Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 AM

319 posts, read 622,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
I disagree. Mexicans and Native Americans and original people all through South America share the same look, culture and even DNA according to Science Weekly. The divisions were created by mixing with their slaves and Europeans.

Latino is a made up word. The vast majority of Americas Latinos are Amerindian.In every region of the American continent South-central and Mexico. The people originally were very similar in religion and appearance to Native American tribes. Cubans and puerto ricans might have learned Spanish but they are mulatto, their taino bloodlines were almost exclusively wiped out and their mix consisted of slaves and European slave owners.

Just take a look at an apache and a taino and an aztec? what differences really are their?
You are so wrong!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,782,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Growing up in the Midwest in the 60's and 70's, we never really thought of Hispanic as a separate race, any more than Jewish or Italian. Spain is after all a European country. You could say we were thinking in terms of "white Hispanic" long before the NYT ever called George Zimmerman that. Hence a Hispanic-white marriage would not have been considered inter-racial where I came from.
I guess some people forget,but hispanic isn't a race.
A mexican and a german....same race,both white.

Let's see....Jennifer Lopez(white) marries Ben Affleck hypothetically.
Both seem white to me...why would I think that's an interacial marriage when I see 2 white people?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 AM

366 posts, read 642,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Agreed that Amerindians are pretty much the same across Latin america. but to say cuba is manly mulato is just plain false. acording to the 2002 census cuba is 65% white, 23% mulatto, 10% black, and 2% other.
Depends which census. In the one below 66% of Cuba was black. What we do know is that the it ranges between 33-62% black. Therefore it is a mulatto country. Unlike the Mexican and Central American regions that are Amerindian.

The population of Cuba has very complex origins and intermarriage between diverse groups is general. There is disagreement about racial statistics. The Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies at the University of Miami says that 62% is black,[180] whereas statistics from the Cuban census state that 65.05% of the population was white in 2002.
The Minority Rights Group International says that "An objective assessment of the situation of Afro-Cubans remains problematic due to scant records and a paucity of systematic studies both pre- and post-revolution. Estimates of the percentage of people of African descent in the Cuban population vary enormously, ranging from 33.9 per cent to 62 per cent".[181]

Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Both seem white to me...why would I think that's an interacial marriage when I see 2 white people?

Jennfier Lopez is white? LOL. Compared to whites in which European country?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
You are so wrong!

HOW SO? Where their Africans or Europeans on this continent before 1492? to this day in the entire region of Mexico to Peru almost all the people there are Amerindian. Same customs, same appearance and same art. Are their VAST differences in the art of Peru and Mexico?

Do Apaches and Mexicans differ in Appearance as greatly as whites and black or asian and whites? we are the same people seperated.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 AM

319 posts, read 622,077 times
Quote:

Jennifer lopez would be labeled mestizo in any latin American country.

Yet, in the U.S. she is labeled "white" hispanic.

The U.S. census is inaccurate. The same way millions of non-hispanic mestizos are labeled white by the u.s. census.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 AM

672 posts, read 807,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
The culture is America is a just a copycat of every culture that came here, so sorry to tell you this, but it's not a real culture if you are borrowing it from someone else. Actually, I think stealing would be a better word. Haha. So no they don't have a "unique" culture. Uniqueness implies that it is original and there is not no other like it, and that's not true if it came from other cultures right? There also is not an "official" language for this country either. While most speak English, many other Americans speak Spanish, French, heck I know someone that even speaks German!

Well that's good that you don't admire them, good for you. Your ancestors couldn't hack it so instead of fighting they left, and let me tell you, my ancestors, drinking **** and eating dead rats on board a ship over to America is not something that I would be proud of, let me tell you. And no they did not come over legally, they took and stole the land from the native americans, oh and from the mexicans, so I guess the illegal person here is well you? I don't really care about illegals, that's not me. My family came over here legally, and didn't steal land or kill anyone to do it. Can you say the same about your ancestors? I doubt it.

Btw, I figured that you are old and probably up there in age, you might do yourself a favor and brush up on your American History.
You had some good posts up until this one and then you became just as biased and ignorant as the posts you were trying to discredit.

Maybe you should brush up on your history. First off maybe you should investagete what happened to the Aztecs during the Spanish Conquest?

Does not bringing a culture from Spain, assimilating slaves, and adopting some native amount to stealing a culture for Mexico?

Then developing over time? Not the same principle?

You don't sound any less like a bigot while calling someone else one.
Quote:
Well, which would you rather be, spanish(blood of kings and conquerers) or British English(puritans and whiners that couldn't hack it in England)
You mind telling me what happen to large amount African slaves in Mexico? You want to deny that the Spanish didn't steal land, enslave them, brought their own slaves, murdered raped and destroyed a culture? Down south they did just as good a job annihilating the native people. But that was OK because "We have the blood of kings and conquerors"

What a bunch of BS and total contradiction between your posts.

After that, Mexico did a find job defining itself more European. Then as itself, Mexico. With all the class systems and bigotry other countries have seen at one time or another. It still seen today. Then we are going to state Mexicans didn't steal the land. Others stole it from them? That you have in entirely unique culture not melted together from others?

Hypocrite.

Mexico did a find job assimilating other cultures to call it their own. Almost all cultures, countries are guilty of the same. Nothing special. The US is just the baby on the block with only less than 300 years behind them.

Last edited by Dhult; 06-21-2013 at 03:03 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,555,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Agreed that Amerindians are pretty much the same across Latin america. but to say cuba is manly mulato is just plain false. acording to the 2002 census cuba is 65% white, 23% mulatto, 10% black, and 2% other.
Cuba is indeed mostly of African descent. At least 70 percent of the population is mulatto (any mix of African and European) or black (majority African). Like any other Latin American country, Cubans tend to self-identify as being whiter than they actually are. As for the Cubans in Miami, they are much whiter proportionally than are those in Cuba.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,555,614 times
Quote:

JLo is not white...

Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,319,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
JLo is not white...
Tough case. She would be "culturally" non-white. Genetically? Probably some taino back in the family tree. Maybe a black or mixed great grandma or grandpa.

J-Lo actually used to go tanning to keep her complexion darker than natural. Now after the birth of her kids she has stopped and she looks decidedly more pale.

Her dad:

Her mom:

Not quite as white as Cameron Diaz, Ricky Martin, and Aguilera... but certainly no Zoe Saldana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies