Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times

Advertisements

News is reporting that in Obama's recent speech, he called Catholic schools divisive. What happened to religious freedom? Oh, that's right, the government thinks citizens don't have rights any

more.http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/...divisive-78053

Last edited by augiedogie; 06-19-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
News is reporting that in Obama's recent speech, he called Catholic schools divisive, and called for their closure. What happened to religious freedom? Oh, that's right, the government thinks citizens don't have rights any more.
Do you have a link to substantiate your allegation ... or did you just copy/paste remarks from one of the 'we hat America' weblogs? I wonder.

I wonder because what I see being reported is different than your allegations and the remarks were made in Northern Ireland about the historical differences between Protestants and Catholics in Northern Ireland:

Quote:
US President Barack Obama has argued that parochial schools are an impediment to the establishment of a lasting peace in Northern Ireland.

Speaking to a crowd in Belfast, during a trip to Northern Ireland for a G8 summit meeting, Obama said that “segregated schools” block the path to full reconciliation. “If towns remain divided, if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can't see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division, it discourages co-operation," he said.
Source: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/...?storyid=18195

Let's see the link supporting your allegation so that we can view what you say has been said was 1) actually said, and 2) learn of the context in which the remarks were made.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
News is reporting that in Obama's recent speech, he called Catholic schools divisive. What happened to religious freedom? Oh, that's right, the government thinks citizens don't have rights any

more.Obama offends Catholics in the UK, says religious schools are divisive - BizPac Review
With gomexico kindly providing the context, you look more than a little dishonest right now.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
0bama needs to shut his pie hole about religion. Any religion. He's hardly an expert on the subject.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM

90 posts, read 72,952 times
Your self pity is amazing.

He criticized the school. He didn't say the school shouldn't exist. He criticized.

Now he's an enemy of religious freedom?

The hyperbolic pity party of the Christian Right never ceases to amaze.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
0bama needs to shut his pie hole about religion. Any religion. He's hardly an expert on the subject.
This is just amazing.

The guy suggests that perhaps segregating the young'uns by religion isn't the greatest idea while visiting Northern ****in' Ireland, a country that pretty much is the European object lesson in what happens when you give in to the idea that it's OK to knock someone on the head if he worships the wrong way.

It's only common sense - and you guys still b.tch and moan.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Didn't his pastor - Reverend Wright shout "G_ D_ America!"?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,018 times
I think ALL religion, whether its in a school or not, is divisive. However, as long as a religious school is not funded by tax dollars I see no problem. Maybe its me, but the Christian right does get offended easily. I get the point Obama was trying to make. I doubt he'll be eliminating Catholic schools anytime soon.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Didn't his pastor - Reverend Wright shout "G_ D_ America!"?
Which according to conservatives is anti White.

Go figure.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,917,364 times
Why did the OP intentionally try to mislead people with their post?

Isn't lying on the Christian top ten list of very bad things? I don't remember an exception for telling lies about President Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies