Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Taken to its logical extreme the RW belief is you have to be able to buy your right to live. Anyone without money or the willingness to earn some no matter what it takes such as slavery should be killed or at least allowed to die. In effect those that cannot serve Mammon have no right to live.

In their world government spending on health care for the indigent reduces the amount of money spent defending elite investors in the Middle East or anywhere else. Protecting their investment from any risk is far more important than providing medical care to people that, even if they are middle class people, cannot afford it. After all shouldn’t wealth have it privilege? To them medical care is a privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I would be surprised to see a 90-year-old getting those, it's not even medically safe to my knowledge.
As a therapist working in nursing home rehabs, I can tell you it happens all the time. Last year one of our residents who was 97 was sent to the hospital with a compression fracture, and they actually did major surgery on her. I was appalled as compression fractures can heal without surgery, and you don't just put 97 year olds under general anesthethia unless it's absolutely necessary. So she came back confused and in agonizing pain, lingered for 3 miserable weeks before passing away. Bill from hospital to Medicare was probably $100,000 or more as she was in ICU for a couple of weeks after the surgery.

Re: the trasnplabt list, there are so many people waiting, they had to have some kind of dividing line between children and adults, and based the age they set at the time (12) as the minimum age that could recieve adult lungs on studies that showed they are not always effective in younger kids. They changed it right away for that little girl, though. We can all help with this situation by just signing our licenses to be donors.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Can I get a job on the death panel?
You're too late. Seats on the local death panels were handed out as part of the 2009 inauguration goodie bag - together with the autographed special-edition single-volume print of the Koran/Das Kapital, the booklet of abortion vouchers and the 24-karat Obamaphone. I signed my slot over to the cat, though - don't get sick around here, would be my suggestion.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Depends on how old grandpa is. Medicaid kept this one guy alive for two years that had no quality of life. In fact he didn't respond to anything. But the kids kept praying for a miracle and wouldn't allow him to be disconnected. Finally the hospital wrote an order not to treat any new conditions. They couldn't let "just die" but they could refuse to treat say pneumonia.

I think the bill was up to 2.5 million for one person. 100% paid by Medicare and Medicaid.

I'm trying to remember the name of the show. I'm pretty sure it was on ABC.
Actually the hospital itself is not allowed to do that. But whoever his power of attorney is probably finally signed "do not hospitalize" order for him. All patients and family members can do this, but many are afraid, feel guilty, etc. As far as I'm concerned, there does need to be more assistance for patients and family members to figure out end of life issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies