Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 09:40 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
lol- tried to write to Sen. Bill Frist- his email was not taking letters No surprise there. He's too busy spending his money to care about his constituents.
"Since October of 2001, the delivery of mail to Senate offices has been disrupted several times – first by letters laced with anthrax, and then a second time by mail contaminated with ricin. Both incidents resulted in suspension of mail deliveries until mail-handling procedures could be reassessed and improved. The individuals responsible for these mailings have not been identified to date.

New security procedures have been implemented to try to safeguard the mail and the health and well being of those who handle it. However, those procedures can delay the delivery of mail to Senate offices from a few days to several weeks. "

Considering the long period of time it takes to send a letter by snail mail with a possible delay of several weeks (), if it gets there at all, I would think that representatives should be required to have some electronic means of communication with constituents. I mean, if they are representing us, shouldn't we be able to voice our concerns? (I know, it's not about that anymore) My senators, luckily, have forms on their pages (McCain and Kyl). I'm guessing the response will be "point taken, but we need to finish what we started, blah blah blah". (as if we can force a totally different culture to adopt the American way quickly). My rep in the house is Jeff Flake and he also has an electronic form. Hopefully, he'll be the one to really listen.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
"Since October of 2001, the delivery of mail to Senate offices has been disrupted several times – first by letters laced with anthrax, and then a second time by mail contaminated with ricin.

Considering the long period of time it takes to send a letter by snail mail with a possible delay of several weeks (), if it gets there at all, I would think that representatives should be required to have some electronic means of communication with constituents.
Did anyone ever find out who sent those letters anyway? What became of that investigation?

I do believe that most if not all Representatives and Senators have either a fax number or an email or both. Even in backwater Tennessee I have found sending a fax to my congressman is the best way to get a response because they actually have to lean over and put it in the trash as opposed to just deleting it.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Did anyone ever find out who sent those letters anyway? What became of that investigation?

I do believe that most if not all Representatives and Senators have either a fax number or an email or both. Even in backwater Tennessee I have found sending a fax to my congressman is the best way to get a response because they actually have to lean over and put it in the trash as opposed to just deleting it.
Lol. You mean, one of their aides has to lean over and throw it in the trash I doubt the actual congressperson ever sees it.

That quote I posted just says that the individuals were never identified. I don't know if anyone's still investigating. If they are, I'm sure it's not a high priority since keeping the culprits loose gives them justification for inspecting mail, etc.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Lol. You mean, one of their aides has to lean over and throw it in the trash I doubt the actual congressperson ever sees it.

That quote I posted just says that the individuals were never identified. I don't know if anyone's still investigating. If they are, I'm sure it's not a high priority since keeping the culprits loose gives them justification for inspecting mail, etc.
Well for what it is worth, I have not only receieved hand written letters from my congressman but an actual phone call to my home by him in person. I am not sure it is just just this man or this region but I don't recall ever hearing back from my congressman in Florida. Just so you all know, I am just as blunt with him as I am on here.

As to those anthrax and ricin letters, I doubt much has ever really been done, after all, without a boogyman who would the people have to be afraid of.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Well for what it is worth, I have not only receieved hand written letters from my congressman but an actual phone call to my home by him in person. I am not sure it is just just this man or this region but I don't recall ever hearing back from my congressman in Florida. Just so you all know, I am just as blunt with him as I am on here.

As to those anthrax and ricin letters, I doubt much has ever really been done, after all, without a boogyman who would the people have to be afraid of.
That's exactly right. No boogeyman=no fear=less need for our valiant heroes on white horses

Wow, I'm really impressed that you have received handwritten letters and phone calls. That says a lot about that particular rep of yours

Old 11-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
That's exactly right. No boogeyman=no fear=less need for our valiant heroes on white horses

Wow, I'm really impressed that you have received handwritten letters and phone calls. That says a lot about that particular rep of yours
Bart Gordon, district 6 in Tennessee. (D) but moderate to conservative, pretty typical southern democrat. Of course I write fairly often and it is a rural district so that very well may be the case.

I would be willing to bet that if more people took the time to write or contact their congress persons, they might be surprised, after all it is in part their function to listen to the concerns of their constituents. It is the average persons best means of influencing the federal government outside of being a lobbyist. Think how few people take the time to vote, let alone write a decent letter to these folks.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Bart Gordon, district 6 in Tennessee. (D) but moderate to conservative, pretty typical southern democrat. Of course I write fairly often and it is a rural district so that very well may be the case.

I would be willing to bet that if more people took the time to write or contact their congress persons, they might be surprised, after all it is in part their function to listen to the concerns of their constituents. It is the average persons best means of influencing the federal government outside of being a lobbyist. Think how few people take the time to vote, let alone write a decent letter to these folks.
It might make some of the more conscientious reps glad that some of their constituents care as well.

I agree. I should make an effort to write more often.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:52 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Everyone on the House side maintains a significant staff devoted to constituent services. On the Senate side, things are a little different, but if you write your Congressman, you should virtually always get a response of some sort. If you really want to make a point, it's in your reply to that initial response that it will actually be made. Letters should be short and to the point. Cover one topic. Do not go into infinite detail. Be courteous. Snail-mail is best, e-mail is okay.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
"Since October of 2001, the delivery of mail to Senate offices has been disrupted several times – first by letters laced with anthrax, and then a second time by mail contaminated with ricin. Both incidents resulted in suspension of mail deliveries until mail-handling procedures could be reassessed and improved. The individuals responsible for these mailings have not been identified to date.

New security procedures have been implemented to try to safeguard the mail and the health and well being of those who handle it. However, those procedures can delay the delivery of mail to Senate offices from a few days to several weeks. "

Considering the long period of time it takes to send a letter by snail mail with a possible delay of several weeks (), if it gets there at all, I would think that representatives should be required to have some electronic means of communication with constituents. I mean, if they are representing us, shouldn't we be able to voice our concerns? (I know, it's not about that anymore) My senators, luckily, have forms on their pages (McCain and Kyl). I'm guessing the response will be "point taken, but we need to finish what we started, blah blah blah". (as if we can force a totally different culture to adopt the American way quickly). My rep in the house is Jeff Flake and he also has an electronic form. Hopefully, he'll be the one to really listen.
It would be nice if you could get a "read receipt" at least before they trash it

Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Those individuals who voted Bush into the White House must feel like Horse manure right now, particularly about the direction (down hill fast) he has taken not only the United States, but the entire World. Although those voters who put Bush into office seem to always put on a good "game face" in public, they have to be totally humiliated, disgraced and regretful about not only their association with Mr.Bush, but also their decision to put him into office.

Again, I was pondering if any of you have any sympathy for these individuals and the depressed state of mind they must be in right now.
I feel no sympathy for these people. I instead feel a tremendous sense of pride that I didn't vote for Bush and that my initial hunch about him was entirely correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies