Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times

Advertisements

WTF. Pardon my French. This makes me extremely angry. After reading this, I dont know what to do but to just to post this on CD forum.
Please read it. I want people to know what Goodwill has done to these people.

Disabled workers paid just pennies an hour ? and it's legal - Open Channel

Does anybody have any suggestion how regular people like us can help in this situation?

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 06-21-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
WTF. Pardon my French. This makes me extremely angry. After reading this, I dont know what to do but to just to post this on CD forum.

Does anybody any suggestion how regular people like us can help in this situation?
Yes, make your opinion known to these non-profits and the businesses that take on employees who will be paid below minimum wage. If enough publicity is made and there is sufficient public shaming, it will change.

As someone who knows the retail industry, it stinks from head to tail for most workers, and that goes for businesses well beyond the popular target, Walmart.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Thanks. I am going to see to whom I can write and complain about.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
Quote:

Does anybody any suggestion how regular people like us can help in this situation?
sure , they should 'upskill' , 'start their own businesses' or better still, 'pull themselves up by their bootstaps'.

it's their own fault you see, because they should have planned ahead.

aka: Conservative dogma at its finest.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
I have mixed feelings about this.
Quote:
His wages have risen and fallen based on "time studies," the method nonprofits use to calculate the salaries of Section 14 (c) workers. Staff members use a stopwatch to determine how long it takes a disabled worker to complete a task. That time is compared with how long it would take a person without a disability to do the same task. The nonprofit then uses a formula to calculate a salary, which may be equal to or less than minimum wage. The tests are repeated every six months.
Working is good for people, that is one of the reasons I have an issue with some of our current unemployment and disability trends. On one hand you can't expect businesses to hire those can't do a full job for a full wage, but on the other, it is inexcusable to pay pennies on the hour. There needs to be a special minimum wage for this. I am surprised ADA hasn't resolved some of this.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
asiandude you and any outraged others....
did you read the entire article.....can you understand the concept and the benefits to the program?
Do you realize these workers aren't being forced to into this....as is shown by the woman that quit?
Do you want to hire them at full wage? Will anybody?......... unless they can use this experience as a stepping stone to regular employment

Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I have to wander tho if its offset by payments they get otherwise other workers do not get. I really doubt its good to have disabled put into non-working like they were in past so often. that a few at the top is like saying we have a few at top of government making much more to handle the people business compared to many of their workers. The purpose was to get handicapped out of the shut in society and they are not forced to do it. Volunteers are actually paid nothing in these same non-profits but they also are not forced. The same can be said of those at top of even the American red cross.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Thanks. I am going to see to whom I can write and complain about.

Write to your representative in Washington D.C.

It was an interesting article, indeed.

I will note that the cases I have seen (which have been few at my level, since these people usually get on disability pretty fast after they file) the Goodwill worker is generally is so disabled that he or she actually lives at home with parents or other caregiver, and that the Goodwill pay is not really for the purpose of 'providing a living' but helping the worker gain self esteem, as well as simply working with like people (fellowship, if you will).

However, the article opened my eyes concerning how much many are actually being paid. I knew that the Goodwill workers here in Fort Worth were not getting the minimum wage, but I had not realized that the pay may be so miniscule.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:59 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:

Does anybody have any suggestion how regular people like us can help in this situation?
This is a tough one especially with high unemployment. If it was full minimum wage, wouldn't that mean able body people could apply for the jobs? If that's the case then it's competitive and whomever has the higher efficiency wins.

The other choice would be to have a law that allowed only the hiring of disabled people and at m. wage or higher. That would be reverse discrimination.

The timed rule for the most part sounds fair but yes degrading. I think Good Will's ultimate goal is to get people in regular employment if they can. They aren't looking o set up labor camps to pay their fat cat CEO.

I don't like the headline. Maybe I missed it but it says people getting paid .22 an hour but never gives an example of who.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

Sure. First start by getting all the facts.

1. It only impacts 4k of the 30k disabled workers. Do you have any idea how few employers will take on the types of workers that would fall in that category? Then in the more profoundly disabled category of the 4k....who would hire them?

2. If a regular worker can make 10 widgets a day and bob can only make 2 widgets a day and makes $1 an hour, you'd prefer he'd make $5 and hour. What happens when bob can only make a widget every week as his disabilities worsen?

3. They are all receiving disablity incomes from the govt. This money is supplemental to that.

So what you guys are so upset about are people whom are virtually unemployable and unable to work even basic jobs very well, whom no one else will employ are able to get out of the house, socialize and contribute to the extent of their disabilities.....but you want them to be artificially paid the same as all the people around them.

Goodwill is providing a societal benefit, I would urge you to stop and think about it.

P.S. If you don't want to take my word for it, contact some of the local groups that work with special needs and disabled adults etc. and listen to what they have to say. My buddy is heavily involved in this and I too have a special needs kid as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies