Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
1 out of 3 Americans are now in the "low income category"

Suze Orman: 'Middle class will not exist' – CNN Newsroom - CNN.com Blogs
Looking at CBO data, the bottom two fifths of income earners' wages has risen by over 20% since 1979 (adjusted for inflation, of course). If you actually look at the data, more people are coming out of the low income category today than ever before. Your Suzie Orman video talks about what people feel inequality is. It doesn't take any real data into account. How is that a good source?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Looking at CBO data, the bottom two fifths of income earners' wages has risen by over 20% since 1979 (adjusted for inflation, of course). If you actually look at the data, more people are coming out of the low income category today than ever before. Your Suzie Orman video talks about what people feel inequality is. It doesn't take any real data into account. How is that a good source?
Will you wake up to reality??

You weren't even alive in 1979.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Will you wake up to reality??

You weren't even alive in 1979.
The fact that I wasn't alive in 1979 has nothing to do with the fact that I can read data tables from the CBO. Can you actually look at facts instead of making decisions based on pure emotions?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 AM

562 posts, read 989,040 times
My only general comment on movements like Occupy: The government and big industry have the endless pockets to discredit movements. Don't take what you see on the news at face value. Popular news like FOX, CNN, MSNBC etc. are old viable for gauging if you've got someone's attention. Often these organizations are in full censorship of issues or they focus on distorting one metric to discredit whole movements.

I suppose my point in a nutshell is: Don't trust mainstream media about everything.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times

Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM

Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
You know what, you're right. It's not a competition of who's doing more or who cares more..I'm the one that turned it into a pissing contest there so my bad on that.

The point about focused on the things that I can directly impact was a poorly articulated way to say that we need to change things on the ground level, particularly in the absence of a strong movement to affect change. Our Country has systemic issues and a disinterested populace, which is one of the reasons I find the Occupy movement so frustrating. We had change served up to us on a silver platter due to public opinion and rage, and the movement failed to capitalize on it due to all of the reasons I've previously detailed.

So my back and forth with you and others on this thread is intended to ilicit thought about bringing the movement back. The new incarnation, if there ever is one, needs to learn from the mistakes of the previous if it wants to make the kind of impact it's supporters desire. That's all..
I understand your sentiment. I was defensive just because of the posters who came before you, not so much what you had said. I definitely agree with you about the disinterested populace and our systematic issues. I also definitely agree with you that things need to be more strategic the next time around.

I guess to me is that what's so frustrating is that when you have a disinterested populace, or an uneducated populace, they are very easy to influence. The tactics that were used to suppress the Occupy Movement were un-American and in some cases downright criminal. While the organization on a macro level might not have been there for Occupy, their fight was. And despite intimidation and violence, they continued to stand up for a cause they believed in why there fellow Americans heckled them and criticized.

I'm definitely a guy that's open to others opinions on how to combat the problem. Despite my personal situation, I also care about my friends, family, and other Americans. I work on a near daily basis to combat the problem through raising awareness, helping my peers achieve their dreams, and through my business practices.

Honestly I'm just glad to see so many Americans starting to question what is going on Economically in this country.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 AM

Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 AM

What about business owners who support Occupy? Or wealthy people who support Occupy? Or politicians who support Occupy?

Do you have a cute cartoon for us?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
My only general comment on movements like Occupy: The government and big industry have the endless pockets to discredit movements. Don't take what you see on the news at face value. Popular news like FOX, CNN, MSNBC etc. are old viable for gauging if you've got someone's attention. Often these organizations are in full censorship of issues or they focus on distorting one metric to discredit whole movements.

I suppose my point in a nutshell is: Don't trust mainstream media about everything.
You make a great point and for a long time, many Americans bought into the propaganda. More are starting to wake up now and see that the issues are real and very relevant.

If you go through the 1st page on city-data, count how many could be linked to issues Occupy brought up or has discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies