Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,392,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
not to mention Jim Crow and institutionalized racism post 1960's. Give it up, the poor downtrodden whites whine isn't going to fly....with me, of course.

Give me a contemporary example of working class white political power in this country. They are going to be clobbered for the duration by a "path to citizenship" for 10 million undocumented workers not here lawfully - yet their interests are not even a significant part of the current debate on immigration reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,830,403 times
It's easier to get foreigners (immigrants) to grovel than a local white person, so yes, white folk are screwed because they'll always be conveniently labeled as work shy, or not ass licking enough.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,313,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Could you expand on what exactly the impact affirmative action has on the working class white man?
Pfft, affirmative action has benefitted and positively effected WHITE woman, more than anybody else. Many of the blacks that do get Affirmative action are blacks of NON AA and NON civil rights descent stock.

And originally affirmative action was created for Jews and them extended to other minorities and minorities and oppressed groups. It's all a bunch of semantics though.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:58 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,313,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Give me a contemporary example of working class white political power in this country. They are going to be clobbered for the duration by a "path to citizenship" for 10 million undocumented workers not here lawfully - yet their interests are not even a significant part of the current debate on immigration reform.
True.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM

25,805 posts, read 16,456,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesiss View Post
No political ties to men in power (the famous "white privilege" only exists for rich folks)

No advantages in colleges, corporations, or other institutions that utilize affirmative action

No minority scholarships

Is there any advantage at all to being born white and unconnected in the United States in your opinion?
I don't spend ANY time thinking I have a bad deal or someone else has it better. Because that is a total waste of time. I work hard, I work OT and I also do side jobs. I pay my taxes, in fact I'm proud to pay my taxes because there are a lot of people out there who haven't been as lucky as I've been in my life.

I just wish they would stop welfare and immigration (especially ILLEGAL immigration) and focus on helping Americans to help themselves. And get the thugs off the street.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:13 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
LMAO...whites have had a two to three century advantage ...and I'm supposed to cry my eyes out about their nonexistent misfortune?

Yeah...that'll happen.

Life sucks sometimes...welcome to the land of "the rest of us."

After all, who FOUND this country?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:32 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,871,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Pfft, affirmative action has benefitted and positively effected WHITE woman, more than anybody else. Many of the blacks that do get Affirmative action are blacks of NON AA and NON civil rights descent stock.
First, when you have to defend an unfair, unethical, and discriminatory policy by arguing that it is more sexist than it is racist, it is time to stop defending that policy.

Second, while it has become popular to argue that affirmative action has benefited white women more than anybody else, this is only true in a very narrow sense: government contracting preferences have benefited white women more than anybody else. With other affirmative action policies this is not the case. Further, in college admissions in the present day men get an unfair preference over women in an attempt to keep balance, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
And originally affirmative action was created for Jews and them extended to other minorities and minorities and oppressed groups. It's all a bunch of semantics though.
This is completely untrue. If you want to educate yourself on the matter, this would be a good place to start:

Affirmative action in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Affirmative action in the United States began as a tool to address the persistent discrimination against African Americans in the 1960s." But if you want to know the whole history at least start by reading the wiki article and then move on from there.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Hispanics never decided an election for R's.

Florida.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesiss View Post
I don't want to "make it that way."

It simply is that way in my opinion, because of affirmation action programs.

Affirmative action is so 1970s. But working class whites get a big goose egg in political representation unlike their counterparts of color.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Yes. Working class black people.

Working class black people have political representation, working class white people do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies