Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I'm sitting here drinking a can of Coke. It has an expiration date of MAR 03 2015. One has to think about how many chemicals are required to preserve it for nearly two years. I wonder what it says on a European can?
Well the number of chemicals are on the can

Phosphoric acid might have a preservative effect but I don't know for cola. It can inhibit growth of certain organisms but it's doubtful they'd be in your cola.

Phosphoric acid can also help remove rust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I heard the proteins in my body contain chemicals. How can I get rid of them?

Find an evil food giant to protest - Gaia will reward you by ridding your body of all chemicals upon your death.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Well the number of chemicals are on the can ....
Per the FDA, once the weight falls below a certain number then its no longer listed. Also certain items can be listed under generic headings. So the weight of the individual item may not be an issue, the amount of items that are eaten per day may take one over the safe threshold for that chemical group. Many countries have banned it because of this reason and not that it may be in one food.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/default.htm

Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Yeah, and check the ingredients. I make our own bread here. It's so simple it is crazy to buy store bought. Heck just buy a 'Bread Machine" just throw in the ingredients and turn it on. We have one, but seldom use it.

We grow most of our own veggies, what we don't we get from neighbors. Have a large WMD pressure canner, and do up a years supply every fall. Raise our own chickens, and buy a side of beef from a rancher friend every year also. Been doing it for so long now that it is normal to us.

Mericans are just downright lazy and stupid.
not everyone has the ability to properly butcher various animals, or have the ability to can foods for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Pure comedy gold: Watching cons whine about the FDA letting too many chemicals into our food on one thread, and whining about over-regulation on another. You can't make this stuff up!
and how about the liberals that constantly push to allow all the chemicals in our foods, and the turn around and try to force the companies to limit them, but leave huge loopholes for their buddies?

my biggest issue though is all the sodium, potassium, and phosphorus that is put in the foods we eat. god get a can of something that is normally healthy, like peas or corn, and check out how much sodium is put in the can. i realize that sodium is used to kick up the flavor, and as a preservative, but do we really need 1000mg per serving of sodium in peas or corn? and the same thing goes with restaurant food, and not even fast food either. we cook with far too much sodium in this country, and we have far too much potassium and phosphorus as well in our food. we can eliminate 90% of it and never miss it. and it would give dialysis patients more food options.

and cured meats are probably the worst. hotdogs have nearly 700mg sodium in one serving. sausage has just as much as does bacon, and lunch meats.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,066 times
Quote:
I'm sitting here drinking a can of Coke. It has an expiration date of MAR 03 2015. One has to think about how many chemicals are required to preserve it for nearly two years. I wonder what it says on a European can?
Coca Cola cause Global Warming.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times
Water is a chemical.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,762,588 times
Quote:
Per the FDA, once the weight falls below a certain number then its no longer listed. Also certain items can be listed under generic headings. So the weight of the individual item may not be an issue, the amount of items that are eaten per day may take one over the safe threshold for that chemical group. Many countries have banned it because of this reason and not that it may be in one food.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/default.htm
I was speaking of Coke. Are you speaking of Coke? If you are then are you saying there's stuff in there that isn't listed? Just because they don't have to list it doesn't mean they actually don't.

(Just looked at my pepsi Max ingredients. Bad idea.)

Old 06-22-2013, 01:11 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I find great irony the US fights this massive war on drugs, including organic products like marijuana, but has no problem with turning a blind eye to cancer aiding agents in our food.
If you mean "organic" in the sense that it is grown without chemicals or pesticides, then your marijuana is likely NOT organic. Unless you grow it yourself or know who is growing it personally (and have seen their operation), you have no idea what is in that *****.

(And no, I am not endorsing marijuana - organic or otherwise.)

Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Which ingredients are in our food that the government hasn't determined to be safe?
If you read the FDA rulings on chemicals they find it "safe" in certain quantities. They don't take into consideration that certain widely used chemicals may be in other foods that when ingested together raises a person to that threshold and over time may cross it. They also don't take into consideration what occurs with other "safe" chemicals interact with other "safe" chemicals. Read the FDA link on what is considers "safe". This is the difference that in numerous countries you don't find most of the American prepared foods in their supermarkets since the chemicals that are considered "safe" in the US are not there.

For example, I can't drink (or eat) any soda that contains a sugar substitute. Within a few hours it gives be stomach cramps. Yet if I take Splenda and add it to my coffee, it by itself does not give me any issues. I've read and compared numerous labels of drinks and foods and the only thing they have in common is the sugar substitute.

Here in the US, most people can't grow their own food so we're stuck with what is available. Obesity is no longer a quantity eaten issue as it was a few decades ago its now an issue in the small intestine (and the
esophagus)
that has changed how foods are absorbed in the system and for this reason the courts have recently passed a ruling to make obesity a disease.

We need an FDA that represents the people and not US corporations. Read the background on numerous banned foods. The FDA consistently throws out European/Asian studies as baseless even though they have done numerous studies in numerous countries.

We can take this over to Drugs. There are 100's of drugs that Europe and Asia considered safe yet they are banned in the US. Why? Because they are not made by an American corporation, but when they become generic all of a sudden they are safe. And if the FDA can't make it unsafe, they make it very expensive to import and list a whole list of side effects that for some reason only happens in the US studies.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:05 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Even more disturbing - water contains the exact same chemical that blew up the Hindenburg!
Yes, let's ban dihydrogen monoxide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies