Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0001 View Post
Key word here another white person, blinded by their many privileges. I do not believe it is impossible to succeed as a black but you better believe there are much more obstacles and it is harder to overcome than most other races face whether it from society, finance, education, job opportunities, resources and other things. I know because I have lived it and it is what it is but I continue to fight against it on a daily basis.
I believe you, but I think the worst aspects are the ones that are self imposed. This is certainly not unique to blacks, but I see way too much blaming of forces "out there" and little or no looking in the mirror at self destructive behaviors. When a white person says it, it's "white privilege". When a black person like Bill Cosby says it, he's an "Uncle Tom" or "white". I mean....it just seems there is blacks in general, especially their spokespeople like Jesse Jackson, will not admit to any kind of self created internal problems whatsoever.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Maybe I should share this take in the Trayvon Martin case.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...445953104.html

In case some of you haven't noticed. Many if you are writing black kids off before we get started.

And this video us good as well.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/martin-bashir/46884841

Let's not forget, not long ago we elected a president that by all accounts was a screw up growing up.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Renting does not create wealth for the tenant. And even today, middle class blacks disproportionately rent their homes. Much of the "culture of renting" can be traced to the rampant discrimination following WWII.
While I'll concede a culture of home ownership is an advantage....I've been a lifelong renter and I still have significant wealth in terms of stock/bond ownership through mutual funds. I think this is where the issue of financial literacy comes in....a lot of folks really do not even know what a mutual fund is...so you are not likely to invest in one if you don't even know what one is.

Of course, financial literacy can also be a cultural value. The example of Jews has been brought up. They tend to be very financially literate and open about money. (Of course, there are exceptions....I have a Jewish friend who is a great earner but who's clueless about investing.) Some cultures seem to stress the importance of having savings and avoiding behaviors that prevent one from doing well financially (such as having kids without being married, etc.). African Americans just don't seem to stress this stuff as much...I find it frustrating. I don't like to see people struggle....but you can't make people change their values/behaviors.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
A hire rate lower than that of white felons probably doesn't help anything.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:33 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Quote:
Let's not forget, not long ago we elected a president that by all accounts was a screw up growing up.
Good point! We certainly don't want more screw-ups getting to the point of being able to screw up a whole nation instead of just their own lives!o

Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Where in the hell are you getting this After School Special" crap from? Studious black kids are teased just like white kids, but I have never heard my son ever be accused of acting white. Considering that he got better grades than most of the whites in his class. The only time that I ever heard anyone being called that is on television in the 70's. Even when I went to school and was a solid two years ahead of my peers (I transfered from a Catholic School) in public school I was never accused of "acting white" and I had glasses and spoke proper english. I will admit that when I visited my cousins in D.C they said that I "sounded like a white boy" and that was due to geographical differences and they were 6 and 7 years old.
You're story is different than mine. I transferred from Catholic School to public school outside of DC and was accused of acting White. I will say it wasn't some ongoing thing but it was there.

At any rate "acting white" has been confirmed by folks who study education academics.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You're story is different than mine. I transferred from Catholic School to public school outside of DC and was accused of acting White. I will say it wasn't some ongoing thing but it was there.

At any rate "acting white" has been confirmed by folks who study education academics.

I think the term "acting white" may entail something more than educational prowness. Kids may teased someone about acting white and it has nothing to do with education but more about mannerisms and beliefs than anything else. If you are not familiar with things that are common to that group of people you would be considered to be an outsider, which in some black circles is white

Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
There are several reasons. I'll try to sum them up as short as possible.

1. Blacks have been competing on equal ground with the dominant majority for about 40-50 years now. So pretty much 1-2 generations. I think most would agree that 50 years is not enough time for 2 generations to amass large amounts of wealth.
Large amounts of wealth is not the issue here. Why does the average black household have almost no savings at all? A person with an average job could easily put away more in 1-2 years, let alone 1-2 generations.

Quote:
2. Poorer blacks have been offered too many incentives not too work.
Agreed, but most black people do work. Why don't they save?

Quote:
3. There is a lack of positive role models in poorer black communities.
Poor people have no money to put away. That is understable, but why don't middle class blacks save?

Quote:
5. There is no "lazy race".
Agreed. Lots of black people work hard. Why don't they save?

Quote:
6. There is a reason that there seems to be a desire for flashy cars, clothes,
and jewelry in the black community (even though this really isn't true, most
middle and upper class black people live "ordinarily"). It's because those items
signify status.
In Northern New England, where I'm from, few people care about that kind of flashy status. On average, black people seem to care a lot more. Why is bling so important in the black community?

Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
While I'll concede a culture of home ownership is an advantage....I've been a lifelong renter and I still have significant wealth in terms of stock/bond ownership through mutual funds. I think this is where the issue of financial literacy comes in....a lot of folks really do not even know what a mutual fund is...so you are not likely to invest in one if you don't even know what one is.

Of course, financial literacy can also be a cultural value. The example of Jews has been brought up. They tend to be very financially literate and open about money. (Of course, there are exceptions....I have a Jewish friend who is a great earner but who's clueless about investing.) Some cultures seem to stress the importance of having savings and avoiding behaviors that prevent one from doing well financially (such as having kids without being married, etc.). African Americans just don't seem to stress this stuff as much...I find it frustrating. I don't like to see people struggle....but you can't make people change their values/behaviors.

You make valid points, but what you miss is the fact that financial intelligence has to be taught and if you are not taught by your parents and they were not taught by theirs the only way that you MIGHT learn is through personal hardship. The majority of black americans were never taught how to manage money historically and when some grasped the concept of savings many of them knew nothing of investing. There are still some secrets that the wealthy keep for themselves and pass that information down through the generations. I can also say that it is not that black americans don't stress saving or investing, it is just many of them do not have enough money to do so.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Large amounts of wealth is not the issue here. Why does the average black household have almost no savings at all? A person with an average job could easily put away more in 1-2 years, let alone 1-2 generations.

That requires sacrifices that many people do not want to do without, such as cable, computer and a cell phone.

Agreed, but most black people do work. Why don't they save?

Many people not just blacks live to the weekends to party, this is very common with the young of all groups

Poor people have no money to put away. That is understable, but why don't middle class blacks save?

What makes you think that they don't? Why does the white middle class try to live above their means? This obviously does not apply to everyone

Agreed. Lots of black people work hard. Why don't they save?

Again, depending on how much expendable income that is left over and that particuliar mindset of the person

In Northern New England, where I'm from, few people care about that kind of flashy status. On average, black people seem to care a lot more. Why is bling so important in the black community?
Blacks are no different then Mrs Smith getting a fur coat because her neighbor has one. It is all about appearances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies