Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,274,182 times

Advertisements

Pure comedy gold: Watching cons whine about the FDA letting too many chemicals into our food on one thread, and whining about over-regulation on another. You can't make this stuff up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,675,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Pure comedy gold: Watching cons whine about the FDA letting too many chemicals into our food on one thread, and whining about over-regulation on another. You can't make this stuff up!
And the Dems are so apathetic of what is going on they have no opinion either way.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,782,338 times
Canning is a waste of time when I can do most of that at a farmers market if I see the need. I have an 8 and 9 year old and this "merican" and his Filipina wife have our children on a healthier diet than most people anywhere. We eat alot of stir frys, seafood, fresh fruits and vegtables as well as traditional meals of steak and potatoes, meat loaf spaghetti Chili. We eat at home every night and Dinner has a plate of carrotts, celery cucumbers watermelon cantelope or some other veggies and fruit in the middle of the table. We just got through making a huge batch of Cherry Jam fresh off our trees in the back yard and im looking at making apple sauce when that fruit comes in the fall. I dont have to live in the 1840s to teach my children good habits and I can count on one hand the times they have eaten fast food. We rarely use the can opener or eat TV dinners or packaged food. My wife couldnt stomach a 100% American junk food diet and neither can most Americans. We live in the country and most of my neighbors have huge gardens so I dont have to make the effort because they always have way more than they could possibly use and they dont can either.

Take your diet snob act somewhere else, people who want to eat healthy can do so with little effort

Last edited by boner; 06-21-2013 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,780,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Forget the GMO part..the food itself is not sold over there and if it is it must be labeled.
Yet there is no label here.

That was the point I was trying to make.
Europe has their own opinion of GMO and strictly enforce it.

There's a lot of food produced here in the US with no labeling.
Our FDA in collusion with corporates turn a blind eye.

There's lots of food here not deemed safe in other countries.
And many products have a European version.
Now go think on that for a bit.
Hey, I'm here to learn not defend GMO. So almost every line from you is appreciated. This does remind me of the monkey nuts scare that didn't have the label "may contain monkey nuts".

Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,807,496 times
Quoted from the article linked in the OP:

Quote:
Extreme! Mt. Dew is made with a chemical that also is used to prevent carpets from catching on fire
Let me guess: water.

Quote:
Bubble gag: Bubble Yum contains a chemical that is known to cause cancer in rats
Diet soda used to be made with saccharin, an artificial sweetener. Then someone published a "study" showing that feeding saccharin to rats, occasionally produce cancer in those rate.

The media went ballistic, stories splashed all over the headlines for weeks, and saccharin was taken out of nearly everything.

Then someone noticed that the amount of saccharin fed to those rats, was the equivalent of an adult man drinking 778 cans of diet soda every day, for three years.

This article seems filled with such "horrifying" non-issues.

Not much point in reading further.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:47 PM

8,067 posts, read 3,964,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This article seems filled with such "horrifying" non-issues.

Not much point in reading further.

Seems?!! This story originated on Buzzfeed - of course it's bullcrap:

Eight Toxic Foods: A Little Chemical Education

Old 06-21-2013, 04:18 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,780,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Seems?!! This story originated on Buzzfeed - of course it's bullcrap:

Eight Toxic Foods: A Little Chemical Education
I heard the proteins in my body contain chemicals. How can I get rid of them?

Old 06-21-2013, 04:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,842,536 times
I'm sitting here drinking a can of Coke. It has an expiration date of MAR 03 2015. One has to think about how many chemicals are required to preserve it for nearly two years. I wonder what it says on a European can?

Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,528,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Good thing that we don't want government to protect citizens. It's much better when industry determines what is safe, right?

After all, consumers can vote with their wallets - never mind that they are not informed enough, educated enough, or are plain lied to by industry.

Works brilliantly: We're all fat, we take more medication than any other nation, most of our kids need to take pills to be "normal," etc.

I stated in another thread that my home-made bread has seven ingredients while the one from the grocery store has 115! Why? What are they? What do they do to my body and mind?
great post. I also think they want us to be fat so they can sell pills, diets, workouts, and dangerous weight loss surgeries.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,528,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Here's a list of their breads and corresponding ingredients.
Golden baguette | Breads | Our Products | Au pain doré
stop bragging...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies