Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Like I said urbanisation leads to more consumption so it's counter-productive as far as improving the situation of depleting resources. The other things are helping but not as quickly as was once hoped.
The resources are going to deplete anyway, reducing population only will give us an extra few years. Better just prepare for them to be scarce.

We don't actually have to have gasoline cars. It is just as possible to use public transport, electric motorbikes, and electric cars. But we got to prepare for it. One thing I would suggest is to improve public transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

20,717 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
While I don't think the world is overpopulated quite yet, a billion people are being added every 12-14 years and there's little reason to think this will change for a long time. The population growth rate isn't shrinking as slowly as was once believed. It's no longer exponential growth but it's still robust linear growth. In terms of absolute numbers the world's population isn't growing any more slowly because even though fertility is down the total number of people is up.

I see no humane way to slow down the growth. I think unfortunately we will just have to adapt to overpopulation by consuming less and getting more serious about colonizing space. The only way to actually curb the population growth would be by stripping people of their basic human rights and killing and forcibly sterilizing people en masse.
When did they do that in Europe and Japan, or for that matter the native US population?

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true at all.

For example, in the USA, we pay people to have babies. We could easily stop that practice and you would see a decrease in birth rates.

There are many other ways to discourage high birth rates around the world. Most involve financial incentives.
Exactly and I totally agree! It is mostly our country that seems to be the welfare country for people who don't breed responsibly by making sure they can care for their own kids but expect our government to do it instead because they know they will.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Anyone that thinks an Asprin tablet held between a girl's knees will stop sex has very little experience with either Asprin or sex.
You can't stop people from having sex but they should take responsibility for the resulting pregnancies themselves and that means providing for them themselves.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:16 PM

20,717 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I think that if we humans can't get a handle on our population growth, nature will. And it won't be pretty.

I also see the economic malaise as being a symptom of overpopulation. There are far more people than there are suitable places for many of them in the world economy.
Has nothing to do with population. It has to do with human bio-diversity. And the economic malaise has nothing to do with over population unless you mean industrial gluts caused by too much abundance. That is the better of the Malthusian theory in this case.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Why do people pretend overpopulation is a global problem? It is not a global problem, it is a local problem. It is the countries who are overpopulated who will suffer. Self sufficient countries won't have any problems with food shortages. But what about pollution, and oil. But how much difference will it make if we are 9B people or 10B people. Not much at all.

Its a only a few countries that have out of control populations. We have Afghanistan, Yemen, Nigeria and a few more. They still have high fertility rates and a out of control population. Also while Bangladesh has reduced its fertility rate its base population is way too high. It is those countries that are likely to struggle in the future due to overpopulation. Those are countries that are dependent on food exports from abroad to survive and will not be able to increase farm output. When food export prices increase, then a lot of them will starve.

What is the solution? Right now we should recommend them to reduce their fertility rate. If they choose to do nothing, then let them sink and have proper border control. US won't be affected by this as Mexico fertility rate is low. But Europe need to step up.
Those coming here from Mexico do produce more babies than they would in their country because they know our government will provide for them. Thus it is a problem to the U.S.

I don't understand this reference to fertility rates. Most humans are fertile. It's a matter of using birth control.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not a Malthusian. While I believe overpopulation will become a problem I don't think we should try to curb the population because like I said it's impossible to do such a thing humanely. I think we are just going to have to find a way to deal with accommodating more people. We did it with the Green Revolution and I have some hope we can do it again.
Why should we accommodate more people? We already have a shortage of jobs and resources in this country and our government aka the taxpayer is going broke supporting the poor.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:22 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Most of the people that are regular contributors in this forum do not even have a clue about what is really happening in the world. They tune into MSM propaganda or read some useless newspaper or magazine.

Your best friend for information on why things are how they are today is in History books. History does repeat itself and I do believe a world war is in the near future. In the 20th century up until 1975 an estimated 100 million people were killed in the world due to wars. So to date I would say we added a whole lot more.

We do not have enough resources to sustain many more people, especially with the developing nations starting to have more people drive. Why do you think crude oil is so high, the easy to get oil is gone, now they have to spend more just to get it. I know the talking heads on FOX told you we have a 100 years of oil here in our own nation but sorry, it's not true. Find someone who works in the oil industry or retired from it and see if they will give you a little insight into the truth about existing oil supplies and how costly it is to retrieve it. And this world, especially America needs oil to keep the lifestyle we all want and keep it running.

They will solve overpopulation, probably by reading the Nazi playbook and using modern technology to improve on it.

Turn the TV off and get a history book. I bet a lot of people on here just might get hooked.

Your first book that I recommend and it's real short so I know most of you can handle that is, The Cunning of History By Richard L. Rubenstien. It will answer some questions for you on population control.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
ARe you crazy I frankly feel the usa is under populated. until we have as many people as china let's keep have in families of 8!!!
I hope you were being sarcastic.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Those coming here from Mexico do produce more babies than they would in their country because they know our government will provide for them. Thus it is a problem to the U.S.

I don't understand this reference to fertility rates. Most humans are fertile. It's a matter of using birth control.
Fertility rates are not the number of people fertile, but is the average number of children women get in their lifetime.

Its dropping in the US as well. Remember that 2.1 is replacement fertility.

Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies