Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,068,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
Let me ask another question. Do you notice there is a difference between a normal African American family and a black individual married to an individual of another race? This isn't always the case, but majority of time the interracial couple/family is more well off then the AA family. Why is this? I believe because the latter is typically more educated and makes knowledgeable decisions on life and family from what I have seen.

Comments?
I don't see it, and I'm in an interracial marriage. I've noticed no difference.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,284,152 times
Quote:
Let me ask another question. Do you notice there is a difference between a normal African American family and a black individual married to an individual of another race? This isn't always the case, but majority of time the interracial couple/family is more well off then the AA family. Why is this? I believe because the latter is typically more educated and makes knowledgeable decisions on life and family from what I have seen.

Comments?

That would depend on the background of the individual and the support system that they have, ethnicity has nothing to do with it. If a financial suave blackman marries a barely literate whitewoman does they still do well financially?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 PM

298 posts, read 380,561 times
To me, this is a rather silly question. If a whole entire race was only able to sit at the back of the bus or swim at some hole with dirty water as opposed to the public pool or drink at a separate drinking fountain, what did you think was going to happen? When members of this race moved up north, they couldn't buy houses in certain neighborhoods and people of other races would throw rocks through their windows when they moved in.

Did you think that between 1776 and 1968 said race was going to start a bunch of businesses with all the money the banks were willing to lend them? The way I see it, America has been what it set out to be for less than 60 years.

I'm not saying we shouldn't all move forward together. I encounter high schoolers on a day to day basis and I thank the heavens that racism wanes a bit with every generation. With that said, let's not marginalize the horrific atrocities of the past.

DesertDetroiter, I loved your post a few pages back about how it's an American thing to be in debt today. Our addiction to consumerism does not stereotype. It covers all races of young people.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM

164 posts, read 265,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That would depend on the background of the individual and the support system that they have, ethnicity has nothing to do with it. If a financial suave blackman marries a barely literate whitewoman does they still do well financially?
Agreed. However, from what I have seen the financial suave individual will typically look for another educated individual. Now from what reading what others have posted and looking through a few demographics...the chances the other individual will be black are slim. This is not saying the White or Asian man or woman will be educated, but there is a greater chance.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,284,152 times
Quote:
Agreed. However, from what I have seen the financial suave individual will typically look for another educated individual. Now from what reading what others have posted and looking through a few demographics...the chances the other individual will be black are slim. This is not saying the White or Asian man or woman will be educated, but there is a greater chance.
True, and that depends highly on the financial education of the parents and rather they past that information down to their children. The vast majority of middle and lower income blacks do not have the financial education passed down to them. Some may learn it later in life but many only learn to save but never how to invest. I believe this is not taught in certain schools for a reason.

Blacks throughout history have learned to make-due to what they already have as opposed to investing. In slavery they took the castaway parts of the pig and they made chitterlings.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,375,488 times
"Why African Americans typically have no wealth." What a silly question. What are the odds that you can make money rapping, singing hop pop, or playing basketball? The odds are astronomical. How are you going to develop wealth with those types of odds?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,463,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I commend you for your acheivements but what I was talking about had nothing to do with the field that you chose as a profession.
You might have misunderstood me. I did not go into finance or real estate. I kick myself all the time for starting college super late and not going into something like real estate. H_ll, I had no idea such a program existed locally LOL.

At any rate, I'm a nobody, just keeping my head above the water. What I'm in college for may or may not translate into money afterwards. Likely not, unless I went on for further schooling. But I'll have the degree. Which is more symbolic and just a small goal. Better than only getting a felony [shrug].

Quote:
Blacks as a whole have been always "directed" into fields that will get you to a certain level of living, but the majority of us were never taught how to acheive true wealth except through sports or entertainment. Certain crime stemmed from desparation and fraustration from the ability to find substainable work to support a family of a percieved lifestyle. I know alot youngmen and women that had decent jobs that did not pay enough when something like illness or death happened and they sold drugs to supplement their income. Some did it enough for them to pay those bills and quit and here were some that quit their real jobs and did it full time because of the amount and ease of the money that was available.
@ bold in blue: Yeah, I totally agree.

This is where you see the Asian "Tiger Moms" and the Jewish parents in Europe and the U.S. guiding their children through what they will study in college. They usually don't let them take just anything. They push them into majors and graduate studies that they can make big bucks in afterwards.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,463,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
IQ is definitely a factor especially in our economy today.
The ones that started the fuel fraud were ethnic Jews from Russia. Then non-Jewish Russian mobsters got in on the action. Bearing in mind many Russian mobsters had Ph.D.'s in things like nuclear physics. When the Soviet Union collapsed all these well educated and brilliant minds were without work. They came to the United States--and because our educated class protect their jobs by not recognizing a lot of other degrees from other nations--they ended up doing jobs in New York City like busing tables.

Eventually New York's Italian mafia leaned on them and got a cut of the hustle. The NYC mob outnumbered and out gunned them. You don't need to many brains when you can threaten violence and back it up.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,068,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
"Why African Americans typically have no wealth." What a silly question. What are the odds that you can make money rapping, singing hop pop, or playing basketball? The odds are astronomical. How are you going to develop wealth with those types of odds?
If that's the case, why don't you have some wealth?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,541,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Calling what Coates spews as knowledge is funny.
It's actually simple, in this case. Coates has years of research, delving into studies, well-sourced books, and his own journalism.

You have...one-liners.

Advantage, Coates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies