Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
She must not have known her customers or couldn't care because the only people I know who followed her were Black. The secretary at my old job went down to the restuarant and came back telling rave reviews. Heck she made it sound like somewhere Id want to go.

I'm tired of this PC nonsense. The president dines with Jay Z who made a living off the word but I guess the Food Network doesn't want the controversy.
Jay-Z never made a living off the word. That's silly. Yes, he's used it in his lyrics, but his stuff is clever enough that had he never used the word in his lyrics, he would've still made it big.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Deen has always been popular with black folks and they're not gonna trip out over something she said years ago.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
The post upthread that said no one comes out of a deposition looking good is spot on. I'm just a bit whatever about the whole thing. I think the amount of attention on this topic in the media is excessive.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Well hell; since being overweight is now a disease they performed a "twofer" by firing Deene. Her recipes were virtually the handbook on how to gain weight without really trying.

Too bad; I liked her kitchy bonhommie Y'all's.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Damn, I really did like her. When I was watching the news yesterday, and the what they said was people were asking for her to step down automatically I knew what it was. Its sad when yo automatically knew someone is an under cover racist. Not just bad for her, but for the whole south. I still love her food.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Its show business. It happened 20 years ago and yet that is how political correctness works now days.She likely has a contract so it upto them to settle at amount or go to court likely.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its show business. It happened 20 years ago and yet that is how political correctness works now days.She likely has a contract so it upto them to settle at amount or go to court likely.
Her contract is up at the end of this month. They aren't going to renew.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Her contract is up at the end of this month. They aren't going to renew.
How is she ever going to survive?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They oughta let the damn woman alone. Geez...who cares about what she said a million moons ago. She already apologized, and these idiots in the press are needlessly piling on.

This country needs to grow the hell up for one. I could see if she yelled the N word out recently to someone as an insult...that's one thing. But to pick on her as if she's some raging racist is ridiculous.

BTW...this has NOTHING to do with blacks. We don't own the Food Network, nor were there calls for her to be fired. Ironically, she's actually pretty popular with black people.

+1. I'm really impressed with your response.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Jay-Z never made a living off the word. That's silly. Yes, he's used it in his lyrics, but his stuff is clever enough that had he never used the word in his lyrics, he would've still made it big.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Deen has always been popular with black folks and they're not gonna trip out over something she said years ago.
"Dirt Off Your Shoulder"

He used it 8 times in that song/ That one song.

He could've easily changed the word to say, person or people.

If you feeling like a pimp person, go and brush your shoulders off,
Ladies is pimps too, go and brush your shoulders off
People is crazy baby, don't forget that boy told you.

Then again, it kind of loses something. It sounds less real to me. Like he's fronting. He's not totally going HAM on that ****. IF you can't go HAM, go HOME.

*Drops the mic*

JAY-Z - Dirt Off Your Shoulder - YouTube

Old 06-21-2013, 08:05 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am so impressed with the Food Network for doing this. This is actually a really good year for putting their money where their mouth is about their values when people say offensive stuff. Rick Ross, Lil Wayne and now Paula Deen all lost endorsements because of stupid statements. Amazing.
I know who Paula Deen is but tell me, "Who are Rick Ross and Lil Wayne." I don't remember ever hearing those names before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies