Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,541,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Black radio stations on Philly make racist remarks about white people all the time.
Where is the outrage liberals?
Really? When/where?

Do you have examples?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,229,870 times
The article is actually funny if you read it, and shows a complete lack of education, Paula thought having a party with all black waiters dressed in suits would be great, but she felt others would not 'understand',
Okay, Paula, it is the year 2013, the Antebellum South period is over, or should we just call her, 'Scarlet'?

I believe Paula did call staff at her restaurant,' N', thinking it was some term of affection or endearment. I can hear her drawling the word now, in the southern accent, with a long A sound at the end. She probably had no clue she was even being offensive.

A while back, an older woman called a black employee, '' Sambo'', his name is Sam, and asked him if he danced well... He laughed when telling the story, he took no offense, he said she was '' too dumb '' to know better, so why bother with it...

Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 AM

14,888 posts, read 9,976,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I love hearing people who are not affected by something telling those who are to "get over it."

Mind your damn business.
I've been directly called a lot worse things here on CD than ni__er.

Paula Deen doesn't even know you exist, she's certainly never called you or anyone on this forum anything... your faux outrage is pathetic.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 AM

7,792 posts, read 6,348,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The article is actually funny if you read it, and shows a complete lack of education, Paula thought having a party with all black waiters dressed in suits would be great, but she felt others would not 'understand',
Okay, Paula, it is the year 2013, the Antebellum South period is over, or should we just call her, 'Scarlet'?

I believe Paula did call staff at her restaurant,' N', thinking it was some term of affection or endearment. I can hear her drawling the word now, in the southern accent, with a long A sound at the end. She probably had no clue she was even being offensive.

A while back, an older woman called a black employee, '' Sambo'', his name is Sam, and asked him if he danced well... He laughed when telling the story, he took no offense, he said she was '' too dumb '' to know better, so why bother with it...

This did not happen in 2013.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:18 AM

13,678 posts, read 8,950,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Do you remember the old restaurant chain called Sambo's? At least, we had some here in the south. I do not really recall the story of Sambo (who was an young boy of India) and the tiger, save that the tiger chased Sambo around a tree for so long that the tiger melted into butter. I recall (back in the 1960s) that the restaurant had cartoon depictions of Sambo and the tiger all along the walls. Not, of course, PC, but darn good pancakes.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,031,321 times
I have watched Deen's show more than a few times. I find her mannerisms (such as using "y'all" as punctuation) tiring and unconvincing. And like many, I think much of her cooking is ridiculously rich and over the top. But that is what traditional Southern cooking is like. I don't fault her for that. Some of that food is tasty, even if you shouldn't eat it all the time.

As for the N word.... she is 66 years old and grew up in Georgia during a time when racism was normal and use of the N word was common. I would not be surprised if just about every white person in her world at that time used the N word. I think many people in a situation similar to her would deny using the N word. At least she admitted to it.

If she continues to use the word or retains views she probably had when she was younger - I'd have a problem with that.

It appears that she is capable of change. After the diabetes became known, she has dramatically changed her attitude to cooking and her own health.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,541,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I've been directly called a lot worse things here on CD than ni__er.
Uh........no you haven't. You are not Black, therefore that word means nothing to you. It means something to me.
Quote:

Paula Deen doesn't even know you exist, she's certainly never called you or anyone on this forum anything... your faux outrage is pathetic.
Nothing faux about it, and the only thing pathetic here is your lack of understanding and insight.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM

52,212 posts, read 33,986,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Do you remember the old restaurant chain called Sambo's? At least, we had some here in the south. I do not really recall the story of Sambo (who was an young boy of India) and the tiger, save that the tiger chased Sambo around a tree for so long that the tiger melted into butter. I recall (back in the 1960s) that the restaurant had cartoon depictions of Sambo and the tiger all along the walls. Not, of course, PC, but darn good pancakes.
those restaurants were around well into the seventies. most of them were bought out by denny's.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 AM

14,888 posts, read 9,976,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Uh........no you haven't. You are not Black, therefore that word means nothing to you. It means something to me.
Yes, I have. I'm well aware that I'm not black but that doesn't mean it's impossible for me to be insulted by racist hateful terms used against me.

Black people don't have that market cornered like you clearly believe they do.

Quote:
Nothing faux about it, and the only thing pathetic here is your lack of understanding and insight.
Of course it's 100% faux outrage, you can't tell me that you honestly give a damn what this old woman said a couple decades ago about people you don't know. You only "care" because you want to continue playing a victim card that ran out a long time ago.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,544,159 times
Word policing is now retroactive?

"has admitted using the N-word but said it was used many years ago, and said it is now a word she and her relatives no longer use."

""That's just not a word that we use as time has gone on," Deen said. "Things have changed since the '60s in the South. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.