Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times

Advertisements

What do the posters look like? If the posters are like banners with Uncle Sam pointing at you with "In God We Trust" under his torso then that's disturbing and Orwellian. If it's a matter-of-fact statement of the "motto" (which I don't like, but it is the "new" motto, so whatever) with text size the same as the Constitution and the Declaration, fine. If it's huge, screaming text then no. It's funny that the people in the article are all, "No, it's not a spiritual agenda man, it's just America's motto" and in the next sentence they're all like, "We have to bring kids back to Trusting in God, they're not getting that enough from their parents," or whatever it was they said. They make it obvious that there's a religious (or at least monotheistic) agenda while denying it at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:10 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Interestingly enough, the same people that support this would be screaming bloody murder if this were coming from a non christian group, promoting for example the worshipping of trees... (now THAT I could go for :-))
They are already promoting the worship of trees, haven't you seen the explosion of greenies and "An Inconvenient Truth" being pushed to be shown as educational/indoctrination material?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
the US was really founded as a secular country which means if you want to believe in god, do it in your own home
Sorry, the US was founded on religous freedoms and personal freedoms. That means if I want to go down the street trying to talk to every person I see and evangelize, I can. If a kid wants to do the same in school, they can. If I want to go down the street and tell everyone there is no god, I can. If a kid wants to do it in school, they can.

If someone wants to keep their opinions to themselves, they can. If they want to only share their opinions with those who ask them to do so, they can.

The government is meant to be EXCLUDED from dealing with religous matters. The people can express their religion or lack of religion however they want without government intervention.

As for schools, I don't care for them to make any official statements regarding religion. Their policy should be one of neutrality, where the students are allowed to do what they want when it comes to religion.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I think some people have religion mixed up with bondage.
To some people, religion IS bondage.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
If the posters are like banners with Uncle Sam pointing at you with "In God We Trust" under his torso then that's disturbing and Orwellian..
That's an interesting point. What does the term "Orwellian" mean to you? Is your knowledge of him limited to his later novels like "1984"?

(I won't zing ya. I'm just interested to know.)

Old 11-07-2007, 10:04 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Being patriotic seems to lately have taken on the meaning that you do NOT question the decisions of the current administration. I remember all too well that anyone that dared to question these decisions was labeled a "traitor" and a "friend of the terrorists". So I have a problem with the whole issue of a republican, right wing christian (according to the article in the original post) trying to promote "patriotism and religion".
Both seem to discourage independent thought, NOT a good thing in my view.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's an interesting point. What does the term "Orwellian" mean to you? Is your knowledge of him limited to his later novels like "1984"?

(I won't zing ya. I'm just interested to know.)
Not many Americans know who Orwell was, much less the book "1984", or what it was about. For the few who have read it, believe it describes the USSR, just as "Animal Farm". But don't take my word for it, ask around.
The 1955 b/w British made "1984" movie with Edmund O'Brien as Winston Smith is not available anywhere, neither on video or DVD. The copyright has been bought and probably buried. Coincidence?
Maybe it is too dangerous.
Various posters and other christian symbols only serve as reminders to everyone, to tell everyone; we are in charge, do not dare criticize or question us, because we are always right. And don't you forget it!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 PM

90 posts, read 185,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Not many Americans know who Orwell was, much less the book "1984", or what it was about. For the few who have read it, believe it describes the USSR, just as "Animal Farm". But don't take my word for it, ask around.
The 1955 b/w British made "1984" movie with Edmund O'Brien as Winston Smith is not available anywhere, neither on video or DVD. The copyright has been bought and probably buried. Coincidence?
Various posters and other christian symbols only serve as reminders to everyone, to tell everyone; we are in charge, do not dare criticize or question us, because we are always right. And don't you forget it!
That sounds a bit paranoid if you ask me. I wear a crucifix but don't do it to shove it down people's throats. I do it because our US laws allow and protect me to express my religion. If somone wants to wear another symbol for whatever, they have the same right as well. Don't lump the minority of wacko Christians with the rest of us!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
You obviously know little of Orwell or his ideas.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Being patriotic seems to lately have taken on the meaning that you do NOT question the decisions of the current administration. .
That's certainly not a meaning to which I would subscribe.

Nothing is more dangerous to an open society than the stifling of dissent and free speech. That is why I am a conservative, as I define the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies