Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Most of the time it is called having good credit and a low debt ratio.
...Which is why it is so very civilized for employers to refuse to employ people who have been unemployed and/or who have damaged credit. So very logical and humane.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
...Which is why it is so very civilized for employers to refuse to employ people who have been unemployed and/or who have damaged credit. So very logical and humane.
It makes as about much sense as drug testing for a janitor

Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Privilege - The black population much like early immigrants to America did not have the same privileges as those who were established and who held and controlled the wealth..This exists and still exists even among white people. Those who are the grand and elite establishment go out of their way to deny privilege to anyone they could in order to maintain power...The Irish for instance were kept in poverty by Americans who hailed from British origin- There is such a thing as systemic denial of privilege.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 AM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
so why do the kids have to suffer for their parents' sins?
Answering this based on a spiritual viewpoint of the ancient Hebrews:

One can not pass through this world without enduring pain and suffering. The perfect world that was originally created was corrupted by man's sin. The more sin unleashed on the world - by not understanding or purposly violating Hebrew spiritual principles - the more pain and suffering is unleashed creating a vicious cycle of sin and suffering that can only really be broken by grace through prayer.

The second commandment explicitly warns that the sins of the parents will be visited on the children for three or four generations. (later, it is revealed that repentence and prayer can lift away these iniquities upon children)

Exo 20:4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 AM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Privilege - The black population much like early immigrants to America did not have the same privileges as those who were established and who held and controlled the wealth..This exists and still exists even among white people. Those who are the grand and elite establishment go out of their way to deny privilege to anyone they could in order to maintain power...The Irish for instance were kept in poverty by Americans who hailed from British origin- There is such a thing as systemic denial of privilege.
And the Irish are impoverished now? British that arrived here first to settle, weren't establishment, but rather impoverished (and often indentured servants) or were persecuted for their religious beliefs. Immigrants from Europe came because of opportunity - the ability to own their own land, house, business or - which was often nearly impossible in much of Europe as well as religious reasons.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where I live people making 80k can only afford a 1 bedroom condo. That one bedroom condo is about $250k in a decent area.

Burger flippers can't afford to buy in the hood at all. It still costs 200k.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

I consider condos to be inherently risky, which is not what a prudent burger flipper wants. Condos are risky because you have no control over any of the other condos in your development, and lenders won't lend money on a condo unless a majority of all the condos in the development are owner-occupied.

If your development goes majority rental, you will find your condo marketable only to investors who will happily strip you of your equity if you ever need to sell.

If your single-family subdivision goes rental, lenders will still lend to qualified applicants and your home will remain marketable to owner-occupants.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:21 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
IMO The similarities between a labor based economy (slavery) and one were capital (money) was valued over labor, is they both still need people who were never going build capital. Just as the slave never reaped the benefits of his labor, we have an economic system dependent on workers who can't save money.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
And the Irish are impoverished now? British that arrived here first to settle, weren't establishment, but rather impoverished (and often indentured servants) or were persecuted for their religious beliefs. Immigrants from Europe came because of opportunity - the ability to own their own land, house, business or - which was often nearly impossible in much of Europe as well as religious reasons.
What do they all have in common??? They have white skin. Your point falls flat.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 6,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Good question!

I am black guy and grew up in a somewhat poor community. There are some disadvantages but more in lack of positive role models. Most young black kids are raised in single family homes where the mom struggles and the school are filled with negativity and gang related kids. Also, the mom is most likely uneducated, so education does not become important as for a wealthy family who knows the benefit of education.

In short, its all about lack of education involving career goals, finance, HARDWORK, HARDWORK, planning, decision making, and avoiding public opinion.

I am 33 now and had to learn these things the hard way about fiance, but I was ambition enough to earn my engineering degree by 25 years old, after some delay from messing around now being serious.

If I can pick one reason most blacks are not wealthy, its education (knowing exactly what to do gain wealth)
Fantastic answer!!

Just to expound, a lot of African Americans fall victim to their surroundings. When you grow up and see nothing but negative behavior around you, and are never exposed to anything else, it's very easy to believe that there's nothing else out there for you. It becomes an endless circle that 's hard to break.

That's why there's such a need for more positive examples of family in the black community. Family is the route of it all. These young black people have no stability and no support at home to carry them out of these "rough" environments.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
IMO The similarities between a labor based economy (slavery) and one were capital (money) was valued over labor, is they both still need people who were never going build capital. Just as the slave never reaped the benefits of his labor, we have an economic system dependent on workers who can't save money.
Correct! You are keeping those in the same class (worker bees) with no real chance of improving to the next class. Because you cannot have an upper class without those on the bottom to do the actual work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies