Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,800,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Yes, let's ban dihydrogen monoxide.
Stop trying to confuse people because it has the word monoxide in it. FWIW it to the general public its H2O.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-22-2013 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
List of foods readily available in US grocery stores that are BANNED in other countries for containing dangerous chemicals

I find great irony the US fights this massive war on drugs, including organic products like marijuana, but has no problem with turning a blind eye to cancer aiding agents in our food.
I also find the great irony in your post that you support an ideology that actively encourages to shovel this toxic crap into our grocery store shelves. I do what I do, and rethink what sort of political ideology you support. because, if Ron Paul had won, you can bet it would be even worse. Let's rmeember in the good ol' days before national food regulations, Coke was mixing cocaine into Coca-Cola

Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I was speaking of Coke. Are you speaking of Coke? If you are then are you saying there's stuff in there that isn't listed? Just because they don't have to list it doesn't mean they actually don't.

(Just looked at my pepsi Max ingredients. Bad idea.)
Drink Pepsi Throwback. I dropped Coke and drink Throwback because it uses real sugar, not sugar substitute or HFCS. Of course. I limit my consumption too, to one can a day at most

Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,741,900 times
Hey All American, I thought you righties wanted the government to completely stop regulating business. Sounds like, from what you are complaining about, the government isn't doing enough to keep this crap out of our food. It also sounds like you would be in favor of tighter controls by the FDA to remedy this situation. Or is it that you guys want tighter controls of things that only affect you and leave everything else to the whim of free market governance?

Old 06-22-2013, 06:36 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,617,763 times
I have posted several times on this topic before. I honestly believe that the US FDA is the most corrupt and useless agency in the country and probably one of the most corrupt government agencies in the world. They ban food that has health benefits and approve food and drugs that are bad for people, and they do it on purpose because most of them rotate in and out of the pharmaceutical industry.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,741,900 times
I agree with you MJ. I think the FDA should be disbanded and replaced with an organization that regulates these things for the good of the people, not corporations. My point, though, is that the right wingers decry any and all government regulation but here we have an avowed hyper conservative complaining that the government is not doing enough to keep these chemicals out of our food. Hypocrisy bothers me no matter if it comes from the left or right.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:53 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,517,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Good thing that we don't want government to protect citizens. It's much better when industry determines what is safe, right?

After all, consumers can vote with their wallets - never mind that they are not informed enough, educated enough, or are plain lied to by industry.

Works brilliantly: We're all fat, we take more medication than any other nation, most of our kids need to take pills to be "normal," etc.

I stated in another thread that my home-made bread has seven ingredients while the one from the grocery store has 115! Why? What are they? What do they do to my body and mind?
So you are making an argument against people that say government food regulation is unnecessary. And you are using examples of government regulated food as an example to prove they are wrong? lols.

Pathetic.
Pathetic indeed.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,231,236 times
Many, if not all of those ingredients, are found in such trace amounts that I would do more harm to my body by stressing over it than consuming it. Of course, there are plenty of valid reasons to not drink Mtn Dew, Fruit Loops, and Hungry Man, but bromine being in it is not one of them.

Also, the article is really void of logic on some things. It tries to scare you by saying bromine is used as a flame retardant, and brominated vegetable oil is in your drinks. That really means nothing though. You could say salt is poison because it contains a chemical used to clean pools and an explosive metal.

And lastly, I grew up in a farming community, and every one of them who raised cows said there is nothing wrong with hormones. They put their money where their mouths were and drank milk from the store too, so I don't see a reason not to trust them on it.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Let's rmeember in the good ol' days before national food regulations, Coke was mixing cocaine into Coca-Cola
Was that a bad thing?

Or, was it the Real Thing?

I'll take Real Thing any day.

The REAL THING doesn't Fk u up - it only refreshes.

The Real Thing is anti-obesity.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,389,410 times
It's the poisons that keep the economy going.

Folks don't get degrees in chemistry for nothing, ya know!

College is evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies