Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

Raise your hand if you have never benefitted from a subsidy or welfare, American person.

Are you kidding? The big-govt fanatics have been cranking away for nearly eighty years. You can no more exist in this country without tripping over a govt handout, than you can without inhaling air pollution.

Why not ask:

Raise your hand if you would have been better off overall with govt never handing out any subsidies or welfare... and never charging you for them as a taxpayer.

And for extra credit, you can add:

...except for govt spending specifically authorized in the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Then why is SS based on your working years? Is the money taken out of paychecks a tax? I don't understand, but when you are paying out almost $500 a month to FICA, I call that money out of my pocket. I do not feel ashamed to be drawing my SS after 36 years of working. Should I just give it back?
I didnt say you should give it back, but its welfare. Thats how the US Government gets around not adding in what you believe is owed to you, into the national debt totals.

if it was your money, your estate would see it when you die, but clearly they dont.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
How like a bunch of liberals to spread government far and wide into areas where it's never been and doesn't belong, pack in as many subsides and freebies as possible, and then point to the result and say, "See? You never could have lived without all these subsidies!"

Old 06-24-2013, 03:01 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Every American benefits from some form of welfare or subsidy. EVERYBODY...it's unavoidable.

For example, our farm subsidies are a CHEAP FOOD POLICY program, and we ALL benefit from them unless you belong to some human species that doesn't buy groceries.

If you own a business and you have workers that received training with federal or state funds, you're benefiting from big government.

Even this internet we all use was created by the government, and it's made all of our lives easier AND cheaper.

Americans are addicted to big government and don't even realize it.

We're all interdependent.
I paid enough taxes so I don't think the government gave me more indirectly than I gave them. As for the roads.. we pay for them every time we buy a gallon of gas.. the taxes on that gallon go to build the roads. The government would NOT EXIST without the taxpayer!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Alot of people who pay into social security and medicare drop dead before they get a dime .. or get one or two years of SS and die. They worked so hard to keep up with paying taxes they got no benefits. And the lazy ones sit on the couch sucking off the tax payers who worked hard for years.
I was the primary (only) caregiver for a fella who died 2 months before he was eligible to draw his SS.

I plan to live long enough to get what both of us paid in. lol

Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So if it was a federal program and it was not implemented in your area, would'nt that be the fault of your local officals?
In my day no one wanted a hand out.. plain and simple.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...yadda, yadda, yadda. Give it a rest.

Yea, your grandfather walked to school barefoot in the snow going uphill both ways.

As long as handouts have been available, there were Americans taking them...including the people in your neck of the woods.

It didn't. People in his area had their hands out the same as everyone else.

Yea, because people in New Jersey are all rugged individualists. Uh huh.

Trust me...it was implemented in his area. Big time.
Nope again.. no one ever talked about getting a hand out from the government.. we heard JFK in the sixties saying ''Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country''.. and that message was implimented in our town.. no one ever heard of a government program because we were not looking for a hand out.

We also were able to read the bible in grammar school till they took prayer out of school and it went down hill from there.

Yes, we didn't have school buses either in grammar school or high school. We all had to walk up to a mile or more to get to school in the neighborhood I lived in. No one complained and no one had to walk us to school either in the younger grades.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Tax deductions for mortgage or donations?
When a mugger doesn't steal your wedding ring after taking all your cash, he didn't GIVE YOU YOUR WEDDING RING.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Tax deductions for mortgage or donations?
That's assuming the government feels entitled to our money, and allows us to keep some of it.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Raise it, folks. . You've never gotten any use of a dime from the USA government. You've never had any sort of welfare.

I can't. Had free lunch as a kid and also ate government cheese sandwiches when I was a kid.
Not to mention food or fuel subsidies.
Here here. Never in my life have I taken one single dime of handout from Uncle Sam. I guess I'm a rarity these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies