Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,917,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That whole BMI thing is a friggen joke. If your 6"4" and weight around 225 and your borderline obese according to that thing. For that person to be at the top of the "normal" weight range I should weigh 200lbs. That is what I weighed when I was in the military. It's ridiculous. I am obese according to BMI. I'm 6'4 and weigh 240 or so. I'm hardly obese.
Chubby people always complain that the BMI scale is unfair. For your height, you are overweight. Facts may be harsh but they are still facts.

6'4" 240lbs is not exactly svelte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:47 PM

90 posts, read 72,957 times
Quote:
That whole BMI thing is a friggen joke. If your 6"4" and weight around 225 and your borderline obese according to that thing. For that person to be at the top of the "normal" weight range I should weigh 200lbs. That is what I weighed when I was in the military. It's ridiculous. I am obese according to BMI. I'm 6'4 and weigh 240 or so. I'm hardly obese.
Pics?

240 is pretty hefty, ever for 6 4. Unless you're a bodybuilder you're almost certainly borderline obese, definitely fat.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,347 times
skinnies should get a discount..

Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
On my last trip from Asia to Europe I had the misfortune of having to sit next to an outrageously obese woman, taking up my space with her flabby arms.

Now, surely these people should have to pay more for the air ticket due to extra weight and space concerns.

How about it?

I've been there, 9 hour flight from Hawaii to JFK. Horrible experience. My back was sore from actually having to shift my body in my seat to avoid being crushed.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No, it is not sexist, simply because men would pay more, on average. Our dinner bills are usually more, too, because we eat more. Same concept, we are consuming more fuel per mile flown, we should pay more.
Agreed. If I weigh more than my wife, then I should pay more. If she weighs more than I, then she should pay more. Since we are talking total weight, including all your luggage, you have direct control over your charges. If you want to pay less, pack less.

The weight approach would also assure that children get charged accordingly. Right now, they are basically subsidizing adults while they generally can not take advantage of other offered services.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why?
It's disrespectful.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
After reading this thread, I just thank God I don't have to fly very often. I'm average size, not skinny, nor obese. I'd rather fly next to an obese person that doesn't stink or isn't rude any day of the week. My last flight I spent with some non-obese guy next to me, who couldn't follow the turn-off your electronics instructions, had the volume up on his movie that I could hear every word even though he had ear-phones on, and spent the whole flight with his elbow in my rib cage, while I sat scrunched together neither using the arm-rest or the whole right side of my seat. And... just how many times do you have to get out? Dude.. either get the aisle not window or go get a prostrate exam.... Let's charge these folks more.. after all ... they take 1/2 your seat also...

Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No, it is not sexist, simply because men would pay more, on average. Our dinner bills are usually more, too, because we eat more. Same concept, we are consuming more fuel per mile flown, we should pay more.
It is sexist because males weight more. Women weight less and therefore weight less. My previous posts shows that the average 55-60 year old white American male would spend about 732 for a ticket (at $4 per pound compared to 620 for the average 55-60 white American female. If say charge men $3.50 rather than $4, there would not be as drastic of a premium for being a male who weighs more before talking about obesity issues.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
A joke? Not really. BMI is a very, very good predictor of a plethora of medical conditions.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
On my last trip from Asia to Europe I had the misfortune of having to sit next to an outrageously obese woman, taking up my space with her flabby arms.

Now, surely these people should have to pay more for the air ticket due to extra weight and space concerns.

How about it?
Whatever airlines choose to charge is their business.

I would much rather sit by a fatty than somebody with a crying baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies