Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Aren't Cubans of mixed race? They are only partially white from their Spanish ancestors. This all reminds me of the claims that Obama is just black when he isn't. He is of mixed race white/black.

Cubans are of mixed race the way Americans are of mixed race.

Some are mixed. Some are black, some are white.

In the United States, you'll find more white Cubans.

On the Island, you'll find more mixed and black.

A source of pride for many Cubans is if they can trace back directly to Spain, and get Spanish citizenship/passports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:30 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
You had some good posts up until this one and then you became just as biased and ignorant as the posts you were trying to discredit.

Maybe you should brush up on your history. First off maybe you should investagete what happened to the Aztecs during the Spanish Conquest?

Does not bringing a culture from Spain, assimilating slaves, and adopting some native amount to stealing a culture for Mexico?

Then developing over time? Not the same principle?

You don't sound any less like a bigot while calling someone else one.
You mind telling me what happen to large amount African slaves in Mexico? You want to deny that the Spanish didn't steal land, enslave them, brought their own slaves, murdered raped and destroyed a culture? Down south they did just as good a job annihilating the native people. But that was OK because "We have the blood of kings and conquerors"

What a bunch of BS and total contradiction between your posts.

After that, Mexico did a find job defining itself more European. Then as itself, Mexico. With all the class systems and bigotry other countries have seen at one time or another. It still seen today. Then we are going to state Mexicans didn't steal the land. Others stole it from them? That you have in entirely unique culture not melted together from others?

Hypocrite.

Mexico did a find job assimilating other cultures to call it their own. Almost all cultures, countries are guilty of the same. Nothing special. The US is just the baby on the block with only less than 300 years behind them.
This !

Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM

199 posts, read 160,954 times
Quote:
Why are you doing this? Why the snarky comments? Is this really necessary? I do have more in common with my fellow black Americans than I do with Hispanics. Why is this a big question to you? Are you calling me a liar? I suggest you knock this off.

Or what ? you'll whine to the mods like you always do ?

Truth is we have nothing in common with non blacks. Regardless of nationality I might add. Accept it and move on.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:00 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I guess it's possible but during the Haitian revolution Spain was actually helping the Blacks so not sure it would be destination for fleeing Frenchmen. I think most fled to French held Louisiana
I myself am descended from French and mulattoes who moved from Haiti to Cuba after the 1804 revolution. My French/mulatre/Haitian/Cuban grandfather then moved to New Orleans last century. I do believe many of the French moved to New Orleans and environs after the Haitian revolution, but many moved to Cuba; the eastern tip is really close to Haiti.

Quote:
My understanding is that the Haitian (also Jamaican) migration to Cuba was relatively recent, before Castro and they went there to work the sugar plantations.
The East of Cuba (Guantanamo, Santiago, Baracoa, Las Tunas) as well as Camaguey have always been home to colonies of white French and black Haitians. The migration began in earnest after the turn of the last century; there have also been movements of sugar-cane-cutting Jamaicans, Bahamians and other West Indians into and out of Cuba especially during and after World War II. Look at any Cuban Olympic team (especially boxing, track, wrestling, judo, volleyball, basketball) and you'll see a ton of Afro-Cubans with English, Irish and French surnames.

Quote:
I had a business school classmate who was Black and her parents are from Cuba but her father was originally from Jamaica. What was interesting about her is her parents purposely kept her away from African-Americans. She used to be visibility uncomfortable in large Black settings.
I know a lot of Cubans, Dominicans and other Afro-Latinos who are a lot like that.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
There is no mulatto or mestizo category on the census. Therefore many Spanish speakers just check white for race. I don't know why they don't just check other.
Many Hispanics/Latinos prefer to be seen as white - even if they're the only ones who can see themselves that way.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
"White" in Latin America is usually like "black" in the United States. By that I mean where a "black person" in the U.S. could be near white looking, a white person in Latin America can be too swarthy or brownish to be considered white in the USofA.

Take Reverend Wright who was President Obama's former Protestant pastor. He's regarded as black in the United States by both blacks and whites. But Brazilians say they regard him as white.

I have three nephews, two of which are biologically related to me, and of the two biological brothers one could pass for either a very dark skin Sicilian or a slightly darker complexion of J-Lo. The other one is whiter in complexion than some "whites" not to mention he was born blond (the other with dark hair).

Their grandfather--my father--is black. Their father--my brother--is mulatto. Their grandmother--my mother--is white. Their mother--my sister-in-law--is white. This is a more new phenomenon in the U.S. but is an old and not uncommon familial situation in Latin America.

I remember a dark skinned Mestizo from Colombia showing me a family photograph. He had in his own family in the photo--literally--people that were clearly dark mestizos, mulattoes, blacks, and whites. I didn't see any Asians though.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
Or what ? you'll whine to the mods like you always do ?

Truth is we have nothing in common with non blacks. Regardless of nationality I might add. Accept it and move on.
So expecting a poster to follow the rules of the TOS is whining? Really?

Perhaps you should speak for yourself and not me and move on yourself.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
So expecting a poster to follow the rules of the TOS is whining? Really?

Perhaps you should speak for yourself and not me and move on yourself.
(sniffling)

Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
"White" in Latin America is usually like "black" in the United States. By that I mean where a "black person" in the U.S. could be near white looking, a white person in Latin America can be too swarthy or brownish to be considered white in the USofA.

Take Reverend Wright who was President Obama's former Protestant pastor. He's regarded as black in the United States by both blacks and whites. But Brazilians say they regard him as white.

I have three nephews, two of which are biologically related to me, and of the two biological brothers one could pass for either a very dark skin Sicilian or a slightly darker complexion of J-Lo. The other one is whiter in complexion than some "whites" not to mention he was born blond (the other with dark hair).

Their grandfather--my father--is black. Their father--my brother--is mulatto. Their grandmother--my mother--is white. Their mother--my sister-in-law--is white. This is a more new phenomenon in the U.S. but is an old and not uncommon familial situation in Latin America.

I remember a dark skinned Mestizo from Colombia showing me a family photograph. He had in his own family in the photo--literally--people that were clearly dark mestizos, mulattoes, blacks, and whites. I didn't see any Asians though.
Race is about genetics not skin color so I don't know where you are coming from with this. A racially black person can be very light skinned. A racially white person can have darker skin. Learn to know the difference between race and skin color. They aren't necessarily a one size fits all.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
gringos & latinos have more in common and more similar mindset than any other combinations...

MY Fiancee was born in Brasil but her dad was German and her mom's father was german.
even though she is 3/4 german blooded, shes Brasilian thru and thru..

I suspect this is a common theme w/a lot of people w/Latin heritage...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies