Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In the larger context - say, when automakers and labor unions do it - we call it protectionism and say that's a bad thing.

Zoning redistributes income UPWARD from renters to owners, and not even Thomas Sowell could endorse that.
If I buy property and place a nice home on it. Combined value is 240 g. Joe redneck sets up a trailor next to my property and opens a junk yard.
I take a beating.
Zoning laws prevent this.
There are properties available with much less strict laws than my area. Trailers are allowed. hell a 500sq ft house is allowed. Hunters put cabins on them.
It isn't like there are none. If you cant afford the requirements seek elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I see owning a home as a crucial defensive strategy for a burger flipper to ensure that they have at least minimal retirement security in old age.

Owning a home means you will never be displaced by another rent increase, and eventually your mortgage will be paid off and all the money (30% to 60% of your income) that you would have spent on rent can now be saved and invested for your own security.

Owning a home also improves your dating opportunities, which is also crucial for burger flippers who are at a huge disadvantage in the dating and marriage market.
What does burger flipping, home owning, and dating have to do with anything?

Most people in their 20s isn't in a position to own a home, I was lucky that I had family connections to the real estate world where I grew up and was able to buy a condo for my first place. I sold it after a few years of owning when I moved west. Since then I haven't been in a position to buy anything without assuming a large risk from such a purchase....also there was this think called the Housing Boom that was sending prices up and fast, and I would never be dumb enough to buy a house during a Housing Boom when prices are inflated. It makes more sense to wait until the damages are done and then buy a home at a more realistic price.

With that said, my plan over the next five years will involve buying my family a home and buying investment properties to have a small collection of rentals to manage.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The funny thing is that there are a lot of houses that look just like that one in rural areas of Appalachia.

It's gone now but make it just a bit bigger and it's my grandparents' house. I bet the outhouse was nicer, they had a two holer.

To my grandmother, the bathroom was always the "backhouse". Dunno how many holes her outhouse had.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Before I came to America, I lived on a farm in Russia. Homes were small, one or two bedrooms, tiny kitchen and small living room with one couch and table. Families lived nice and happy there.
I lived on a farm in Russia as well. I slept in the "summer kitchen" on bearskin rugs and often woke up with a chicken roosting on my head. It was an ....interesting...experience.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 PM

233 posts, read 238,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The reason is because they want real estate companies to make homes families can live in. 500 sq ft is enough for a single person, but not for a family. It is often much harder to tear down old houses and build better ones, than to build good from the start.

Just build it a little larger, no family would want a 500 sq ft home anyway. And if you ever get a family you wouldn't want to live there either.
That should be his business how large of a home he wants to build. Just CRAZY right?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Zoning laws are for protection of property values. I kinda like the fact that no one can open a strip club, or pawn shop, or bar, or industrial chemical processor, or cattle stock yard in my neighborhood. I even like the fact that no one can park a single-side next door. I have nothing against single-wide trailers (my brother lives in one, and it's quite nice on the inside), but if someone were to park one next door the value of my house would go down and fewer people would want to buy it.

As for your small house, property values are based on the aggregate of all property values in the area. If ALL the houses in one neighborhood are McMansions and all the houses in another neighborhood are 500-sq. foot mini houses, the values may be $500,000 and $25,000 respectively. But if a neighborhood had a mix of the same houses, the values may be $450,000 and $40,000, respectively.
Your logic is flawed. A house is built to live in...your neighbors liberty and freedom should not be shut off because you can not understand that a house is there to live in and not to make money off of (that is the reason we are in the world of crap we are in). I am in favor of BASIC zoning laws but not busy bodies who can not mind their own business (HOAs and historic preservationists).

Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I like zoning laws. They protect your investment.
Very BASIC zoning laws do. What you forget is that it can and is taken too far. A house is bought to live in, if you wish to make an investment contact a broker about the stockmarket. A big reason we are in the situation we are in, is because some could not understand a house is there to live in and not to make money on. If you wish to invest in property that is your business. However do say that your neighbors' liberty and freedom should be shut down to with their property as they wish, because you wish to make an investment.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropes1981 View Post
Your logic is flawed. A house is built to live in...your neighbors liberty and freedom should not be shut off because you can not understand that a house is there to live in and not to make money off of (that is the reason we are in the world of crap we are in). I am in favor of BASIC zoning laws but not busy bodies who can not mind their own business (HOAs and historic preservationists).
Then you might want to stay away from any subdevelopment, often times those places can have some serious busy bodies serving the neighborhood. I lived in a suburb neighborhood that required you to get approval from all your neighbors before painting your house....though on the flip side, no one wants to have an ugly painted house on their block.

If you want to have a limited amount of people telling you what to do, the rural parts of the country are better suited for you, but be warned, the suburbs are looking to expand into the rural part of the country and wish to bring their busy body suburbanites with them.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropes1981 View Post
Very BASIC zoning laws do. What you forget is that it can and is taken too far. A house is bought to live in, if you wish to make an investment contact a broker about the stockmarket. A big reason we are in the situation we are in, is because some could not understand a house is there to live in and not to make money on. If you wish to invest in property that is your business. However do say that your neighbors' liberty and freedom should be shut down to with their property as they wish, because you wish to make an investment.
Actually a home is an investment regardless if you live in it or not, remember one day you will need to sell the house and one hopes to make more than they paid for it, not less. Also, if someone buys a house and wishes to rent it out, then it is very much an investment for one to make money off of.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually a home is an investment regardless if you live in it or not, remember one day you will need to sell the house and one hopes to make more than they paid for it, not less. Also, if someone buys a house and wishes to rent it out, then it is very much an investment for one to make money off of.
You can make the same argument with a vehicle. There is no promise that you are entitled to make money on investing on a house...show me where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies