Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Actually, it says less tha 5 dollars an hour. There were cases cited in the article of a penny an hour. I don't see a point in anyone actually going to work for THAT. Maybe just as an activity based thing for severely mentally handicapped people? A lot of the numbers cited just don't add up for me. There are still some holes that could be filled in. This is one that I'm staying on the fence with till I do some looking about. In this day and age, I'm having trouble with the whole "penny labor exploitation" thing. What with the ADA and other such regs in place, I just am not getting a clear picture of how this all, really, works.

The title of the thread and context of the article levels some pretty serious accusations. Oh, I'm NOT defending corporate fat cats and such. I have seen some pretty bad stuff in jobs I have worked. Abuse, certainly happens. But, its a situation one needs to approach with caution.
The title of this thread says less than $5 an hour. The title of the article says:

Quote:
Disabled workers paid just pennies an hour – and it's legal
Can you give me the first few words of the paragraph that says someone is making a penny an hour? I searched the article for "penny" and "pennies" but did not see an example cited in the article of a penny an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:43 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The title of this thread says less than $5 an hour. The title of the article says:

Can you give me the first few words of the paragraph that says someone is making a penny an hour? I searched the article for "penny" and "pennies" but did not see an example cited in the article of a penny an hour.
"Critics of 14c have focused on the non profits". First line. "At one workplace in Florida, some workers recieved one cent per hour". Last line.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
"Critics of 14c have focused on the non profits". First line. "At one workplace in Florida, some workers recieved one cent per hour". Last line.
Thanks. Why do you think they decided not to name that non profit? Hope it wasn't hearsay.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Thanks. Why do you think they decided not to name that non profit? Hope it wasn't hearsay.
Good question. It very well could be hearsay. Paying a "wage" like that doesn't make sense. It would cost an employer more to cut the check than what it's written for, and what would be the point for tbe employee? A weeks wages wouldn't buy breakfast at McDonalds. There is a LOT about this story that just isn't adding up for me.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Good question. It very well could be hearsay. Paying a "wage" like that doesn't make sense. It would cost an employer more to cut the check than what it's written for, and what would be the point for tbe employee? A weeks wages wouldn't buy breakfast at McDonalds. There is a LOT about this story that just isn't adding up for me.
That's a good point too. It's too bad there couldn't have been a rebuttal employee that Good Will could have used to show why wages are kept low but that would be exploitation I think. General Google searches on:

Quote:
pay disabled people 1 cent per hour
Mostly brings up Good Will paying 22 cents per hour. Still no sign of confirmed below that. But I did see a link rumoring that some people were being paid 1/3 cent per hour.

I've been up all night. I should stop for now

Old 07-20-2013, 10:04 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just another good reason to avoid Good Will Industries.
Thanks for not reading the thread!

Stopping early just guarantees you got misinformed.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
This answers the main questions I had after reading the article. Puts a more informed take on things. Since these workers ARE on the SSDI/SSI dolls, that makes a difference. They are not being expectex to live on the Goodwill pay. Still, I had to raise an eyebrow at the Goodwill CEO, talking about "fufullment" and such, whilst raking up bank. Lol, it DOES sound kinda....patronizing? But thats just a quirky thing that caught my eye. Thanks for the info MG.
No problem, thankyou for your consideration of the issue.

I think that giving extra weight to those of us with special needs individuals in our lives is a good call.

Most of the detractors just hate anything "corporate" and want to make everything look like exploitation.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No problem, thankyou for your consideration of the issue.

I think that giving extra weight to those of us with special needs individuals in our lives is a good call.

Most of the detractors just hate anything "corporate" and want to make everything look like exploitation.
Oh, there were certainly some leaps, straight to "this is slavery, wbere do I sign up to protest"...so to speak. There are still some gaps in this article from where I'm sitting. The whole "one cent an hour" thing, but no specifics for one. All the otber cases had names and store locations, etc. But, that situation was cited with, absolutely, no specifics, leading me to believe it was tossed in, for effect, witb a LOT deliberatly left out. If there was something truly horrible going on there, its hard to believe they would be so vague. You would think they would want to shout it from the rooftops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies