' market and deficit spending to avoid taxing our militarists to pay for a contrived war.

Would we be allow to guillotine him if we had a revolution in this country.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,900,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Do you think anyone who helped elect him would understand what they are now seeing now after 7 years of this mess? We (the nation) would have been better off with a monkey in office flipping a coin to make the decisions. Seven years of destroying a nation I worry about the last year and what he can do with that!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 AM

559 posts, read 1,324,971 times
Well, since planet Earth is now experiencing a decline in oil production, since we have exhausted many of our oil fields, along with other natural reasources, prices will keep going higher until we change our energy consumption habits. Either we change or the prices will force us to change. I admit, it is a very frightening situation, not just for the U.S. but the world as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies