Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The ticket should be for a "base" weight and EVERYONE pays for their additional pounds above the base.
So someone who weighs 200+ pounds but still has a healthy weight for their height would be penalized then, is that what you are suggesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
I'm not a petite fellow, but it seems fair - the bigger you are the more fuel you'll consume, so it only makes sense to pay by the pound... Although, most likely airlines would set current fares at 100 pounds, and go from there.
That's the problem. When you start setting benchmarks, the setter will always use a starting point most beneficial to their bottom line. It's also a very regressive practice.

Maybe they should just charge by the pound like mail service. Wouldn't that be special if we could not only be felt up like fruit by the TSA, but weighed like meat by the airlines! And we'd being paying for the honors. Oh the police state is a joy to live in, isn't it?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
I think it should be along the lines of fit in 1 seat, pay for 1 seat; need more than 1 seat, pay for more than 1 seat.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
How about they base their prices on hauling one person per seat regardless of the person's size and/or weight?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
We should also charge double for guys who can't keep their legs closed in tight spaces. If your package is that big, doesn't it deserve another seat so you can air it out in peace?

Oh, and extra for the broad-shouldered, too, because they take up a lot of space in the seat (said shoulders are frequently attached to the spraddled legs).

In all seriousness, I think by the pound is more fair, along with reasonably-sized seats.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
On my last trip from Asia to Europe I had the misfortune of having to sit next to an outrageously obese woman, taking up my space with her flabby arms.

Now, surely these people should have to pay more for the air ticket due to extra weight and space concerns.

How about it?
They should pay half fare. If a plane were to go down in water, they would provide much needed buoyancy.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The ticket should be for a "base" weight and EVERYONE pays for their additional pounds above the base.
I'd totally diet for a cheaper plane ticket... Plus I'd do what the wrestling kids used to do in high school to get under their weight limit prior to a match---fasting, dehydration, and so on... Then I'd just binge on the plane.

And I'm not that big a guy either, so I could probably get a good discount...

Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
On my last trip from Asia to Europe I had the misfortune of having to sit next to an outrageously obese woman, taking up my space with her flabby arms.

Now, surely these people should have to pay more for the air ticket due to extra weight and space concerns.

How about it?
You know you could have made some scratch by auctioning off your seat to someone with a fatty fetish. Have to think like a captialist there K-K in these down and dirty times.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I have had the same experience - the woman was embarrassed and apologetic beyond belief. I reassured her that we'd both make it through the experience and apologized for resting my left arm on one of her rolls. We both laughed and spent nine hours in friendly conversation.

Alas, no, obese people should NOT have to pay twice the fare. Instead, they - like everybody else - should step on a scale with their luggage and pay by total weight.
They should pay by total weight and they should get their money's worth, as in a seat that is big enough for them.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
We should also charge double for guys who can't keep their legs closed in tight spaces. If your package is that big, doesn't it deserve another seat so you can air it out in peace?

LOL. One of the main reasons why I don't like sitting next to certain guys on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies