Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Wrong.
Right.

See how that works? Or rather - DOESN'T work?

Apparently you don't place much stock in communication skills. I do - which is why I am constantly aghast at Obama's lack of speaking skills when there's not a teleprompter going. I have higher standards, I guess, for the President of the United States. Heck, I was a corporate trainer for many years, and the private company I worked for had higher standards for ME - and I wasn't the Commander and Chief of the United States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Have you honestly never heard him speak without a teleprompter? He's practically dead in the water without one.

He's such a consummate lawyer that he can't give a casual, off the cuff answer to anything. Everything is either scripted or filled with "Ummmmm, uhhhhhhh, ahhhhh, errrr...." It's truly pathetic.

I will note that your answer to my question was not an answer to my question at all. My question was: is there a translator? Is Obama having to wait for the translation before speaking his next sentence?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

See how that works? Or rather - DOESN'T work?
Still wrong. See how that works? Only fools rail on someone who pauses or interjects with uhh while speaking. Everyone I know has to pause & think while speaking. It's human nature.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
There are real reasons to criticize Obama. This is not one of them.

And being a poor speaker does not make one unintelligent. He's smarter than me and you, considering he attended Columbia and Harvard, and is the POTUS.

I said the same thing with Bush, by the way.
I would not just assume that a President is smarter than you or I.

There are many people in the nation of high intelligence than the President. Any President.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 AM

6,259 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I will note that your answer to my question was not an answer to my question at all.
Yeah, well she's watching you watching him watching her.

NEW E*TRADE Baby -- Best Man - YouTube

Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM

6,259 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Still wrong. See how that works? Only fools rail on someone who pauses or interjects with uhh while speaking. Everyone I know has to pause & think while speaking. It's human nature.
Wrong. Only fools don't take the training needed to become a more effective public speaker. Effective speakers don't umm and uhhh - they pause silently to gather their thoughts before continuing on. That training is available for the lowest level manager in any mid-large size company and it is available to the President of the United States.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Wrong. Only fools don't take the training needed to become a more effective public speaker. Effective speakers don't umm and uhhh - they pause silently to gather their thoughts before continuing on. That training is available for the lowest level manager in any mid-large size company and it is available to the President of the United States.
Everyone on CD is an expert on everything.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Then, change the channel. Sheesh, why do I have to explain this stuff to you??
Shouldn't the President of the United States speak clearly?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Note the difference.

If you have the balls.

President Reagan Speaks at a Press Conference - YouTube

Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I will note that your answer to my question was not an answer to my question at all. My question was: is there a translator? Is Obama having to wait for the translation before speaking his next sentence?
Take note of this next time you watch him give a speech or talk off the cuff, without a teleprompter. The man absolutely cannot go three words without hmming and hawing and umming. It's ridiculous! It's nothing but a very irritating habit that someone in his position certainly ought to be able to shake.

As for the translator - how would I know? It doesn't matter - it's a moot point - because he does the same thing whether a translator is required or not. The man can't give a coherent speech without a teleprompter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies