Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,657,415 times

Advertisements

Could you all stop celebrating the impoverished state of the African American community, please?

I mean, every time I look up I see something or the other about the ill state of the Black community and how "we had it coming for helping elect an incompetent leader just because he's black..."

When was the last time "your people" (as designated by people that aren't yours, apparently) were so severely oppressed that just 50 years prior you all weren't considered worthy of fitting into mainstream society only to now have one of your own assume the highest office in the free world? The turnaround has been fast. Could you honestly say that if you were black and had grown up in that culture, you wouldn't have voted for him?

Meanwhile, you have people like me looking around like "now what?". Black people, for one of the first times in history, have ascended politically. Artistically and athletically we have broken new ground...but politically, these are new waters.

I'd say the sentiment among many african american youth, in particular, males, is that of 'good for him, now what am I supposed to do?'.

The fact that a black president wouldn't change much doesn't even come as a surprise to most of us. Instead of the "we have arrived" sentiment I think many people think we think, the attitude is more one of "where are we going?". That's the difference.

Quote:
Tired of the same ish, don't know who to blame ish, and we knew a black president wouldn't change ish...
And I didn't even vote for the guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,274,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
All colleges are facing a squeeze.

It's not all Obama's fault. There were things set in place before he ever took office.
Absolutely! The consistent rise in college tuition, when I started at PSU in 1982 it was about 89.00 a credit now it is damn near 200.00 for one. But yet they are constantly begging the alumni for money Meanwhile the football coaches are constantly getting raises in the millions.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I went to a HBCU for undergrad nothing but a sea of black faces. Sure there were a few Whites and non Blacks but to suggest HBCUs are not black schools is laughable.
Because you have no desire to understand/learn about Black American history because have repeatly denounce any and everything that relates to it, so of course you would not feel comfortable in a "sea of black faces". People like you would feel right at home at the University of North Dakota, but you really need to be at Ole Miss maybe there you will learn the you are not who you think that you are.

I went and graduated from Penn State and I know what it feels like to be somewhere and be the only black face in a sea of white ones, so why is that accepted and the opposite is not in your opinion?
I attended Hampton University for a year while I was in the military and would have stayed but they did not have my major. It was refreshing to be able to go to a school and learn African American history and not worry about racist instructors (which I had to contend with at PSU). I recommend at everyone should be able to go to a school and not have to worry about racism or inadequate history lessons. This holds true for second or third generation immigrants who are confused about what the history of this country was all about.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,324,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Absolutely! The consistent rise in college tuition, when I started at PSU in 1982 it was about 89.00 a credit now it is damn near 200.00 for one. But yet they are constantly begging the alumni for money Meanwhile the football coaches are constantly getting raises in the millions.
HBCUs have been running a scam for years. I attended BCC (back before it was BCU) and nearly all the upperclassmen has been there for 5 years and STILL weren't about to graduate. The counselors encourage you to attend part-time so you can enjoy the full experience. Go to the football games, join the marching band, attend the pep rallies, pledge to a sorority and attend all their social functions. Very little emphasis on education. Not one of my friends who I started with actually graduated from there; everyone transferred out to somewhere else.

They picked my classes for me because you don't officially declare a major until your junior year; so they had me taking fluff classes. Algebra 101 and Spanish 1...which were easier than my high school courses. Classes were cancelled on away game days so we could ride the charter bus to support the football team. The dorms were in the middle of the hood; the pizza man nor the city bus actually came near campus. You had to walk to the corner to pick up your food. i had a Bright Futures scholarship & a Pell Grant but they STILL tried to get me to take a Direct Plus loan...I didn't understand what it was for so I called my mom. The money left over from my financial aid was given to me in Bethune Bucks, which were like cash on campus and several businesses that supported the school.

I left after one semester and trans to UCF, which was not only cheaper but much more like a college than a fun place to hangout and read a book sometimes. I know some die hard BCC alumni who swear that my experience was of my own doing but it wasn't me who built the raggedy dorm I was living in (Joyner) which is affectionately referred to as the "ho hall" because all the freshmen girls would get dressed up and go stand out in front of it waiting for guys to pass by on their way to the cafe...it was literally a hot mess.

It should be clear there's a problem when all they ever talk about is Football Rivals and the marching bands...um lets talk about your graduation rates? No...okay

Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
HBCUs have been running a scam for years. I attended BCC (back before it was BCU) and nearly all the upperclassmen has been there for 5 years and STILL weren't about to graduate. The counselors encourage you to attend part-time so you can enjoy the full experience. Go to the football games, join the marching band, attend the pep rallies, pledge to a sorority and attend all their social functions. Very little emphasis on education. Not one of my friends who I started with actually graduated from there; everyone transferred out to somewhere else.

Apparently that must have been the only school that you ever gone to, because the average graduation time in the majority of state schools is 5-6 years. This is not common to just HBCUs

They picked my classes for me because you don't officially declare a major until your junior year; so they had me taking fluff classes. Algebra 101 and Spanish 1...which were easier than my high school courses. Classes were cancelled on away game days so we could ride the charter bus to support the football team. The dorms were in the middle of the hood; the pizza man nor the city bus actually came near campus. You had to walk to the corner to pick up your food. i had a Bright Futures scholarship & a Pell Grant but they STILL tried to get me to take a Direct Plus loan...I didn't understand what it was for so I called my mom. The money left over from my financial aid was given to me in Bethune Bucks, which were like cash on campus and several businesses that supported the school.

Ok, so can you imagine a D-1 school with a nationally ranked school? Their main goal is to make money and eduaction is secondary unless your school has a massive endowment like Harvard. Many student are their to have fun and if they are lucky they will graduate in a reasonable amount of time. For that reason alone is why it is so easy to get college loans. So if you are there to study and graduate on time there is no reason why you have to attend any or ever social or sporting event

I left after one semester and trans to UCF, which was not only cheaper but much more like a college than a fun place to hangout and read a book sometimes. I know some die hard BCC alumni who swear that my experience was of my own doing but it wasn't me who built the raggedy dorm I was living in (Joyner) which is affectionately referred to as the "ho hall" because all the freshmen girls would get dressed up and go stand out in front of it waiting for guys to pass by on their way to the cafe...it was literally a hot mess.

I don't doubt it, but my experiences at Hampton U was completely different. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and a pretty good learning environment, much better than PSU

It should be clear there's a problem when all they ever talk about is Football Rivals and the marching bands...um lets talk about your graduation rates? No...okay
That is not entirely the schools fault, the students have to take responsiblity at some point.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,324,997 times
Okay I'm gonna address everything you said here.

Quote:
Apparently that must have been the only school that you ever gone to, because the average graduation time in the majority of state schools is 5-6 years. This is not common to just HBCUs
Had been there for 5 years and STILL weren't about to graduate....there's a difference between being a 5th junior/senior and being a 5th year student.

Quote:
Ok, so can you imagine a D-1 school with a nationally ranked school? Their main goal is to make money and eduaction is secondary unless your school has a massive endowment like Harvard. Many student are their to have fun and if they are lucky they will graduate in a reasonable amount of time. For that reason alone is why it is so easy to get college loans. So if you are there to study and graduate on time there is no reason why you have to attend any or ever social or sporting event
Actually when I toured FSU (who is much more athletically competitive than BCC) they told me they have counselors in place to help you balance social activity with your school work. UCF (which I was told is a party school and the initials stand for U Can't Finish) had a similar program. And I personally have never heard of another school cancelling classes just because of an away game; hell at UCF we had classes during Homecoming. Some teachers elected to cancel but certainly not a campus shut-down.

Quote:
I don't doubt it, but my experiences at Hampton U was completely different. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and a pretty good learning environment, much better than PSU
I have a cousin who graduated from Hampton; she was my main inspiration for going to an HBCU. I guess I should edit that my comments about HBCU's are on the ones that I personally have experience with, which would be BCC and FAMU. I think both are tragic jokes when it comes to higher education. When the hazing incident made national news the staff acted like they were shocked. My freshmen year we were all marched into the auditorium and given lime green visors, which indicated we were "crabs" and we supposed to wear them at all times (all in fun haha)..the upper classmen would come in our dorms and go through our food and declare "crabs can't have cookies" (haha)...i was also in the Marching Band for my brief stint there and the upper classmen basically run the band, with the director only showing up when its time to run the numbers. They said the most hurtful things and then if you cried or even looked like you wanted to say something back, they made you run laps...all in the name of black unity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That is not entirely the schools fault, the students have to take responsiblity at some point.
I agree but my problem with BCC was that a lot of it was the staff urging the students to "only take 1 or 2 classes a semester so you can enjoy the college life" or "take out an extra loan" or "don't worry about your major right now let us just choose classes for you". I had a mother who I could call whenever I didn't understand or agree with what they were talking about but a lot of my dorm mates were first generation college kids OR legacies so they just went along with whatever the school told them. I feel they intentionally took advantage of the students their supposed to be educating.

Oh and when I transferred not ONE of those classes were transferable because they were not 3000 level classes so I had to start over from scratch.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol an exception doesn't disprove the rule. When Howard becomes majority White let me know. Then you may have a point.
It proably will never be majority white simply because there are better schools that make some whites feel more comfortable. Thus the same reason why many black kids go to HBCUs

Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM

I I agree but my problem with BCC was that a lot of it was the counselors urging the students to "only take 1 or 2 classes a semester so you can enjoy the college life" or "take out an extra loan". I had a mother who I could call whenever I didn't understand or agree with what they were talking about but a lot of my dorm mates were first generation college kids OR legacies so they just went along with whatever the school told them. I feel they intentionally took advantage of the students their supposed to be educating.[/quote]

I will also admit that some HBCUs are jokes just like any other college. When I was at PSU, I had a counselor that told me that I needed to take a certain computer class, and after struggling through the class and eventually failing, my professor asked me why was my major and when I told him HPA (Health Policy Administration) he told me that I did not need his class and I should have been taking an introductory computer class instead of a PROGRAMING class. Not only did my counselor did not care he did nothing to rectify his mistake, and since it was a 4 credit class my GPA dropped. I had other bad experiences at PSU and one was a major racial one. If I could have stayed at Hampton I would have and never stepped on PSU's campus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies