Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how offended are you by the N word
It doesn't offend me at all 55 27.64%
It only offends me when used in a racist manner 33 16.58%
It offends me........period 51 25.63%
it's the worst word in the English laungauge 4 2.01%
people are too politically correct in this country........give it a rest 56 28.14%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Using them to defend your acceptance of racism?Pitiful.
I don't "accept" racism.

It's all around us.

It's like being offended by the word "redneck", but going to see Jeff Foxworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:52 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,284,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not at all.

There are many, many very decent black people that I know.

However, ALL of the music that they tend to like use that word consistently.

If they demand that their music stars stop using the word, I'll then find the use of it offensive.

This is dumb thinking. Language is all about context and relationships.

If I call my wife a special nickname that I have for her, and you over hear me saying that nickname, you'd know immediately it would be inappropiate for you to use the same nickname with her as I did.

You'd know this because you understand that you don't have the same relationship with her as I do so that relationship gives me access to use certain words with her that you don't have.

You wouldn't go around saying well her husband calls her that nickname why can't I and pretend that if I don't want anyone to call my wife that nickname, then I shouldn't call her that nickname.

Everyone would look at a person who made that argument as if they were an alien who didn't understand human language or relationships.

This is an uncontroversial understanding of human language, that is it about context and relationships. This applies to all language all the time and we all understand this application. Now stop being silly.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 PM

39,023 posts, read 51,075,331 times
Quote:
Not at all.

There are many, many very decent black people that I know.

However, ALL of the music that they tend to like use that word consistently.

If they demand that their music stars stop using the word, I'll then find the use of it offensive.
So when your fishing buddy comes over and calls you a "dumb SOB" or a "fat f**k" - because of that you would not care if I called you that? Obviously there is more to it than you are capable of grasping, you dumb SOB. Get it?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:58 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It offends me because I was raised with the idea that it's not a word you can use -- .
This, pretty much.
I'm not very PC at all but it's been ingrained in me for 50-some years that this is a very bad word and while I know it's "just a word" I find it offensive.
And I live near a city that is majority black so I hear this word a lot in casual use.
Don't care; I still find it offensive and I cannot imagine using it.
I also have black friends who (hard to believe, I know) do NOT listen to rap or hiphop or music that tends to make liberal use of the n-word and the b-word (and damn I do wish this site was adult enough to allow use of actual words, even if offensive...!)

Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,436,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
how much does the N word offend you?
It doesn't offend me.

[but I understand why it would offend others]

Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Well, I can't care, one way or another about the word, in general. But, the word police have gone after, and made unacceptable, words that merely SOUND, similar, to the dreaded N word. That's just a bit over the top. Rather TOO sensitive. My reasoning says, if its ok for some folks to say and use in daily language, its ok for all. Ain't no such critter as a "bad good word. If it's offensive, then that it is. There shouldn't be a double standard.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:09 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,927,350 times
Most people live with its use in all its forms. It only makes news when someone famous gets the snot slapped out of them for using the word. No one care what I think, but everyone sure cares about what the woman cook thinks.

Sucks for her.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM

12,268 posts, read 6,440,885 times
Quote:
I don't "accept" racism.

It's all around us.

It's like being offended by the word "redneck", but going to see Jeff Foxworthy.
No,"redneck" and "ni**er are not on the same level.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
I am not offended by any word.

I am offended by the idea that being referred to by a race or a female quality or organ is supposed to be an insult.

THAT is offensive.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,225,553 times
My nephew sometimes refers to himself as "n.igga" to his friends - alas, they are also "n.iggaz," as he says. I suppose it's alright since he's black. Apparently, it's only offensive if uttered by a non-black person and only in certain circumstances (such a older people or if the addressed person decides to be offended by it).

Ridiculous! He's a kid - and from what I hear around me, calling each other n.igga is perfectly acceptable among the younger generation, even in racially mixed groups of friends where the term is used to refer to white friends as well... Go figure. Looks like the word's meaning is changing.

And what the fuq is up with this crappy word censorship that censors arrangements of letters that are not even official words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies