Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Good thing that we don't want government to protect citizens. It's much better when industry determines what is safe, right?

After all, consumers can vote with their wallets - never mind that they are not informed enough, educated enough, or are plain lied to by industry.

Works brilliantly: We're all fat, we take more medication than any other nation, most of our kids need to take pills to be "normal," etc.

I stated in another thread that my home-made bread has seven ingredients while the one from the grocery store has 115! Why? What are they? What do they do to my body and mind?
Thats progress buddy. We have scientists that have discovered how to obtain extracts and crack chemicals from plants, and then we have the scientists who recombine them according to the latest nutritional guidelines from inconclusive , conflicting studies funded from politically polluted sources.

Without them you have to turn to extreme solutions like eating raw, unprocessed fruit off the tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Here's a list of their breads and corresponding ingredients.
Golden baguette | Breads | Our Products | Au pain doré

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
Most groceries have bakerys that make fresh bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The bread sold here has about seven ingredients. Some have even less.
It's only the fake white spongy stuff has a crapload of ingredients, but most folks buy from Au Pain Dore or Premiere Moisson. The bread is delicious. It doesn't last long because of the lack of preservatives, but one tends to eat it right away.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Here's a list of their breads and corresponding ingredients.
Golden baguette | Breads | Our Products | Au pain doré
Most Americans are not going to change the way they shop in order to have bread without preservatives. I'd like to see someone try a chain like that around here though.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Kraft makes a different brand of mac & cheese to sell in European countries that have banned GMO.
And if the US version is sold a warning label is put on it.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Kraft makes a different brand of mac & cheese to sell in European countries that have banned GMO.
And if the US version is sold a warning label is put on it.
I'm not sure that's the same issue here. I sure don't want to start an argument on of GMO is safe, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain dangerous chemicals.

Actually, if there is proof GMO isn't safe I'd like to see it on a new thread.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm not sure that's the same issue here. I sure don't want to start an argument on of GMO is safe, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain dangerous chemicals.

Actually, if there is proof GMO isn't safe I'd like to see it on a new thread.
Forget the GMO part..the food itself is not sold over there and if it is it must be labeled.
Yet there is no label here.

That was the point I was trying to make.
Europe has their own opinion of GMO and strictly enforce it.

There's a lot of food produced here in the US with no labeling.
Our FDA in collusion with corporates turn a blind eye.

There's lots of food here not deemed safe in other countries.
And many products have a European version.
Now go think on that for a bit.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I saw that list on buzzfeed. Pretty gross stuff on there.
Haven't seen the list. Does it include what quantities of each substance, there are in these foods?

I would be interested to know how many parts per billion of XXXX are in bread or whatever, and whether the quantities are above the levels where they have been found actually harmful.

For example, there is arsenic in nearly everyone's drinking water. Oh my gawd, arsenic is a deadly poison, isn't it? Yes, it is... in sufficient quantities. But if it is present in less than 50 parts per billion, it has no effect whatsoever on humans.

Arsenic exists naturally in rocks, soil, water, plants, and animals, and it always has. Back when humans were living in caves and chasing sabertooth tigers, there was arsenic in pretty much all water and foods. Tiny quantities, of course, just like now. Not nearly enough to hurt anyone or anything.

How many of these "horrible" substances this article is whining about, exist in foods and water in quantities far lower than can possibly do any damage? And how many governments came up with knee-jerk reactions at hearing the scary names of these substances, and banned them without finding out if there was even enough to matter?

These substances have been used as (irrelevant) political footballs for years, of course. For many decades, the EPA standard for arsenic in drinking water, was 50 parts per billion (ppb). Scientists and doctors had agreed for many years, that arsenic at this level or below did no harm whatsoever to anybody, young, old, male, female etc.

In the last few days of the Clinton administration, Clinton suddenly lowered the standard for arsenic in water, from 50ppb to 10ppb. When George W. Bush took office a few days later, he soon proposed raising the standard back up to the 50ppb it had been for decades. And Democrats screamed bloody murder, insisting that Bush was obviously trying to poison all our drinking water. My God, he's trying to QUINTUPLE the amount of arsenic - a deadly poison - in our water!!!

Is this list of dreadful substances that have been "banned" by other governments, more examples of the "United States trying to poison us all", as Bush's proposal to raise the arsenic standards was?

Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
The bread sold here has about seven ingredients. Some have even less.
It's only the fake white spongy stuff has a crapload of ingredients, but most folks buy from Au Pain Dore or Premiere Moisson. The bread is delicious. It doesn't last long because of the lack of preservatives, but one tends to eat it right away.
I love good quality bread and we have a lot here that is top of the line. The ones referred to with so many ingredients are the cheap, air filled breads that have nothing much of value. They certainly are not all breads...And yes, you are right, they do not last long. For those of us who have small families we are between a rock and a hard spot. I might add, most grocery stores here have their own bakery and the bread is made fresh daily, with no preservatives and it is outstanding quality, not to mention, when someone takes these studies to seriously they do nothing but hurt themselves. Even if a product has X number of ingredients, that doesn't mean a thing: some of those ingredients are so minute, it would be hard to find even a trace.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Most groceries have bakerys that make fresh bread.
Yeah, and check the ingredients. I make our own bread here. It's so simple it is crazy to buy store bought. Heck just buy a 'Bread Machine" just throw in the ingredients and turn it on. We have one, but seldom use it.

We grow most of our own veggies, what we don't we get from neighbors. Have a large WMD pressure canner, and do up a years supply every fall. Raise our own chickens, and buy a side of beef from a rancher friend every year also. Been doing it for so long now that it is normal to us.

Mericans are just downright lazy and stupid.

Disclaimer.
This post could have been intercepted and doctored by the NSA, and therefore may not represent the views of the sender.

+nWsDgsExL3lD7OUiDBfUjeOplxOdKGglSbHPPsyh+Iladur1p 7WtnsMsCvzAImklTjuLZHzdSyLFCBH/MGQd/zdKtYHoexXjeoa90tlWPKH0G9Xj05zTglxPkhOyFN4Ig+5vUbx ZDrYnYggu8j+tjJYya+JbHZMMTly/bJFFEelRMIWwFtrnbSVtbzOHfmR9UpLsl35aqre5BzAvWq5nxC ooOqJF/ERq735o689u5Qe6kQwtGCASz2ije5SUaWG+gyiHPrBYYb/Xi9/xapoxA2hAOHrrO
+dCAR27YyhWGPEdXwoXMGhKk3kTV5of6Q5GgGZgZ6JBAduHPGi 5R6jUctx1E34WNMfJrqB3WU2eXh2oC+2SROGQmPC1diKuXSJwK v0PA0woQZKa2LAbYagweJ6IZCbbGAAR8fomlJzoOc+IPnVL94U VSCcaC
+8GOEECIMtjVj5QHsoiuWFG3lv3wi2j6+qM/dGzGMmbsGzNTB9RMabrLbv2LE+Mb6kU0aeX+EJEepH1hFhzrcn 6e5+mM6lS+dHXmRa9T4CdI8hXvbeLji21XIvaiJDKkUQ+Yg40y eWMXOtDFJw9Tu3vEAPfdT
+2G/L3Jp7Te5mdAHNFSbGq8rb3987HsM8ZHTOBrWEq3ozHzd0mdiEx ktzxBB+drZlimaiUu7lPTHaXydISfy1UzxeM0Wd5bsA7PVArno yyS+SPG+dOwjplb8BjjsmLtcgyj
+B62oehywW/F6S94LTjV0JbFQimS2EqMALIiCTGXUT28UUBGUQVyEUnOHALw8 hrSKPCFDGWg6mmLWYloG3v1VSxb4XEz/S+wuTTfLPTByE8/n3CrB0Dn30Yu248/WS1V1nuOmF4x0ilWCKEj4EaMlpoNuaBl2mKfA25+D9KSfkHthY M7MkUGqulO2x4oEqGBqTo/HUQaIZXiN910zssIAE/CJVzccnBnTJmhbTeSoClePEz6OTeVExy9+gQS3r5UWb
iytWDxmH9549ROjw=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies