Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
It's sickening to see the lengths that liberals will go to in defending this government's abuse of the citizenry. I hope that some day your brown shirt thuggery bites you on the ass. HARD!
Government's abuse of the citizenry? A group has no right to be tax-exempt and donors to political groups have no right to be anonymous, unless the group falls within those specified in the IRS Code, which imposes limits on political activities in order to qualify for tax-exempt status.

Let's put this another way, fully political groups aren't allowed to be tax-exempt, so the IRS has no duty to approve these groups and subsidize them with tax-payer money. That's not an abuse, that's the intent of the law.

However, according to some, enforcing the law is "abuse of the citizenry."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why did the IRS stop targeting the liberal groups in May of 2012, but not the conservative ones?
There is nothing to show that any liberal groups were ever targeted. I have no idea why this idea is still being promoted.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM

Another IRS official pleads the 5th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=CqAt5itCwUA

Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Way to avoid the question. I want to know why this policy was enacted at the IRS and by who. When did I mention Obama? I'll give you a hint. Never.

The IRS should never be used to punish one political group over another. This is a fundamental truth. I want to know why they did not follow this law. That's a pretty legitimate issue.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
These aren't scandals. Issa isn't interested in nailing civil servants in the IRS. His target is the President. Disappointing for him is that nothing leads to the President.
So, why plead the fifth? It's there to keep one from incriminating themselves.

If they are pure and free of guilt, why not tell everything that proves that innocence?

Who then are these people protecting? Themselves? And from whom?

Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
So, why plead the fifth? It's there to keep one from incriminating themselves.

If they are pure and free of guilt, why not tell everything that proves that innocence?

Who then are these people protecting? Themselves? And from whom?
Clearly they are pleading the fifth to avoid talking about the perfectly legal and legitimate actions by the IRS (as says the liberals in this thread).

Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Default Disappointing, isn't it?

Quote:
It's sickening to see the lengths that liberals will go to in defending this government's abuse of the citizenry. I hope that some day your brown shirt thuggery bites you on the ass. HARD!

All those crimes and abuses your team was talking about...

All those accusations of "worse than Watergate" and "enemies lists"...

All that anger and hatred those allegations built up in you...

POOF!

They were all fake.

But I suppose a good hate shouldn't go to waste.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
All those crimes and abuses your team was talking about...

All those accusations of "worse than Watergate" and "enemies lists"...

All that anger and hatred those allegations built up in you...

POOF!

They were all fake.

But I suppose a good hate shouldn't go to waste.
Watergate was a spat between the two parties that pretty much ended as it should have. The IRS targeting citizens for nothing more than their perceived beliefs goes right to what the founders tried to stop from happening.

These sorts of actions on the part of the government was the very reason they came here in the first place.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Government's abuse of the citizenry? A group has no right to be tax-exempt and donors to political groups have no right to be anonymous, unless the group falls within those specified in the IRS Code, which imposes limits on political activities in order to qualify for tax-exempt status.

Let's put this another way, fully political groups aren't allowed to be tax-exempt, so the IRS has no duty to approve these groups and subsidize them with tax-payer money. That's not an abuse, that's the intent of the law.

However, according to some, enforcing the law is "abuse of the citizenry."

A group has the the right not to be singled out by government agencies for harassment because of their political beliefs. That is EXACTLY what happened here. The leftist moonbats have been spinning this story since it broke to make it about IRS code pertaining to tax exempt status but the fact that not a single left wing group was subjected to the same scrutiny that the conservatives groups were subjected to reveals this spinning by the left to be a huge pile of horsesh1t.

If it were a Republican administration and liberal leftist groups were being audited and harassed you moonbats would be screaming about it at the top of your lungs 24-7. But since it was conservative groups you're Ok with it. When you get right down to it the American left is nothing but a bunch of supremely repugnant brown shirt thugs who practice do as I say and not as I do. You are a cancer upon this world. Wretched, disgusting human filth. Nothing more.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Watergate was a spat between the two parties that pretty much ended as it should have. The IRS targeting citizens for nothing more than their perceived beliefs goes right to what the founders tried to stop from happening.

These sorts of actions on the part of the government was the very reason they came here in the first place.
Quote:
A group has the the right not to be singled out by government agencies for harassment because of their political beliefs. That is EXACTLY what happened here. The leftist moonbats have been spinning this story since it broke to make it about IRS code pertaining to tax exempt status but the fact that not a single left wing group was subjected to the same scrutiny that the conservatives groups were subjected to reveals this spinning by the left to be a huge pile of horsesh1t.

If it were a Republican administration and liberal leftist groups were being audited and harassed you moonbats would be screaming about it at the top of your lungs 24-7. But since it was conservative groups you're Ok with it. When you get right down to it the American left is nothing but a bunch of supremely repugnant brown shirt thugs who practice do as I say and not as I do. You are a cancer upon this world. Wretched, disgusting human filth. Nothing more.
I'll address both of these together, as the assertion is essentially the same -- that the IRS harassed groups because of their political beliefs. That has not been established. The IRS has the difficult duty to determine eligibility of applicants for 501(c)(4) status.

501(c)(4) is not a right, it's a privilege. You're not simply entitled to it, you need to meet certain criteria, and the IRS is responsible for enforcing those criteria. If you don't like it, either change the law or don't apply for 501(c)(4) status. But while no group should be targeted because of what they believe (and nothing was proven that ideology was a motive,) the inverse is also true: No group should be given a free pass simply because of what they believe.

What the IRS did was motivated by practicality. To filter out groups that might be political in nature they used keyword searches. The resulting list could then be used to examine whether those groups were primarily political in nature and therefore ineligible.

So what was this "harassment?" They asked for documents that would determine whether their group was primarily political in nature. That's what they're supposed to do.

As the New York Times reports, many of those groups pushed the boundary.
Quote:
When CVFC, a conservative veterans’ group in California, applied for tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service, its biggest expenditure that year was several thousand dollars in radio ads backing a Republican candidate for Congress.

The Wetumpka Tea Party, from Alabama, sponsored training for a get-out-the-vote initiative dedicated to the “defeat of President Barack Obama” while the I.R.S. was weighing its application.

And the head of the Ohio Liberty Coalition, whose application languished with the I.R.S. for more than two years, sent out e-mails to members about Mitt Romney campaign events and organized members to distribute Mr. Romney’s presidential campaign literature. [...]

[A]close examination of these groups and others reveals an array of election activities that tax experts and former I.R.S. officials said would provide a legitimate basis for flagging them for closer review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies