Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
So now you are stating that people in the southern states are not well educated? That somehow our universities don't turn out some of the brightest minds in the country? I have a news flash for you... Ivy league educations do not make one intelligent or prepare one for the work force..
Rural regions lag the US overall in college graduation rates (and the US, once 1st, is now 10th globally in that stat).

That harms the rural economies. Rural is not constrained to the South, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Quoting stats is disparaging -how?

At this time, SC has one F500 hq. I hope it does change. I hope you get more. But having your economic development folks go after just low hanging fruit is not a game changer. Tn, even Nashville metro, was like that pre Bredesen (ex mayor and gov). 31 corp relos, most large hqs or regional hqs later- we had added 200,000 jobs via that method inside 7 years, and those relos Tn median salary exceeded our previous median salary level. Our tax base swelled. We maintained low taxes, while improving our business climate.

I understand Perry-he is not courting the tiny corps. Hopefully, SC put little effort on PTR. If they put a lot in, the ROI will stink. Do the math-37 jobs, 17.75 Ct median, 80% net to gross pay, 20% spent on discretionary stuff that will impact SC. About 250k a year..chump change.
I think it was insinuating we were a completely uneducated state with no possible reason to attract anyone of quality. Point of fact, several areas of our state are quite attractive with both an educated workforce and high quality of life (great schools, low crime, good pay, etc, etc). However, there are areas of our state where all of the aforementioned are dismal. That's what hurts our overall numbers. That being said, South Carolina didn't put any real effort into getting this company to move here and like I said before, it's not even on our local news. Again, this is a story of importance here on this board and not so much here in South Carolina.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Point of fact, several areas of our state are quite attractive with both an educated workforce and high quality of life (great schools, low crime, good pay, etc, etc). However, there are areas of our state where all of the aforementioned are dismal. That's what hurts our overall numbers.

That being said, South Carolina didn't put any real effort into getting this company to move here and like I said before, it's not even on our local news. Again, this is a story of importance here on this board and not so much here in South Carolina.
1st paragraph-Tn has the same issues..rural-related.

2nd paragraph-Glad to hear SC spent little regarding the insignificant firm.

I did congratulate you for not having any mention of PTR on the SC board. I know if they came to Tn no one would have cared. We want bigger fish.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
The ones all over this thread. But don't trouble your pretty little head if you don't recognize them. We know it's difficult for you to deal with anything other than data.
You can't answer the question I see. What you really meant was the asinine talking points that you prefer to call facts. Please keep posting. I enjoy comedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies