Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You are in fantasyland. The majority of all adults work. The majority of adults who receive assitance work. Stop lying.
" The majority of adults who receive assitance work." [sic}

Do you have a cite for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:41 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You need to stop lying to yourself.

The government takes money from the private sector via taxation. Once they take their cut they decide who gets what money returned to them. They then call it "help".

It would be much more efficient to let people keep the money they earn in the first place. Then they don't have to turn to govt for the things you mention. They can purchase them themselves.

You are subsidizing the lifestyle of the government, not the other way around.

This is an absurd notion. First whole industries are dependent on that government money. Do you view those private companies as being takers? Do you view the money that Haliburton received from the federal government as tax payer money that was stolen to help haliburton? Or what about Boeing, or the thousands of other companies that depend on government contracts. Are those companies employees sucking on the government teet because their business depends on government money?

I can list them if you like. So this idea of this separation between private money and public money is an illusion.

Also, you need to understand the concept of owe. When I agree to pay my mortgage, I am agreeing that a portion of my earnings BELONG to the bank. This is what owing means. It means that I agree that some portion of the money I earn doesn't belong to me, but is owed/ie belongs to whom I agree I owe.

Now the federal government is owed taxes. This is objective reality. They are owed taxes because the constitiution says the government can collect taxes and because those taxes pay for the things we want government to do as Americans.

The vast overwhelming majority of Americans agree that we owe the federal government taxes. This means that we acknowledge that a portion of our earnings belong to the government the same as we we agree we owe the bank who financed our mortgage or our car loan or our school loans.

It makes about as much sense to me for me to scream at the bank where I pay my mortgage that they have "my" money as it does to do it to the federal government. No the bank has their money that they are owed, and the federal government has it's money that it is owed.

Whenever the federal government decides to say well if you do this or that or this or that, we will not have you pay us the full amount owed that is the federal government spending money and giving subsidies and handouts. This is why with very few exceptions most Americans cannot claim they don't get government handouts/subsidies.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
" The majority of adults who receive assitance work." [sic}

Do you have a cite for this?

Look up the stats for yourself.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Well yes, they do indeed. And I am absolutely not a fan of people who are able-bodied and capable of being productive yet choose to be leeches on society's backside.

But what do you propose we do to fix that? Kill people who don't work? Sterilize "undesireables"?
I don't think we can do that....
I would like to see "voluntary" work centers throughout the country where people can go to learn a skill and be productive while being provided room and board (and day care, if necessary). To be accepted to these camps you must take an initial drug test and periodic drug tests while participating in the program. You could live there a MAXIMUM of one year and at the end of that time the "government" would assist you in locating a job.

It would also be nice if people who were on welfare, food stamps and "disability", were required to take a minimal amount of training courses with the ultimate objective of getting off these entitlement programs. They should also REDUCE the amount of money received for every child that is born so that welfare mamas are not encourage to continue having babies that the welfare system supports.

There are a ton of ways the system could be improved. Maybe we should just let Sheriff Joe take care of this, he seems to have the right idea.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would like to see "voluntary" work centers throughout the country where people can go to learn a skill and be productive while being provided room and board (and day care, if necessary). To be accepted to these camps you must take an initial drug test and periodic drug tests while participating in the program. You could live there a MAXIMUM of one year and at the end of that time the "government" would assist you in locating a job.

It would also be nice if people who were on welfare, food stamps and "disability", were required to take a minimal amount of training courses with the ultimate objective of getting off these entitlement programs. They should also REDUCE the amount of money received for every child that is born so that welfare mamas are not encourage to continue having babies that the welfare system supports.

There are a ton of ways the system could be improved. Maybe we should just let Sheriff Joe take care of this, he seems to have the right idea.

20yrsinBranson
I think we should combine all that. They work 8 hours from 5 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. with a 30 minute lunch. They get 1 hour before they're to report to classes where they spend the remainder of their day, 8 p.m. sounds good, and then they get to go home where they're provided food and shelter until they get on their feet.

We can call it gulags, forced labor, concentration camps, the army, whatever...

We're going to need a pretty big military force and those people should start yesterday.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Look up the stats for yourself.
You are the one who made the assertion.
Your credibility is zero when you make statements without being able to provide cites to back them up.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
I admit it. I received gov't money for more than 20 years. So what?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
College loans.
That does not count if you have pay them back with interest.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I think we should combine all that. They work 8 hours from 5 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. with a 30 minute lunch. They get 1 hour before they're to report to classes where they spend the remainder of their day, 8 p.m. sounds good, and then they get to go home where they're provided food and shelter until they get on their feet.

We can call it gulags, forced labor, concentration camps, the army, whatever...

We're going to need a pretty big military force and those people should start yesterday.
1. Do you two have any idea how much that would cost? Way more than what "welfare" costs.

2. Most welfare programs do have job-training requirements.

Example from California:
Welfare-to-Work

Old 06-22-2013, 07:53 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually no. Social Security and Medicare are both welfare programs. You pay a tax, and that money gets spent, there is nothing that you paid into..
Come on, that's the dumbest thing ever.

Let's say you put money into your savings account. Then 20 years later you decide to spend it. Do you honestly think that actual money sat there for 20 years, waiting? Of course not. The bank spent it. Just because you don't get the exact same pennies and nickles back that you put in doesn't mean it isn't your money.

I know you're smarter than what you said.

And by the way, I pay a premium for Medicare every single month. It's no different than any other insurance.

Get a clue!

Sure, I may spend more than I put in, but all health insurance works that way. It's a huge, hideous Ponzi scheme. But Medicare doesn't work any differently than Blue Cross. You pay your premium, you file a claim when you need to. And I'd bet you don't think Blue Cross is a welfare program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies