Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Interesting look at where the Citizens of this nation stand on this whole deal...

SurveyResults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Okay than apparently, every white in those countries moved to Florida. Ive been to Nicaragua, I am half Nicaraguan. I can tell you maybe 1% of that country is what we would consider white. 90% is mestizo 5% black.
Funnily enough, the two Nicaraguans I know from Miami personally are white. And, of the two Dominicans I know, one Dominican I know is white, and one I know is black.

Miami attracts whites from Latin America because they have all the money and power in Latin America. That's why Cubans are so disproportionate in Miami vs. the Island.... they owned everything that Castro was taking away, so they fled! Post-Mariel, a lot of mixed Cubans came over, but the establishment Cubans are white. Marco Rubio is a classic example of the "Spanish passport holding" type Cuban found in Miami and South Florida in general.

For example, the one Nicaraguan woman's family owns a bunch of land back in Nicaragua. She's a beautiful woman, but had trouble dating a Cuban guy whose mother did not want them to date because she was afraid they'd have "dark babies" if he married a Nicaraguan because that stereotype that there are a lot of black people in Nicaragua.

The Dominican white guy's family was in some kind of academia and government back in the Dominican. He has a French surname... which makes sense if any French fled the Haitian Revolution.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Interesting look at where the Citizens of this nation stand on this whole deal...

SurveyResults
Interesting if it had anything to do with the topic at hand at all. But it doesn't. So it's about as interesting as a mayonnaise sandwich on wonderbread.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
But your missing my point. white Hispanic marrying a white american is not inter racial. it's only a inter culteral marriage.
Agreed. Like an Italian from Italy marrying an Irish person from Ireland in Europe.

OTOH In the US; it wouldn't be anything "race" or "culture" since such a couple would be "American" especially if neither spoke Italian or Gaelic.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
in the American SW sure it's mestizo mixing with white Americans but in Florida 76% of Hispanics are white. so I don't think we should count Florida so high up there.
"Mestizo" can be messy too since a pasty skin Chicano who's mostly "white" ain't the same as a dark skin 1 of mostly Aztec family tho both are "Mexican" American.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Tough case. She would be "culturally" non-white. Genetically? Probably some taino back in the family tree. Maybe a black or mixed great grandma or grandpa.

J-Lo actually used to go tanning to keep her complexion darker than natural. Now after the birth of her kids she has stopped and she looks decidedly more pale.

Her dad:

Her mom:

Not quite as white as Cameron Diaz, Ricky Martin, and Aguilera... but certainly no Zoe Saldana.
I would say she is substantially Spanish with definite African and Taino as well. Not a white girl. She doesn't have a European physiognomy at all......gracias a Dios.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Funnily enough, the two Nicaraguans I know from Miami personally are white. And, of the two Dominicans I know, one Dominican I know is white, and one I know is black.

Miami attracts whites from Latin America because they have all the money and power in Latin America. That's why Cubans are so disproportionate in Miami vs. the Island.... they owned everything that Castro was taking away, so they fled! Post-Mariel, a lot of mixed Cubans came over, but the establishment Cubans are white. Marco Rubio is a classic example of the "Spanish passport holding" type Cuban found in Miami and South Florida in general.
That's exactly right. Miami's Latin population is among the whitest Latin population in this country, and tends to come from the white elites of the Caribbean, Central and South America.

Quote:
For example, the one Nicaraguan woman's family owns a bunch of land back in Nicaragua. She's a beautiful woman, but had trouble dating a Cuban guy whose mother did not want them to date because she was afraid they'd have "dark babies" if he married a Nicaraguan because that stereotype that there are a lot of black people in Nicaragua.
N-----agua.........

The ironic thing is that the Cuban woman probably had some "dark babies" in her bloodline. Why do Cubans like three-story houses?

Quote:
The Dominican white guy's family was in some kind of academia and government back in the Dominican. He has a French surname... which makes sense if any French fled the Haitian Revolution.

Lots of Dominicans and Cubans come from French who fled Haiti.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
I didn't assume they were different races. I believe they are the same race and that the unions aret interracial when a white-hispanic and a white hook up. I merely suggested that the vast majority of interracial white/Latinos DID NOT involve white Hispanics like you are implying.

The vast majority of Hispanics in America are mestizos from the middle America region of Central America and Mexico. To imply that they are white is not true. To imply that white/Latino is not interracial is also not true.

I doubt even 10% of all Latinos in USA are white Latinos. But we will never know. Venezuela and Chile and Argentina are unique in that the majority of their native population died. The people of that land are European colonizers. In all essence not Hispanic, Latino, mestizo but white.

Immigration from those (3) latin American countries is LOW. The represent small pops of the total Latino population of which majority is Mestizo and on the East Coast , black mulattoes.

In America the Latino interracial marriage numbers are Mestizo/White in the Southwest and mainlyin the states of Texas-California.

This isnt an imply, this is a fact. This is interracial.
I used to work at a Mid-Atlantic hospital in a heavily Hispanic neighborhood mostly of illegals with apparently more Indian heritage. Our bad debts had exploded and we wanted to see why. So we asked for demographic profile. What we saw was shocking, evidently are hospital in a heavily Hispanic neighborhood was only attracting less than 1% of Hispanics. This of course flew in the face of what we saw at the hospital day to day. After some digging turns out these "new Anericans without documents" considered themselves White. I'm sure as the get plugged into the American racial matrix they may change their self identification.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's exactly right. Miami's Latin population is among the whitest Latin population in this country, and tends to come from the white elites of the Caribbean, Central and South America.

N-----agua.........

The ironic thing is that the Cuban woman probably had some "dark babies" in her bloodline. Why do Cubans like three-story houses?

Lots of Dominicans and Cubans come from French who fled Haiti.
I guess it's possible but during the Haitian revolution Spain was actually helping the Blacks so not sure it would be destination for fleeing Frenchmen. I think most fled to French held Louisiana

My understanding is that the Haitian (also Jamaican) migration to Cuba was relatively recent, before Castro and they went there to work the sugar plantations. I had a business school classmate who was Black and her parents are from Cuba but her father was originally from Jamaica. What was interesting about her is her parents purposely kept her away from African-Americans. She used to be visibility uncomfortable in large Black settings.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
The culture is America is a just a copycat of every culture that came here, so sorry to tell you this, but it's not a real culture if you are borrowing it from someone else. Actually, I think stealing would be a better word. Haha. So no they don't have a "unique" culture. Uniqueness implies that it is original and there is not no other like it, and that's not true if it came from other cultures right? There also is not an "official" language for this country either. While most speak English, many other Americans speak Spanish, French, heck I know someone that even speaks German!

Well that's good that you don't admire them, good for you. Your ancestors couldn't hack it so instead of fighting they left, and let me tell you, my ancestors, drinking **** and eating dead rats on board a ship over to America is not something that I would be proud of, let me tell you. And no they did not come over legally, they took and stole the land from the native americans, oh and from the mexicans, so I guess the illegal person here is well you? I don't really care about illegals, that's not me. My family came over here legally, and didn't steal land or kill anyone to do it. Can you say the same about your ancestors? I doubt it.

Btw, I figured that you are old and probably up there in age, you might do yourself a favor and brush up on your American History.
Sorry, but you are wrong as I said "Out of many, ONE". The "one" is our own unique American culture no matter how many times you try to deny it. I never said that English was our "official" language but even congress has declared it our national de facto language and always has been. All the other languages spoken in this country are just minority languages and none of them are our identifying one.

I couldn't care less what my ancestors did or didn't do and their reasons for doing so. I am not them and they aren't me. They are all dead now. However, my ancestors came here through Ellis Island well after any conflicts with the so-called natives (who also migrated here from somewhere else).

The past does not justify illegal immigration into our country today. Sorry but anyone born here is not an illegal no matter how you try to spin it. We are a soveirgn nation with internationally recognized borders and have been for hundreds of years now. Every country has borders and immigration laws.

Perhaps it is you that needs to brush up on our history and while you're at it brush up on our immigration laws also and why we have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies