Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how offended are you by the N word
It doesn't offend me at all 55 27.64%
It only offends me when used in a racist manner 33 16.58%
It offends me........period 51 25.63%
it's the worst word in the English laungauge 4 2.01%
people are too politically correct in this country........give it a rest 56 28.14%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM

322 posts, read 581,691 times

Advertisements

I am biracial, but I consider myself black. When I'm around my black family and friends, it's an n-word slugfest. When I'm around the white side, the elders don't use the word, but my younger cousins use it in a playful manner. But I'm from the Bahamas, which is mostly black. So black and white people say it with reckless abandon. It fazes no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,506,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
I am biracial, but I consider myself black. When I'm around my black family and friends, it's an n-word slugfest. When I'm around the white side, the elders don't use the word, but my younger cousins use it in a playful manner. But I'm from the Bahamas, which is mostly black. So black and white people say it with reckless abandon. It fazes no one.
I am full black and no one around me, family or friends, has an "n word slug fest". I think maybe it's a class thing.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,009,081 times
I'm white, and don't like to hear it. I was in Mount Vernon NY today for work. Mostly black community. Whether it was the music of cara driving by or just people talking, I can't count how many times I heard the n word today.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,006,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I am full black and no one around me, family or friends, has an "n word slug fest". I think maybe it's a class thing.
Come on...what's with the bourgeoisie nonsense?

When real down home black folks get together, we let it all hang out. Little pretence and frontin' ain't allowed lest you be put in your place. Drinking, eating and talking CASH SH*T rules the day. To hell with stupid notions of class and other nonsense. We save that stuff for when we have to go out in the real world...with each other, that uptight nonsense is DEAD.

If you're really black, you'd know this. Now I'm not saying that it becomes an N word festival, but we damn sure toss it around jokingly and it's no big deal.

And we're not low class...most of us have decent educations and my own father is at least mildly wealthy himself.

It's only a word...it's not some huge indicator of class, although I'll agree that using it around non blacks is a no go and causes confusion. But that doesn't make the word evil or classless in every case.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,006,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Eh, it's beside the point, anyway. And, you're right, we'll leave that kind of talk to the perpetual bottom feaders, career wal-mart cart pushers, and the tax moochers.

The rest of us, this is a non-issue, and life will go on!
No, it's not beside the point. You don't use it because you can't...that's all there is to it.

All the other tripe about Wal-Mart and bottom feeders is what's beside the point.

There. Now you know.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 PM

322 posts, read 581,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

When real down home black folks get together, we let it all hang out. Little pretence and frontin' ain't allowed lest you be put in your place. Drinking, eating and talking CASH SH*T rules the day. To hell with stupid notions of class and other nonsense. We save that stuff for when we have to go out in the real world...with each other, that uptight nonsense is DEAD.

If you're really black, you'd know this. Now I'm not saying that it becomes an N word festival, but we damn sure toss it around jokingly and it's no big deal.

And we're not low class...most of us have decent educations and my own father is at least mildly wealthy himself.

It's only a word...it's not some huge indicator of class, although I'll agree that using it around non blacks is a no go and causes confusion. But that doesn't make the word evil or classless in every case.
^^^^All this. My father owns 4 gambling houses, which I'm preeeeeetty sure he makes $2 million+ a year from. I went to Yale Law School. Every time we get together, it's still a big hoedown hootnanny full of backwater Caribbeans that play dominoes and drink Goombay Punch and Hennessy all day.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:

If you're really black, you'd know this. Now I'm saying that it becomes an N word festival, but we damn sure toss it around jokingly and it's no big deal.

no offense, but you don't know me. i'm from the suburbs and I'm a grown woman of 35. to throw around even the "gga" version is a bit immature. I'm not in the back of my friend's beater listening to snoop dogg and it's not 1993.

Last edited by Californian34; 06-26-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
Quote:

Not at my house or in my social circle. Solidly in the no camp.

And I really hate this black as monolith in experience and behavior business.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

this right here.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,446,499 times
Do you honestly need to be reminded that Black Americans are not monolithic in all of our experiences?

Quote:

ETA....you beat me to it Jade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not at my house or in my social circle. Solidly in the no camp.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies