Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Raise it, folks. . You've never gotten any use of a dime from the USA government. You've never had any sort of welfare.

I can't. Had free lunch as a kid and also ate government cheese sandwiches when I was a kid.
Not to mention food or fuel subsidies.
heck when I was a kid, there were no free lunches. My best friend all through jr and Sr high school and even as an adult until you passed away was a foster child for a few years. When she was returned to her mother who had no money, the kids still didn't get any benefits. Have I ever received any welfare? Heck no!!! Of course I do get SS and Medicare, but those are programs we have paid into for more years than we will ever receive them. My husband did get some gas subsidies last year when he was undergoing so many cancer treatments, but that was from private donations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm going to stick with direct:

Free lunch and Pell grant.

Anyone that gets inside state tuition at a college or university is subsidized. If you have a child and they go to public school it is subsidized but if you start down that path it just keeps going and going so I'll leave out the groups stuff.

I have used other government benefits that I considered earned and not welfare.
ok, I guess if you want to stretch it and list college tuition? Yes, I have received help; you could even take that to include public schools, but I don't think that is what Ford means...

Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Never.
The question wasn't just about welfare. Unless you are totally self suficient and I mean totally as in never buying anything and making everything you use, smelting your own ore and forging your own metals manufacturing everything you use yourself from your own raw materials you have benefitted from some sort of government subsidy. So tell us Finn how hard was it to make the devise you use to post on this forum? And this forum is an indirect result of government subsidies as the internet started with government funding.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
The question wasn't just about welfare.
My answer was. I have never, ever received any kind of welfare.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Public schools, WIC program, very short stint on food stamps as a young adult, and some free cheese during the same time period!

WIC and food stamps (and free cheese) helped me make ends meet when I was living below the poverty line with several small children. However, my husband and I were putting that public school education to good use and climbing out of poverty as quickly as possible.

We haven't gotten a tax refund check since the kids were little. Last year we paid in more than the average income for the US - so I'd say we have more than paid back what we received.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:25 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
College loans, GI bill, government cheese and peanut butter as a kid.
Mortgage deductions.

Never used public schools although I have no problem paying for education.
Never got breeder benefits either.
Smarty skirts.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:26 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
(duplicate post)

Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
heck when I was a kid, there were no free lunches. My best friend all through jr and Sr high school and even as an adult until you passed away was a foster child for a few years. When she was returned to her mother who had no money, the kids still didn't get any benefits. Have I ever received any welfare? Heck no!!! Of course I do get SS and Medicare, but those are programs we have paid into for more years than we will ever receive them. My husband did get some gas subsidies last year when he was undergoing so many cancer treatments, but that was from private donations.
I can't remember free lunches either, we, brother and myself always brown bagged. Who are these fortunate ones that got free lunches?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are not welfare, they simply mean YOU PAY a little less.

I also never spent a day in my life in a public school in US, so the school lunch does not apply to me either.
They are a subsidy.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Careful. These are liberals asking you this. People who think that, if the govt lets you write off the interest you pay on your mortgage and not pay income taxes on it, somehow that becomes "the govt paying you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies